Need help with Win 10

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok,try this from xp system by logging into win 10 system from xp:
How to connect Windows XP to printer connected to Windows 10 Pro - Super Use
You have to see the printer in explorer - so you have to log into \\Win10MachineName (with valid credentials)
Add Printer - LOCAL Printer, new Local Port : \\Win10MachineName\sharedPrinter (e.g \\MyComp\HP1005)
If the port is in use, find it in existing Local Ports

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
It didn't work. We followed all the posts mentioned in this thread. Any help if we want to connect xp pc>win 10 laptop with wire and then print?

- - - Updated - - -

Another update-

The network guy came. He connected the pc and the laptop via the cable. The drives of Xp are being shared on 10. But we are not able to connect the printer in xp. Check this error-

*oi65.tinypic.com/14c5lpk.jpg

It asks for a password when we click on connect printer in xp. When we enter the username(workgroup name) and the password that we use to enter into the laptop, the MS account one, we cannot stop it from coming on the boot screen everytime. Is that fine?

Why is it asking for a password?

When we connect both computers via ip, nothing works. No internet no networking in the pc with xp. 10 is connected via wifi to the internet. The isp is airtel which uses dynamic ip. Is this an issue?

10 is automatically detecting the wifi as a public group. Is that the reason why in xp it asks for a password? How to change it to private?

The networking guy took 1000rs. for the cable, but nothing is working :(

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I think the answer to our question lies in the following links, I am just not able to interpret it in a noob language

How to connect Windows XP to printer connected to Windows 10 Pro - Super Use

How to share a printer on Windows 10 without homegroups? - Super Use

Kindly check them

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] [MENTION=86068]dashing.sujay[/MENTION]

Can you please please explain this, Add remote printer on XP machine via installing remote shared Win10 printer as local printer on XP machine connected thru local port: \\yourWin10machine\sharedPrinter.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Did you check this link ?

Add Shared Printer as a Local Printer :: Admin :: Admin Tips :: Windows 7 :: Windows Server 2012/2008/2003/2000/XP/NT Administrator Knowledge Base :: KBase Tips :: WindowsNetworking.com

It tells step by step how to add shared printer as local.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It asks for a password when we click on connect printer in xp. When we enter the username(workgroup name) and the password that we use to enter into the laptop, the MS account one, we cannot stop it from coming on the boot screen everytime. Is that fine?
Need details,workgroup is different from local account so what exactly are you using & what do you mean by it coming on boot screen every time.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect

Thanks a lot guys it worked. Thank you for all your help and time.

Take a bow.

One more thing, we are planning to do networking of this same win 10 machine with another win xp computer. Since the tech guy did all the networking before, so could you please share the steps as in how to do networking between win 10 machine and another win xp computer? We want to share drives to copy, paste stuff. Kindly see that it should not affect the networking done earlier+the new networking should not mess with the printer settings.

- - - Updated - - -

An update-

All the devices at our place were connected via wifi, suddenly the wifi connection was lost in Win 10 although in other devices it was working. So, we restarted the Windows and it showed the restart logo and below that restarting was written. We waited for about 30 minutes and then we turned it off from the main button. We did not install any software though we installed Connectify yesterday, it did not work so we unistalled it. Check this error-

Connectify error.jpg

What's Ap mode btw? And why is it not present in Win 10?

Now the boot time has increased a lot. In Task Manager>>Startup the boot time is mentioned 5.2 seconds but it takes a lot of time to boot up. Any troubleshooting that we can do? Or any other steps?

One more reason to make the recovery discs eh? Still not getting the time to do so :(

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
One more thing, we are planning to do networking of this same win 10 machine with another win xp computer. Since the tech guy did all the networking before, so could you please share the steps as in how to do networking between win 10 machine and another win xp computer? We want to share drives to copy, paste stuff. Kindly see that it should not affect the networking done earlier+the new networking should not mess with the printer settings.

You just have to enter IP manually in LAN adapter IPv4 properties. Check it in the currently configured systems, and assign a subsequent IP.

What's Ap mode btw? And why is it not present in Win 10?

AP = Access Point. It is a functionality which enables other devices to connect wirelessly via the AP device which usually is any wireless card/router.

It's not OS dependent, rather your device which you plugged in, the portable wifi adapter, does not support AP mode as per Connectify.

Now the boot time has increased a lot. In Task Manager>>Startup the boot time is mentioned 5.2 seconds but it takes a lot of time to boot up. Any troubleshooting that we can do? Or any other steps?

Run CCleaner.

Disable unnecessary start up programs and services.

Uninstall unnecessary programs.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Thanks for replying dear.

You just have to enter IP manually in LAN adapter IPv4 properties. Check it in the currently configured systems, and assign a consequent IP.

That's too complex for me. Can you explain that? Also the guy who installed the wires did not assign any ip to xp and 10 for the printer sharing thing. How to do that?

AP = Access Point. It is a functionality which enables other devices to connect wirelessly via the AP device which usually is any wireless card/router.It's not OS dependent, rather your device which you plugged in, the portable wifi adapter, does not support AP mode as per Connectify.

I don't get it. My friend uses the same software in Windows 7 in a laptop and it works great. Another friend of mine use it in his pc and it works well. So, what exactly is our laptop missing?

Run CCleaner.>>>> Will do.
Disable unnecessary start up programs and services.>>>>> Already disabled few, few days back.
Uninstall unnecessary programs.>>>> Didn't install anything, except firefox, winamp etc. The laptop is having some preinstalled softwares like cyberlink(didn't want that, but don't have a cd burning sofware compatible with 10) etc.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect

Dear Brothers,

We have got a new pc with Windows 10 at home. How to do networking between Windows 10 and Windows XP? Last time we called in the tech guy and he did some settings from Windows>>Run to do networking. The workgroup names of both the pc's are same.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
These links might help you:

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows - Windows Help

Solved Sharing files on Windows 10 to Windows XP - Windows 10 Forums

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
These links might help you:

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows - Windows Help

Solved Sharing files on Windows 10 to Windows XP - Windows 10 Forums

I checked both links yesterday via Google. The thing is that we do not want to share any files, only the printer which will be connected to Win 10 to the pc with Win XP. The pc with 10 is connected via wifi and the pc with xp via lan to the modem. What the tech guy did was, of the little what I remember assign an ip to xp, then set some command //win 10 pc name or win xp pc name in run(win key+r) and voila the pc's were connected and then with your help we are able to share the printer with some link mentioned in the thread.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I checked both links yesterday via Google. The thing is that we do not want to share any files, only the printer which will be connected to Win 10 to the pc with Win XP. The pc with 10 is connected via wifi and the pc with xp via lan to the modem. What the tech guy did was, of the little what I remember assign an ip to xp(not sure about this) then set some command //win 10 pc name or win xp pc name in run(win key+r) and voila the pc's were connected and then with your help we are able to share the printer with some link mentioned in the thread.

He must have set IPv4 address from LAN adapter properties. You can do that.

Have a look at this - How to Assign a Static IP Address in Windows 7, 8, 10, XP, or Vist

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
He must have set IPv4 address from LAN adapter properties. You can do that.

Have a look at this - How to Assign a Static IP Address in Windows 7, 8, 10, XP, or Vist

Thanks dear. An ip of 192.168.1.3 has been assigned to the pc with xp. 192.168.1.1 is I think by default the ip of the Win 10 pc. Now how to connect both pc's? What's the command to connect them both via run, which starts with //?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Are you sure 192.168.1.1 is not the IP of router ? Usually, local IPs would start from 192.168.x.y (where y >1, that's not a rule though).

After //, you just have to enter the IP address directly as in //192.168.1.3 .

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Are you sure 192.168.1.1 is not the IP of router ? Usually, local IPs would start from 192.168.x.y (where y >1, that's not a rule though).

After //, you just have to enter the IP address directly as in //192.168.1.3 .

Yes 192.168.1.1 belongs to the router. Sorry for the wrong info. No ip was assigned to the system with 10. Why doesn't 10 need any ip assigning and is it mandatory for xp to be assigned an ip?

So, after configuring all that you have mentioned and after entering //192.168.1.3 from the system with 10, are we all set?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Yes 192.168.1.1 belongs to the router. Sorry for the wrong info. No ip was assigned to the system with 10. Why doesn't 10 need any ip assigning and is it mandatory for xp to be assigned an ip?

So, after configuring all that you have mentioned and after entering //192.168.1.3 from the system with 10, are we all set?

Who said that win 10 doesn't needn an IP assigning ? Every system needs to be assigned a unique IP.

And no after configuring that you're not set in the way you wanted. Because it does enable file sharing too.

I just answered questions from whatever you said about what you saw your tech guy working on your computer.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Who said that win 10 doesn't needn an IP assigning ? Every system needs to be assigned a unique IP.

And no after configuring that you're not set in the way you wanted. Because it does enable file sharing too.

I just answered questions from whatever you said about what you saw your tech guy working on your computer.

Dear Brother I was not able to find any ip assigned to the old system with 10, check this-

*oi66.tinypic.com/jv3w8x.jpg

In the evening since no settings or anything needs to be changed in xp should I assign 192.168.1.2 ip to the new system with 10?

Yes after configuring, it will enable file sharing too, but I will set only share printer in 10, so that should solve the purpose.

And thank you for being so kind and patient in answering my queries.

Last edited:
Top Bottom