Need new mobo + processor, must support DDR2

rahulbasu

Broken In
I've got a few computers set up for local children to learn. I'm planning to upgrade to Win 8. I'm currently running Win 8 CP, but cannot upgrade to Win 8 as the processor doesn't support NX.

I've looked for LGA775 processors, but except for second hand ones on ebay.in, I can't really find any that make sense - e5700 is not in stock anywhere (except ebay again).

So I'm planning to change mobo and processor to a 1155 socket.

I currently have DDR2 ram, so would like to maintain that. Also, the cabinet takes ATX, not micro-ATX.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks for the assistance.
Rahul

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
So I'm planning to change mobo and processor to a 1155 socket.

I currently have DDR2 ram, so would like to maintain that. Also, the cabinet takes ATX, not micro-ATX.

LGA1155 doesn't support DDR2 RAM.
TO use DDR2 RAM you can't go beyond LGA775, and those processor + motherboards are EOL'ed long ago.
You can search for them but nobody can't assure you about the availability.

Naxal

Little Kid
DDR2 prices are now days so high that you can trade a 4GB second hand without warranty 800 MHz DDR-II with a brand new 1333 MHz value DDR-III.

Its better to trade the DDR2 with DDR3 from local shops and opt for Intel Pentium Dual Core G645 with MSI/Gigabyte H61 (low budget series) motherboard. That combo should be costing you around Rs. 6k

Thanks.

OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
Thanks. Thinking of going with

Intel G530 - Rs. 2311 (didn't find G645 on Flipkart, only this, G620 and G630)
Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P Motherboard - Rs. 3141
Transcend DDR3-1333 DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (JM1333KLN-4G) - Rs. 1038

Any suggestions ?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Motheroard : Asus P8H61-M LX @ 2.8k
Ram : 4GB Corsair VS 1333 Mhz @ ~1.05k

Top Bottom