Need help with my acer overheating issue

clickclick

Journeyman
Model- Acer Aspire 5738G
Purchase- Feb 2010
Battery replaced- March 2012
Warranty- out of warranty

The laptop overheats and the average CPU temperature is 78 degrees Celsius and average motherboard temperature is 72 degrees celsius, hdd is between 45-55.

Since last week i have been using it without battery and it has got shutdown on its own twice, and when i touched the bottom of the laptop it was extremely hot.

I dont play games, i have none installed. I basically use softwares like photoshop, lightroom or just surf the net and listen to music or watch movies.

What do i do? I am considering buying a cooling pad but the layout of the vents confuses me. Majority of the cooling pads have one fan in the centre. But the issue with my laptop is that it gets heated more on the upper left side at the bottom, where there is a vent on the side which blows out hot air and next to it is the charging point.

Can anyone suggest me a cooling pad or any other way to solve this overheating issue?

*i.imgur.com/e6a6It9.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
temps while browsing are very high, are you sure the fan is working properly inside? and you need to apply thermal paste, if you don't know that, better consult a technician. you will see a noticeable temp. difference.

OP
clickclick

clickclick

Journeyman
now below are the temps with the battery installed and i ve just been browsing, searching for a cooling pad :p the fan works fine, i guess :p no noise or anything,

two different softwares to determine the temps and the difference is exactly of 10 degrees between them

*i.imgur.com/KlEbfMp.jpg

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Do you have any idea about servicing the laptop urself ..
just open the case, take out the fan and clean the innards..
I was having this overheating issue .. my laptop would hard reboot evrry 1 hr because the fan was clogged with dirt..
But after cleaning it, the temperature reduced by a whooping 10-20 C and never overheated

OP
clickclick

clickclick

Journeyman
no i cant service it myself, so before buying a cooling pad should i get it cleaned from inside by a professional service guy?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
yes, get it serviced asap..A cooling pad will not reduce your temperatures by a lot.. in most cases, it probably wont even make a difference..
But cleaning that dirt will, so do it asap
PS: If you have to buy a cooling pad.. id suggest you stay away from Belkin
Even an El cheapo Zebronics one is better than belkins.. The fans are so freaking NOISY..

OP
clickclick

clickclick

Journeyman
^^ thanks for the suggestions mate, i ll get it serviced first, after that even if the need arises then i ll buy a cooling pad, mostly a coolermaster :p

OP
clickclick

clickclick

Journeyman
Yes i have, done all sorts of things to it, disassembled and assembled it too, but too scared to open up the laptop

Then you have the guts!!!. Get your laptop serviced this time, download the video, keep it watching again again and again. Perhaps it will give you the confidence you need. Well it worked for me.

powerstarprince

In the zone
strange... there was one hp laptop that i previously owned dv2, gets unusually hot & fan runs really loud, looks as if it's burning and avg temps do get to around 70 C. It feels unresponsive and slow but never shutdown randomly on itself.

OP
clickclick

clickclick

Journeyman
@shadow

majority all the laptops shutdown if they get overheated while playing heavy games or running heavy applications, i ve been reading about this issue since yesterday

Nerevarine

Incarnate
mine goes to 90-100 degree Celcius.. believe it or not..
then it would automatically hard shutdown and would not turn on for 10-20 mins (until the CPU was cool again )
my bro used to apply ice packs at the bottom O_O

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yes i know, i have already cleaned and serviced it but i was just laughing my a$$ off the stupidity of my bro..
I sold that laptop anyway and bought a PC

Top Bottom