Need Help on Dual Booting...XP & Vista !

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudipapd

Broken In
Hey Guys...i need a help.

I've installed XP SP2(D:\) over Vista(C:\) & now my lappy is only booting into XP, whereas Vista in the boot menu stayes hidden. i can recover Vista from the "One Touch Recovery key" or "Recovery CD", but i don't want that 'coz, i think then the XP boot menu will disappear. So my question is that- is there any way to get Vista alongwith XP on the booting menu without affecting the OS-es or re-installing both ?

Plz....reply as soon as possible

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Since you have installed XP over Vista, thats why it has overwritten the Vista boot loader and you are not able to boot into Vista. You can repair Vista using its DVD and it'll re-install the boot loader.

Shantanu has posted a nice tut for it here: :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52686

dsuresh

Broken In
try this :

control panel > system> advanced> select startup and recovery

select : edit>

add this : multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

but which partition do u want recovery : partition(1) OR partition (2)

u can modify the line "microsoft windows xp professional"

prasad_den

Padawan
If you prefer, you can use EasyBCD software to restore the Vista MBR and hence the multiboot option..
First install .net 2.0 in your XP, and then download and install easyBCD ( *neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 )

Then go to the Manage bootloader option, and select reinstall vista bootloader, and then click write MBR..
*neosmart.net/gallery/d/6800-1/Manage+Bootloader.png

Now when you restart, you'll be able to go into vista directly... you won't have XP, but don't panic. Install easyBCD in vista, and then go to add/remove entries, and make an entry for XP.. Save the changes and you are done.. You can also select the default OS and the timeout details from this software.

Easy BCD is a very small software, about 850kb in size..!! :D

OP
S

sudipapd

Broken In
Thank U Guys 4 Ur Replies. I already did what U've asked to do & solve the problem....!

Thanks 2 all of U again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom