Need Help Urgent

jetboy

Journeyman
Hello Dear Friends,

I am in a very dire situation, in which I am not able to make up my mind whether to go for Xperia x10 mini or samsung galaxy I5700.

I want to basically own a phone which will go with me for around 3-4 years atleast.

My mind says go for samsung as it has andriod v2.1 + big screen + better display than mini.

I want to go for a mobile <14K

Please Help !!!! :(

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
I've been trying out an Xperia X10 mini which my friend bought last month. To put my review short, its a very good phone. The timescape ui is awesome and the capacitive touch screen makes it really crisp to use. Its using Android 1.6, and I heard from him that Sony will be providing an upgrade soon.

Comparing with the Samsung, I guess, the Galaxy would be using the touchwiz UI on top of Android. But looking at the specs, these are my thoughts.

The Samsung as usual has got a 3.2 inch screen while sony is little off with a smaller 2.55 one. But the resolution is same, which means images in the Sony will be much sharper. Unless you are a regular movie viewer in mobile, this isn't going to make much of a difference.

Coming to the processor, samsung has a 800 MHz one while sony is little low with 600 Mhz.

The Xperia has got a 5 MP camera and 30 fps VGA video recording while the samsung is lagging way behind with 3.15 MP and 15 fps cif. Who needs that when the era of HD video recording and playback is becoming the new trend.

I have had really bad experiences with Samsung mobile cameras. Although with autofocus, some clarity is achieved, but the images are so dark and washed out as if taken from a VGA camera.

In the battery segment, the Xperia has a concealed battery. You can't take it out just by opening the back cover. I couldn't find its specs anywhere, until recently GSMArena recently reported it as 950 mAH compared to the huge 1500 mAH of the samsung. But for a smaller screen and a tiny phone, its Ok. In the X10, the battery lasts max a day and half on full charge. It may be a problem to you if you are looking for longer battery life. But the galaxy with its huge battery still won't last any longer as its screen is bigger and Samsung touchscreen fones are seen to have very low battery backup. The X10 mini has got USB+Normal charging through the same cable, as seen in apple products.

The sound quality is same as was in older SE models.
There is no equalizer in the media player provided with it, unless you install some other media apps. Bluetooth doesn't have OBEX support(as far as I found out), meaning you can't use your pc to browse the contents of the phone through bluetooth.

Although, not being a fan of SE phones, my recommendation still would be to go with the X10 which is rich with features, the main being 5MP cam with VGA recording, and the sleek new looks. Its a really cute phone staying right inside your palm.
It has got interchangeable back covers too.

Last edited:
amazing @Lucky_star

go for Xperia x10 mini if you're looking for quality and stylish that lasts 3-4 years. If you have a hunger for andriod 2.1...2.2..and 3.0 in pipeline (for 1ghz phones), bigger screen more customizations etc etc..go for samsung. I personally don't count samsung in quality and stylish phones !!

There might be other options coming down this post...be patient coz you are looking for a phone for 3-4 years..check out each and every members advice first !!

sujoyp

Grand Master
My vote goes to Samsung Wave...Today saw its review on youtube...Its awesome..

Some would say that Bada is an immature OS but Samsung have given maximum utilities inbuilt...Just Loved it:))

Samsung S8500 Wave - Full phone specifications

bit above ur budget but look at the specs u will get...mindblowing

If u r thinking of X10 mini better get the X10mini Pro@16k coz u get hardware qwerty keyboard

Last edited:
OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@lucky star: thanks a lot for the review.

Camera is not a problem for me :). I have a digital camera. The only thing mattered for me was big screen and gud images, which I seem Samsung I5700 has better than x10 mini. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also the samsung has a fast processor. Even in techtree they have mentioned a no for the HTC tattoo and go for samsung I5700.

I will still wait for other people to respond and let me know there views.

I would actually like to hear if anyone has samsung I5700 and can share his experience ?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

@sujoyp : thanks for the info, but I need a phone less that 14K..its too costy for 18K :(

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Go for the Galaxy if you really like it. :) But, I'm bit skeptical about the battery life. An AMOLED display would have saved it, but then the price would go up. I have used a Samsung star and the battery life in it was pathetic even with a 1000 mAH piece. Remember, the X10 doesn't have a good battery life either. With wifi, GPS and Data transfer on, I could see the battery dipping down very fast. Adding to the previous review, the wifi in the X10 doesn't seem to work well, losing signal if I go beyond some 5-6 metres from the hotspot.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
^^ @jetboy
just headover to the Spica discussion thread to know more about Spica. You'll get first hand user experiences over there, unlike speculations here :)

I do like X10 mini, but it way too tiny for my usage, others may like it compactness. So its a personal choice, I would skip it.

