Need help with Win 10

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

My cousin got a new Win 10 laptop yesterday. We need your help with few issues-

1. We have two old pc's at home, one is running Win XP SP2 and the other one is running Win 7 Ultimate. The first one is connected to the internet via lan cable and the other one via wifi. Is it possible to connect all three computers or at least two of them via wi-fi(since we use the same ISP's internet at home and the ip will be the same) using networking or some software so that we can copy/transfer data among them?

2. From where to download the installer file of Windows 10 Home Single Language? We have got the key using ProduKey, need the setup for the emergencies. If there's any torrent which is not modded or something, then great.

3. The laptop has one drive named as recovery. How exactly does thing work? The shopkeeper told us to make recovery discs. Let's say we make those discs, then how to recover data using them?

4. We cannot install Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE) in Win 10 instead it comes preinstalled with Windows Defender. Two issues with this software, first it does not autoscan any usb plugged into the laptop, be it a pen drive or an external hdd. MSE had an option for auto scanning USB's. Second issue is that let's say there's any file, say some .exe file when we right click on the file there's no option to scan it with Windows Defender. MSE and every anti virus has atleast this option. Is there any setting to enable these functions?

The photo viewer in Win 10 sucks. It could be a personal choice but 7 looked better. I can't say anything performance wise.

Thanks

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
. We have two old pc's at home, one is running Win XP SP2 and the other one is running Win 7 Ultimate. The first one is connected to the internet via lan cable and the other one via wifi. Is it possible to connect all three computers or at least two of them via wi-fi(since we use the same ISP's internet at home and the ip will be the same) using networking or some software so that we can copy/transfer data among them?

You can use all of them with WiFi. That's the sole purpose of WiFi.

You can copy the data using traditional method with the help of a large size pen drive or an external HDD. Alternatively, you can use LAN cable. The latter will be faster.

2. From where to download the installer file of Windows 10 Home Single Language? We have got the key using ProduKey, need the setup for the emergencies. If there's any torrent which is not modded or something, then great.

Windows 10 ISO

3. The laptop has one drive named as recovery. How exactly does thing work? The shopkeeper told us to make recovery discs. Let's say we make those discs, then how to recover data using them?

Most of laptops have built in recovery especially those which come with pre-loaded OSs. Usually there's a shortcut key assigned during boot process to boot into recovery. Alternatively, those back discs can be used. And these are not meant for data recovery, rather restoring laptop to factory state.

4. We cannot install Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE) in Win 10 instead it comes preinstalled with Windows Defender. Two issues with this software, first it does not autoscan any usb plugged into the laptop, be it a pen drive or an external hdd. MSE had an option for auto scanning USB's. Second issue is that let's say there's any file, say some .exe file when we right click on the file there's no option to scan it with Windows Defender. MSE and every anti virus has atleast this option. Is there any setting to enable these functions?

Disable it and use a good AV like Kaspersky or ESET.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Thanks for replying dear.

You can use all of them with WiFi. That's the sole purpose of WiFi.

You can copy the data using traditional method with the help of a large size pen drive or an external HDD. Alternatively, you can use LAN cable. The latter will be faster.

Like I wrote dear that one pc with Win XP SP2 connects via lan so it will not be possible to connect via wifi. Say one pc is on lan and others are on wifi using the same isp with the same ip then can't we connect them together?

Windows 10 ISO

I tried this link but it seems that the laptop is auto updating something in the background, probably Windows updates and HP's bloatware so the download speed is very very less. Is there any clean torrent for the same, so that we can pause/resume due to slow speeds?

Most of laptops have built in recovery especially those which come with pre-loaded OSs. Usually there's a shortcut key assigned during boot process to boot into recovery. Alternatively, those back discs can be used. And these are not meant for data recovery, rather restoring laptop to factory state.

First how to find that shortcut key? And how to restore the laptop to factory state, say after making those discs?

Disable it and use a good AV like Kaspersky or ESET.

Brother MSE is the best, moreover it is free. So, we are used to it. Leaving the pc with Windows XP SP2 we are using MSE everywhere. Can't we change the settings in WD so that it autoscans an USB inserted in the laptop and that we can scan any file by right clicking on it, just like MSE does? If these options are not available then WD is junk and MSE should be released for Windows 10.?

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Like I wrote dear that one pc with Win XP SP2 connects via lan so it will not be possible to connect via wifi. Say one pc is on lan and others are on wifi using the same isp with the same ip then can't we connect them together?

Why do you believe that you can't connect them together ? There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to connect them together.

I tried this link but it seems that the laptop is auto updating something in the background, probably Windows updates and HP's bloatware so the download speed is very very less. Is there any clean torrent for the same, so that we can pause/resume due to slow speeds?
*kat.cr/microsoft-windows-10-home-and-pro-x64-cleaniso-glodls-t11028252.html

First how to find that shortcut key? And how to restore the laptop to factory state, say after making those discs?

Refer to your laptop's manual or Google is your friend.

I already said about recovering from discs. You "boot" from them to initiate the recovery.

Brother MSE is the best, moreover it is free. So, we are used to it. Leaving the pc with Windows XP SP2 we are using MSE everywhere. Can't we change the settings in WD so that it autoscans an USB inserted in the laptop and that we can scan any file by right clicking on it, just like MSE does? If these options are not available then WD is junk and MSE should be released for Windows 10.?

I stand on what I said earlier.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=86068]dashing.sujay[/MENTION]

Not able to quote you. It is saying lengthen message to atleast 5 characters. Anyways-

Why do you believe that you can't connect them together ? There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to connect them together.

Could you please guide me on steps as in how to do that? The shopkeeper said few wires need to be installed and it will cost like 1500-2000rs.

*kat.cr/microsoft-windows-10-home-and-pro-x64-cleaniso-glodls-t11028252.html

Thanks.

Refer to your laptop's manual or Google is your friend.

I already said about recovering from discs. You "boot" from them to initiate the recovery.

I will google regarding the recovery button. Let's say we have made those 6 recovery discs and we boot from them to initiate recovery, then what's the difference between recovery and fresh install with the OS's cd as both will

restore the laptop to factory state in a way? And say if we use them, then will it wipe out any data from drives other than C?

I stand on what I said earlier.

So, MSE and WD aren't any good?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Not able to quote you. It is saying lengthen message to atleast 5 characters. Anyways-

That's because you are typing your replies within the quote. A reply always counts character which is outside of quote, not inside.

Could you please guide me on steps as in how to do that? The shopkeeper said few wires need to be installed and it will cost like 1500-2000rs.

A simple LAN cross over cable and configure your LAN accordingly. It won't cost that much as you have to connect only one device. You only need to pay for the wire.

I will google regarding the recovery button. Let's say we have made those 6 recovery discs and we boot from them to initiate recovery, then what's the difference between recovery and fresh install with the OS's cd as both will

restore the laptop to factory state in a way? And say if we use them, then will it wipe out any data from drives other than C?

A fresh install means clean OS with no drivers. A factory restore means OEM provided OS along with all the drivers and supplied programs, pre-installed.

Yes, data will be wiped. You can either choose only system drive to restore or complete disk.

So, MSE and WD aren't any good?

Yes.

*www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/avc_sum_201512_en.pdf

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Thanks Brother. Kindly clear last few doubts-

That's because you are typing your replies within the quote. A reply always counts character which is outside of quote, not inside.

Got that Sir.

A simple LAN cross over cable and configure your LAN accordingly. It won't cost that much as you have to connect only one device. You only need to pay for the wire.

Na, in my city the engineer's charges are more than the wire or anything else. They charge like 500-1000 bucks if you ask them to visit your place. Could you please guide how to connect wirelessly, as in networking with wi-fi, Windows Xp with Windows 10. This is really important because the system with 10 will be on the ground floor with access to a printer and we need to take print outs from Xp which is on the first floor, so instead of taking the printer up and down everytime, we need this thing to be sorted out.
P.S. the documents typed in XP will be in Hindi font, mostly typed in Quark Express or Pagemaker's old versions. These will not work in 10 I think. What we are looking for is 10 connected to Xp so print commands given from Xp goes right to the printer.

A fresh install means clean OS with no drivers. A factory restore means OEM provided OS along with all the drivers and supplied programs, pre-installed.

Yes, data will be wiped. You can either choose only system drive to restore or complete disk.

Thanks, will be making those discs asap.

Yes.

*www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/avc_sum_201512_en.pdf

Time to buy KAV I guess.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Na, in my city the engineer's charges are more than the wire or anything else. They charge like 500-1000 bucks if you ask them to visit your place. Could you please guide how to connect wirelessly, as in networking with wi-fi, Windows Xp with Windows 10. This is really important because the system with 10 will be on the ground floor with access to a printer and we need to take print outs from Xp which is on the first floor, so instead of taking the printer up and down everytime, we need this thing to be sorted out.
P.S. the documents typed in XP will be in Hindi font, mostly typed in Quark Express or Pagemaker's old versions. These will not work in 10 I think.

You will just need to buy a wireless adapter like this to connect your desktop computer to WiFi.

What we are looking for is 10 connected to Xp so print commands given from Xp goes right to the printer.

No you don't need to inter-connect PCs at all. You just need to install the printer wirelessly. If your printer has wifi, then best otherwise you can still configure your printer to work across the network as it is done in cyber cafes.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
- - - Updated - - -

You will just need to buy a wireless adapter like this to connect your desktop computer to WiFi.

Already ordered a Tenda wireless adapter from Amazon. I hope that it is good.

No you don't need to inter-connect PCs at all. You just need to install the printer wirelessly. If your printer has wifi, then best otherwise you can still configure your printer to work across the network as it is done in cyber cafes.

How to install the printer wirelessly? The printer does not have wi-fi. The model is Canon LBP 2900B.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

No idea about the particular model or brand. Let's see.

How to install the printer wirelessly? The printer does not have wi-fi. The model is Canon LBP 2900B.

Install a printer on a home network - Windows Help

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Dear Brother, do we need to follow these steps from windows xp or from windows 10?

Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

Click Add a printer.

In the Add Printer wizard, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.

In the list of available printers, select the one you want to use, and then click Next.

If prompted, install the printer driver on your computer by clicking Install driver. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click Finish.

Not able to find this option in win 10-
In the Add Printer wizard, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.

We called a local vendor regarding this. He said home visiting charges Rs. 500/- and the installation etc. will cost another 400-500 Rs. I owe you a lot brother.

No idea about the particular model or brand. Let's see.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
[MENTION=154704]billubakra[/MENTION]

You just have to install your printer normally on one machine (here win 10) which is most likely to be powered on most of the time. Then you need to "share" it from there over the network. I'd suggest you to upgrade to win 7 from XP.

So basically, what you have to do here is:

1) Install printer on win 10

2) Share it from there

3) Add the shared printer on XP.

And I owe you nothing bro, everybody is here to seek and get help. :)

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect

The printer is installed on both the machines and prints can be taken by connecting them with the usb cable with the printer. Win 7 cannot be installed in the pc because some hindi fonts & few softwares like Quark Express don't work well in 7 or greater versions.

The drivers of xp and 10 are different in versions. Will this be an issue?
Is this the right option from 10? And do we need to change any settings under additional drivers tab?

*oi64.tinypic.com/2j31j4m.jpg

And man the tenda adapter that we received was broken in transit. Will be ordering the one that you suggested. You sure na that sharing thing will work? As won't be able to return it this time.

[MENTION=154704]billubakra[/MENTION]

You just have to install your printer normally on one machine (here win 10) which is most likely to be powered on most of the time. Then you need to "share" it from there over the network. I'd suggest you to upgrade to win 7 from XP.

So basically, what you have to do here is:

1) Install printer on win 10

2) Share it from there

3) Add the shared printer on XP.

And I owe you nothing bro, everybody is here to seek and get help. :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
The drivers of xp and 10 are different in versions. Will this be an issue?
I'm not sure about that but in the image you shared, it says to install additional drivers. So I guess you should do that.
Is this the right option from 10? And do we need to change any settings under additional drivers tab?
*oi64.tinypic.com/2j31j4m.jpg

Seems to be the right option. Don't use win 10.

And man the tenda adapter that we received was broken in transit. Will be ordering the one that you suggested. You sure na that sharing thing will work? As won't be able to return it this time.

I'm not a pro at networking but it "should" work. Why don't you first try making the printer work with the current wireless setup ?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect

Will install x86 bit drivers under additional drivers tab as XP is 32 bit.

....Why don't you first try making the printer work with the current wireless setup ?.... Now how to do this? The printer works with usb with any machine. Since the pc cannot be connected wirelessly as of now, then how to make the printer work wirelessly in one device only?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Now how to do this? The printer works with usb with any machine. Since the pc cannot be connected wirelessly as of now, then how to make the printer work wirelessly in one device only?

I hope the current setup is like this:

Wired system -> Router <- Wireless system.

Install and connect the printer in wired system, share it from there and then try to access it from wireless system. That considers that your systems are already accessible to each other on WLAN.

btw does your printer have a LAN port ?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect

Yes the setup was indeed like this, Wired system -> Router <- Wireless system

We have got a wireless adapter, now it is Wireless system -> Router <- Wireless system

....Install and connect the printer in wired system, share it from there and then try to access it from wireless system. That considers that your systems are already accessible to each other on WLAN.... The printer is already installed in both the systems. We want to keep it on the ground floor with win 10 and not with the now wireless system xp. We have shared it from 10 installing both x86 and x64 bit drivers in 10 but it is not printing as per the print commands given from xp. What are we doing wrong here?

I don't think Canon LBP 2900 B has a LAN port. We connect it using an usb cable only.

I hope the current setup is like this:

Wired system -> Router <- Wireless system.

Install and connect the printer in wired system, share it from there and then try to access it from wireless system. That considers that your systems are already accessible to each other on WLAN.

btw does your printer have a LAN port ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for win 10 pc,in network & sharing centre confirm network type is work or home & password protected sharing is turned off in advanced sharing settings.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Thanks for replying.
The network type is auto shown as Public in 10. File and Printer sharing is turned on and network discovery is turned off. Also password protected sharing is turned off in win 10. Do we need to change any settings in xp?

for win 10 pc,in network & sharing centre confirm network type is work or home & password protected sharing is turned off in advanced sharing settings.

Top Bottom