Need more linux space!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
I'm running a dual boot of Ubuntu & Windows XP. Now at the time of installation of Ubuntu, I'd not given the linux partition a whole lot of space (just 3.5GB!). Now that I'm using linux more as my primary OS, I'm running out of space!

Now I have partition magic in windows. Can I use it to resize the partitions, as in to increase the size of the linux partition? Will it cause me to loose my data?

If not, how do I go about it?

Cheers
Aditya

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Adit Sen, I don't understand why you gave 3.5 GB for Linux!! You know very well
that Linux needs 7 or 8 GB for root & atleast 500 MB for swap. If you are using Linux
as primary O.S better give root ('/')15 GB & for swap 1.5 GB. Regarding resizing
partitions in Ubuntu, there's a package available called 'qtparted'. It's similar to
Partition Magic. You can create, move, resize, delete partitions with it. Caution:
Resizing the partition may cause loss of data & may also do a bit of
damage to Ubuntu O.S!!

To install 'qtparted' package, open the Terminal Window & type:
$ sudo apt-get install qtparted

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
Ok. So once i install gparted, how to I go about resizing it? If its the same as partition magic, can't I just use that? I'm quite comfortable using partition magic as I have used it many times before and I've never suffered any data loss.
But if gparted is the way to go, its fine by me as long as I dont loose any data or have to end up installing Ubuntu again, which would defeat the whole purpose.

Cheers
Aditya

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Gparted would be a better choice.. Cuz i know for sure it resizes NTFS perfectly..

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
alrightey then. gparted does not work for me. i installed it, started it up. it lists all my partitons n stuff, but all options are disabled. i even unmounted the partitions i wanted to modyify but the options for 'resize / move' are still disabled!!
any help?

praka123

left this forum longback
make sure u ran gparted as root/sudo user.or try launching from a terminal as "sudo gparted"

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Boot using Ubuntu 6.06 CD. it works as a Live CD now. Press 'Alt + F2' , this brings
the 'Run application' dialog. Type 'gksu gparted' (without quotes).Click on 'Run' button.
This will run the 'gparted' application. Now resize whichever partition you want to.
This should work definitely.

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
i am running it as sudo (even tried gksu). same problem.
tried with the live cd too. only available option is to format the partitions, which i dont want to do

Ah. Don't bother. I just used partition magic. Worked perfectly.
Thanks anyhow

Cheers
Aditya

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom