Need help with a 2 Tn AC(Window or Split??),About 45K Budget

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
so i had gone to do some market research on inverter AC's and wow..its hard to find 2 ton Inverter Ac's...Even stores like Croma only keep a max of 1.5Ton inverter(The sharp model which was reviewed here)...they were not too keen on selling it either..they were pushing normal split units saying inverter Ac's are not useful for Mumbai...:shock:

Its really hard to find 2 ton Inverter AC's here...sigh..will keep looking tom too...

Yes, they have a way of saying stuff like that whenever they do not have something in stock! Ignore.
Instead of personally visiting, why don't you look up the dealers contacts online and call them for quotes and availability? I know some dealers have a habit of saying, "phone pe quote nahi de sakte, aap showroom me aaiye" - just tell them, you are looking to buy 2 (or even 3) units and don't have time to visit all dealers and see how their tunes change - of course, once you have the quote, no one can force you to buy 2 or 3 ;)

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Yes, they have a way of saying stuff like that whenever they do not have something in stock! Ignore.
Instead of personally visiting, why don't you look up the dealers contacts online and call them for quotes and availability? I know some dealers have a habit of saying, "phone pe quote nahi de sakte, aap showroom me aaiye" - just tell them, you are looking to buy 2 (or even 3) units and don't have time to visit all dealers and see how their tunes change - of course, once you have the quote, no one can force you to buy 2 or 3 ;)

LMAO..not bad...

Ok so a friend of mine is ready to help me with panasonic inverter Ac...are they any good??Do not know much about them...he could try with mitsubishi too but says its too expensive

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
LMAO..not bad...

Ok so a friend of mine is ready to help me with panasonic inverter Ac...are they any good??Do not know much about them...he could try with mitsubishi too but says its too expensive

Mitsub what? Mitsub Electric or Mitsub Heavy Ind? [You want to go for the latter] Yes, they are costly; They are also the compressor OEM for a lot of AC vendors - gives you an idea of their quality.

About Pana, frankly, I do not have a lot of personal experience with them but have heard good things about Pana invs. But this is my opinion only, so add generous doses of salt!! :)

How about Trane? Have you checked them out yet?

@Inci, how about Pana? Got any suggestions?

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Mitsub what? Mitsub Electric or Mitsub Heavy Ind? [You want to go for the latter] Yes, they are costly; They are also the compressor OEM for a lot of AC vendors - gives you an idea of their quality.

About Pana, frankly, I do not have a lot of personal experience with them but have heard good things about Pana invs. But this is my opinion only, so add generous doses of salt!! :)

How about Trane? Have you checked them out yet?

@Inci, how about Pana? Got any suggestions?

got to ask about the mitsub one..didn't know there were two varieties...What is Trane??

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
got to ask about the mitsub one..didn't know there were two varieties...What is Trane??

One of the top AC manufacturers in the west! Its available in Mumbai - would probably be on the higher side cost-wise, also check service quality before buying!

BTW, not getting any quotes for Sharps or what?

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
One of the top AC manufacturers in the west! Its available in Mumbai - would probably be on the higher side cost-wise, also check service quality before buying!

BTW, not getting any quotes for Sharps or what?

oh i see..thaank you..will check it out..but will it come under the 60K bracket...No not getting quotes for sharp at all..some of the stores told me to come after 10th or 12th and then they could tell me the price...

so finally some breakthrough...i found couple of stores who have some of the inverter models..also went to a diakin dealer who happens to have all other types of inverter AC's...Sharp 2ton AH-XP24MV model was quoted for 57K..Daikin 2 ton for 50K, Panasonic 2 ton for 47K, o general was close to 60K...But here is the thing, two of the dealers said do not go for sharp as sharp has poor after sales service and quality..One of the dealers also said Hitachi doesn't make inverter AC's...is this true??:shock:

so what should i do here??Help pls...

also whats with the attitude of daikin dealers seriously...they act as if they are selling you some precious item which you cannot afford..hopelessly crap attitude...

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Ye Hitachi dosnt sell Inverters at the moment in India.
Sharps After Sales is very good atleast in Kolkata,so who ever is telling that is rubbish,utter rubbish.
I was also getting a Mitsubishi ,but Heavy has bad bad after sales if something happens and Electric has good service over heavy but I was skeptical and liked the Sharp over them anyday. Im using the 18MV for a 266 sqft room with roof on top and it does chill man.
Trane is great but not available in Kolkata.
Avoid Toshiba neither here nor there kinda AC.
Daikin is good and so is Fijitsu General.
Panasonic is great too.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
oh i see..thaank you..will check it out..but will it come under the 60K bracket...No not getting quotes for sharp at all..some of the stores told me to come after 10th or 12th and then they could tell me the price...

so finally some breakthrough...i found couple of stores who have some of the inverter models..also went to a diakin dealer who happens to have all other types of inverter AC's...Sharp 2ton AH-XP24MV model was quoted for 57K..Daikin 2 ton for 50K, Panasonic 2 ton for 47K, o general was close to 60K...But here is the thing, two of the dealers said do not go for sharp as sharp has poor after sales service and quality..One of the dealers also said Hitachi doesn't make inverter AC's...is this true??:shock:

so what should i do here??Help pls...

also whats with the attitude of daikin dealers seriously...they act as if they are selling you some precious item which you cannot afford..hopelessly crap attitude...

Hitachi used to sell the i-Tec model till last year, which if I remember correctly was their end-consumer inverter ac offering. It has been, as of now, temporarily discontinued. I hear that the iClean "inverter" series AC might release soon - am skeptical about it, check with local dealers for this.
By the way, beware of the fact that some dealers are selling iCleans from last year (2012 model) with 2013 stickers - these do NOT use R410A but use R22 ! So, ensure you get what you wanted and not what the dealer stuck you with!

About Sharp A.S.S., well, in my experience, most leading AC vendors provide good service in the metros and crap service in the slightly non-urban/remote areas. But there are always pockets where the opposite might be true. Best would be to ask other Mumbai users - either on forums or you know, office, neighbors etc.

About Daikin dealers, well, some dealers (and not only for Daikin, goes for almost all brands) assume all end-consumers are n00bs and at their mercy! Ignore them, they are the ones losing out on your business!.

If you are getting quotes which are mostly northwards, it would make sense to go for Tranes/Mitsub Heavy rather than Sharps/Hitachis/Panas etc. Get the latter only if you get "reasonable" quotes.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Ye Hitachi dosnt sell Inverters at the moment in India.
Sharps After Sales is very good atleast in Kolkata,so who ever is telling that is rubbish,utter rubbish.
I was also getting a Mitsubishi ,but Heavy has bad bad after sales if something happens and Electric has good service over heavy but I was skeptical and liked the Sharp over them anyday. Im using the 18MV for a 266 sqft room with roof on top and it does chill man.
Trane is great but not available in Kolkata.
Avoid Toshiba neither here nor there kinda AC.
Daikin is good and so is Fijitsu General.
Panasonic is great too.

thanks man for the info...unfortunately none of my friends use sharp AC..one of them uses Hitachi split and till now he has had no complains...Considering mitsubishi electric..lets see...hoping sharp have good cover in Mumbai...
This particular room is above 350 Sq Ft with roof directly on top..and hence my 2 ton requirement...
Looked for tranes..most dont keep it..though few will take orders but will deliver after a week..no word on price...
Many stores are pushing panasonic...i have absolutely zero knowledge about their AC's...anyone here in the forum using?

Hitachi used to sell the i-Tec model till last year, which if I remember correctly was their end-consumer inverter ac offering. It has been, as of now, temporarily discontinued. I hear that the iClean "inverter" series AC might release soon - am skeptical about it, check with local dealers for this.
By the way, beware of the fact that some dealers are selling iCleans from last year (2012 model) with 2013 stickers - these do NOT use R410A but use R22 ! So, ensure you get what you wanted and not what the dealer stuck you with!

About Sharp A.S.S., well, in my experience, most leading AC vendors provide good service in the metros and crap service in the slightly non-urban/remote areas. But there are always pockets where the opposite might be true. Best would be to ask other Mumbai users - either on forums or you know, office, neighbors etc.

About Daikin dealers, well, some dealers (and not only for Daikin, goes for almost all brands) assume all end-consumers are n00bs and at their mercy! Ignore them, they are the ones losing out on your business!.

If you are getting quotes which are mostly northwards, it would make sense to go for Tranes/Mitsub Heavy rather than Sharps/Hitachis/Panas etc. Get the latter only if you get "reasonable" quotes.

Cross checked on hitachi and yeah you are right..Thanks..One of the store has the i clean hitachi inverter but how do i know if its 2013 model...this one did use R410A refrigerant...
none of my friends use sharp unfortunately..so not getting a good picture of sharp's ASS...
I swear i was annoyed with the daikin guy but he also sells other brands which few others stock...his attitude was terrible...
Tranes is really hard to find...one had it but will take a week to place order plus not sure of price..

Last edited:

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Cross checked on hitachi and yeah you are right..Thanks..One of the store has the i clean hitachi inverter but how do i know if its 2013 model...this one did use R410A refrigerant...
none of my friends use sharp unfortunately..so not getting a good picture of sharp's ASS...
I swear i was annoyed with the daikin guy but he also sells other brands which few others stock...his attitude was terrible...
Tranes is really hard to find...one had it but will take a week to place order plus not sure of price..

iClean Inverter?? Are you sure its inverter? If it is, it probably is 2013 model. If it uses R410A, irrespective of inverter or not, it definitely is this year's stock.

By the way, how do you know it uses R410A - Check the sticker on the body of the IDU unit on display in the store. (although I agree, a dishonest dealer might swap that out as well)

Anyway, when you buy, from whatever store and whatever model, insist that you will mark down the serial no. of the IDU and the ODU unit (this is written on the cardboard cover box itself) so that you can cross-verify that the same set is getting delivered to you. Never take delivery of unsealed pack.

Some unscrupulous stores/Dealers in Kol have swapped out genuine parts with refurbished ones on brand new ACs. :x

Regarding the Tranes, what do you mean, "not sure of price"? Is the dealer who is ready to order it for you, not telling you the price? See if he can call up the distributor and get you a quote. He should be - if not, probably daal me kuch kaala hai! Ignore and move on in that case!

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
iClean Inverter?? Are you sure its inverter? If it is, it probably is 2013 model. If it uses R410A, irrespective of inverter or not, it definitely is this year's stock.

By the way, how do you know it uses R410A - Check the sticker on the body of the IDU unit on display in the store. (although I agree, a dishonest dealer might swap that out as well)

Anyway, when you buy, from whatever store and whatever model, insist that you will mark down the serial no. of the IDU and the ODU unit (this is written on the cardboard cover box itself) so that you can cross-verify that the same set is getting delivered to you. Never take delivery of unsealed pack.

Some unscrupulous stores/Dealers in Kol have swapped out genuine parts with refurbished ones on brand new ACs. :x

Regarding the Tranes, what do you mean, "not sure of price"? Is the dealer who is ready to order it for you, not telling you the price? See if he can call up the distributor and get you a quote. He should be - if not, probably daal me kuch kaala hai! Ignore and move on in that case!

Most of the stores did not have the stock but said it could be arranged in few days...He showed the model on brochure which can be procured and it showed R410A refrigerant..Haven't checked out the model yet but will verify again...Having problems now because of a strike in mumbai regarding the local body tax..so stores closed..damn i need to buy it this week...Thanks for the top regarding the serial number..will take a note of it..
The guy who apparently deals with tranes said he doesn't know the price..not sure what it is..he said only after the order can he confirm the price..even i did not understand what he meant...tried asking for an estimate...he said to give him few days...

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Give the Trane guy a few days if you can. For the Hitachi's (or for that matter, any brand), forget brochure, see actual units.
I know the heat is on, but don't hurry - 50K is a lot of green.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Stay away from that Hitachi Inverter ,very problematic,break downs are common with that Inverter,that is the reason Hitachi stopped selling Inverters. They might get a better model soon.

Sharp has launched a new model AU-X3M24LV even more efficient than the old one..

Trane 2 ton Inverter will set you back by Rs 60K atleast. They have a remote to die for!!

Last edited:

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Stay away from that Hitachi Inverter ,very problematic,break downs are common with that Inverter,that is the reason Hitachi stopped selling Inverters. They might get a better model soon.

Sharp has launched a new model AU-X3M24LV even more efficient than the old one..

Trane 2 ton Inverter will set you back by Rs 60K atleast. They have a remote to die for!!

Dude, I think the one he's referring to, released this year (iClean Inverter). You are probably referring to the i-Tec 2011-12s.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!

as Mario stated..was talking about the current models..but didn't know about their problematic history..so thanks for the heads up..
The x3m24lv is a multi split unit...didn't quite understand what this is...the pic shows 3 splits connected to 1???:shock: I dont need 3 units anyway..so don't see how this is practical for me...

Am willing to go till 60K but the after sales etc should be good too besides the unit..most of the stores were just scratching their heads after hearing this brand..don't know what level of support this company has in India...

Its a really big investment i am making and i am hoping i get this right..do not want to have the same level of problems my old LG window unit gave me..was a real pain...

Not able to buy now because of the damn Mumbai Tax strike...all the stores are closed here..sigh...

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Extreme layman terms - Multi splits have multiple IDUs connected to one ODU (or a skewed ratio in favor of the IDU like 5 IDUs-2ODUs). There are several complexities associated with these like run-all-the-same-time/different tonnages/space requirements bla bla bla (of course, this is just basic generalization for multi-splits, does not go for ALL models).
IMHO, for your requirement, discrete units are the way to go.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Extreme layman terms - Multi splits have multiple IDUs connected to one ODU (or a skewed ratio in favor of the IDU like 5 IDUs-2ODUs). There are several complexities associated with these like run-all-the-same-time/different tonnages/space requirements bla bla bla (of course, this is just basic generalization for multi-splits, does not go for ALL models).
IMHO, for your requirement, discrete units are the way to go.

Thanks...yeah was thinking the same thing...so trane put up a big ad today in mumbai newspaper..called up at the dealers close by..one of them said, 2 is good for commercial spaces and not residential(went back to lobbying for panasonic Ac's :-x)and there will be no difference...the other guy said Trane doesn't manufacture 2 ton inverters..or he doesn't have any..infact asked more of these and they gave the same response...No trane inverter 2 ton ac(max being 1.5) but there are 2 ton conventional split unit...

How is trane as a brand really?Where is it from??My parents have been asking the same question..hence i asked...

so what do i do now?? :(

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Trane is from USA. They are the big daddy of AC. I used one when living abroad and its awesome. They do huge projects and most of the malls in Middle East has Trane ACs. They do huge projects and have invented a lot of stuff.
Check here - *www.traneindia.com/

Dude, I think the one he's referring to, released this year (iClean Inverter). You are probably referring to the i-Tec 2011-12s.

And i-Clean is not a Inverter AC from Hitachi its a conventional AC with a 5/2 star rating!Hitachi dosnt sell Inverter ACs any more ,check the link.

*www.hitachi-hli.com/productdetail/iClean/

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Trane India -->

*www.traneindia.com/docs/Trane Interactive ACs and Locks Catalogue.pdf
Trane India - introducing interactive ACs & Locks

Big Daddy --> Home Heating | Residential Heating and Air Conditioning | Trane

Try this --> Trane India - introducing interactive ACs & Locks [I tried with a sample 18*20*10 ft and yes the inverter was not suggested]

It is said that tonnage-wise, a lesser-tonnage inverter AC can technically be the equivalent of a higher tonnage non-inverter. However, "playing very safe"-wise, best to get the full tonnage as per your room size. No point in needlessly stressing a component when you might not as well.
I understand this doubt(/"little shreds of what-ifs") on the brand that your parents or you might have - Trust me, I have similar parents at home. ;) And it is completely justified.
Also, Trane does not have 2T inverters, although the 1.5T might do the job, but it will be 60~65K I think.
The conventional 2T split is there from Trane which is near about 40~44K I think, but please do confirm with your dealer what refrigerant the model is using, should you decide to go for it.
Also, I am not sure about A.S.S. And then again, there is the niggling question of "peace of mind" which you/parents won't get unless you manage to "trust" a brand!

I will be frank - I am starting to think Trane is NOT a value-proposition for you, especially if you are inclined towards inverters only.

On the other hand, I am right now posting from a room in Mumbai running a Inverter Chrome Econavi, ya, a Pana :). It is very silent, the room is chilly, I am impressed. I don't know what to make of this, not being aware whether to club Pana in the crap-LG/Samsung club or otherwise.
Its bought only recently though, so, no leads on A.S.S. or long-term durability.

Trane is from USA. They are the big daddy of AC. I used one when living abroad and its awesome. They do huge projects and most of the malls in Middle East has Trane ACs. They do huge projects and have invented a lot of stuff.
Check here - *www.traneindia.com/

And i-Clean is not a Inverter AC from Hitachi its a conventional AC with a 5/2 star rating!Hitachi dosnt sell Inverter ACs any more ,check the link.

*www.hitachi-hli.com/productdetail/iClean/

Dude, I did not see your post while I was posting so it is really amusing how we both used the term "Big Daddy" while referring to Trane!! :D :D

I know about the link, that's why few posts back I asked him if he's sure its iClean inverter. There is talk from the distributor I know, that such a model might be in existence! [Update: supposed to carry an LCD readout as opposed to the current iCleans that don't have this] I am still skeptical though (looks like you are too :) ) [Update: Just saw this advert on TV - looks like my distri is right - there is a iClean inverter AC, well at least Hitachi calls it so :p ]

See this from the same site --

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/consumer-electronics-everything-else/10424d1368187108-need-help-2-tn-ac-window-split-about-45k-budget-inv.jpg

Inv.jpg

The hyperlink on that image, however, goes to the same page you linked to.

Last edited:
OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Thank you guys seriously...realised now what trane is...so this confirms what the dealer says that they do not have 2 ton inverter models...i am well aware that some inverters with lower tonnage may give better cooling than higher ones..tbf..i was looking at 2.5 before and then settling for 2 ton...this rooms is 350+ square ft and it would be a real stretch for any 1.5 ton to cool it...
The conventional models do use R22,confirmed it..meanwhile one of the models a distributor informed me about the daikin inverter, well it turns out it uses R22..what the hell..daikin still selling R22 based inverter ac's..damn i have never been so badly confused in my life..not even for my pc...lol...and to add up we have an LBT tax strike in mumbai, so none of the stores are open for me to have a look and buy..:-x

so we are back to the older ones... Sharp/Daikin/Hitachi/O general/Carrier and panasonic now??!!!

Top Bottom