Need Laptop optical disc drive adapter to add another HDD.

Chetan1991

Youngling
I'm looking to replace my laptop's HDD *www.digit.in/forum/storage/185884-need-best-performing-2-5-internal-hdd-within-4k.html (please visit if you can help), but hig performance HDDs don't have large capacity or are quite expensive for large capacities.

So I thought I could just add another HDD via an ODD adapter to my laptop. But I don't know whether laptop ODDs have standard sizes or do I need to look for a specific model compatible with my 4 year old Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop.

I would like to have your input if you've added a second HDD to your laptop via an ODD adapter. Can I fit any adapter, what HDD form factor (7mm or 9.5mm) do I need etc?

What your'e looking for is an optical drive caddy. There are 2 sizes that's common for laptops: 12.7 and 9.5 mm. Measure your bay's size and buy the relevant one.

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
I measured my ODD from the outside and it is 1.7cm tall. The prices for caddies are around 1k online. Is that too much and is it available for cheap offline?

It might be cheaper offline but hard to get. you'll need the 12.7mm bay I think. Make sure it's the right standard (SATA)

Top Bottom