My obvious choice would be i5700, you get a better screen, better battery life, better processor, better custom rom support and the good news is that Spica is going to get Froyo in Q4. On top of that just a few minor updates in the JIT compiler has significantly improved speed of spica and with Froyo being 450% faster than Eclair. With 800MHz proccy, its a no brainer :))

X10 mini on the other hand still uses the older 1.6 donut and looks like when everyone is gonna get Froyo, X10 mini might get 2.1 with updated mediascape and SE might say it has got features of both 2.1 & 2.2 so its better :p ( just my speculation for fun, no offense for SE users ;) )

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Just avoid X10 Mini (too tiny, no qwertykeypad, not suitable for browsing. it's a ladies phone), Tattoo (nothing's good in this phone), smart (shitty phone). And avoid i7500 too (old h/w and old version of android).

i5700 is nowhere to be found. Samsung has stopped the production for this phone.

Like red dragon said, see if you can increase your budget and get Samsung Wave. Though it is not running Android, it is a capble phone.

other options include:

Nokia X6 16Gb (15k - 15.5k)
SE Hazel (if not a touch screen phone)

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Yeah availability of i5700 is turning out to be a mystery, first they held the stock to upgrade to 2.1 and they were readily available during April-May with 2.1 and now suddenly vanished from the market.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Thanks a lot for your suggestion sriharsha_madineni , desiibond , Lucky_star and red dragon.

Sorry it will be difficult for me to increase my budget :(. Very upset to hear Samsung has stopped the production :(:(.

Is it true that its stopped only for the andriod upgrade reason or will they be stopping it permanently? and anyone has any idea as to when they might start again?

I also had a eye on I5800 and thought it to be in the same range of I5700, but it seems to be very costly

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Also Just to add I am looking for an Andriod based phone only. Dont want to go for any other phones

sujoyp

Grand Master
y do u think i5800 would be costly....it have no new features then i5700 other then multitouch...I think its there to replace i5700 spica

Samsung I5800 Galaxy 3 vs. Samsung I5700 Galaxy Spica - GSMArena.com

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@sujoyp: hmm that seems fine. I dont remember fine, but I thought I ready somewhere it was 20K+ , not sure. Do you think it will be a gud buy? When will it launch?

On a special note I would like to add, I had mailed samsung support to know if they have I5700 selling it.They said they are selling it and also gave me some dealers location who sell them in Nashik.

Check this

Dear Jeetesh

Welcome to Samsung India Electronics Pvt. Ltd. We thank you for your
interest/valuable_feedback. Please find hereafter, our response. Your
Transaction no. is 2004616841. Please quote this reference in all
subsequent communications.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for taking interestin Samsung products and services.

GT-I5700 is a running model. To know about this handset kindly visit the below link:

I5700 - Overview - Samsung Mobile India

Android 2.1 version is available for this handset.

If you want to buy handset then you can visit toany of authorized dealer near by to you, the addresses of authorized dealer?s are as follows:

Eit Mart I
Near Water Tank, Mahatma Nagar
Phone no. 9890048591

Eit Mart II
Vakilwadi, Opp. Hotel Panchratna
Phone no. 9890048591

NPD
1/2, Bohra Sadan, Panchvati Karanja
Phone no.9822108009

EIT Mart-III
Regimental Plaza, Devlali Road, Bytco Point, Nashik Road
Phone no. 9890048591

EIT Mart-IV
Opp. Cinemax, Divya Add Labs, Near Airtel Showroom, Pawan Nagar, Cidco, Nashik
Phone no. 9890048591

For assistance contact Samsung Customer Care.
Thanking you and assuring best services always.

Thank you for patronizing our product.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are receiving this e-mail because you have previously made an
enquiry about Samsung India through our Web-sites.
Please do not reply to this mail as it is an automated email and cannot
be responded to.
If you wish to send feedback or queries to Samsung_Electronics, please
send a new e-mail or contact us at: Samsung India Electronics Pvt. Ltd
Customer Contact Center Call Toll Free : 1800 110011 (FromMTNL/BSNL)
Call Reliance No : 3030 8282 (please prefix std code)
HomePage : SAMSUNG India - Main
Best Regards,

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Any idea if I5800 will be a good performer like I5700 ?

Does anyone thing, it will be worth waiting for I5800 ?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

OR how about SE X8, it doesnt matter if camera is scaled down from x10 mini. But the only think matters in is it going to get a andriod 2.1 upgrade?

Can someone please shed some light on it please?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Compairing X8 and I5800 I give advantage to I5800 (only on paper)

Advantage of I5800 on X8 are-
1. Bluetooth 3
2. Android 2.1
3. Divx support

Advantage of X8 on I5800 are -

1. Better sound quality of SE
2. VGA video recording(640*480)
3. Better screen resolution

But u may have to wait 1 more month for these:grin:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Any idea if I5800 will be a good performer like I5700 ?

Does anyone thing, it will be worth waiting for I5800 ?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

OR how about SE X8, it doesnt matter if camera is scaled down from x10 mini. But the only think matters in is it going to get a andriod 2.1 upgrade?

Can someone please shed some light on it please?

yes. i5800 is definitely a good deal. you can definitely wait for it. among this one and X8, I would pick i5800. The only problem is with the resolution of the display. a 240x400 on a 3.2" is just okay. But if the pixel density is high, it shouldn't matter :)

Top Bottom