Need help on buying HDD..

hari11

Broken In
Im planning to buy 1 or 2Tb hard drive..But confused which manufacturer to choose seagate or WD or Toshiba...

I have few questions to ask..
-Is it safe to buy 2Tb instead of 1tb coz i need to sale my 250gb hdd to get 2tb and If i buy 2Tb what are the chances of drive failure..Can we able to recover data.?
-Can i go for 1tb with my 250gb as backup drive...? (but i really want buy 2Tb fullhd movies and games are of huge sizes these days..)
-What is 500/platter and 1Tb/platter.? Will it help drive safety n performance(heard Toshiba released 2Tb hdd which is 1Tb/platter for 6k)..?
-Lastly,Which drive should i go for?

gameranand

Living to Play
1. Yes its safe to buy a 2TB HDD, I am using two of them. Well HDDs usually last long but if drive crashes then you then there are dire chances that you'll be able to recover the data.
2. Yes you can go with that setup also but you are losing 750 GB so I won't go for that.
3. Actually HDDs are made of platter and it depends on platter size how much data it can store, say a HDD with 4 platters and each platter containing 500GB data makes 2TB HDD.
4. Depends on your budget which you have not stated yet.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
while going for storage devices the trend is that for small amount of increase in cost, one can get a large increase in space. so its highly economical to buy higher volume HDDs/flash drives.

if the HDD fails, its an almost gone case. if its important data that you are storing, then its highly recommened to maintain backup drives or using RAID for mirror storage.

when you post here for buying advice, be sure to post your budget and main criteria.

Naxal

Little Kid
If you are storing own creation or files like Photo / documents / excel or such important data, then better to select backup drives :p to have multiple copies since these can never be reproduced :p

However talking about stuff like Movies, Music and games :p go for single 2TB drive with eye closed :p, even if the drive fails, you can always work hard but will surely be able to gather everything back again :D

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say stay away from Seagate. I have RMA'ed both my Seagate & WD 2TB HDDs. In case of Seagate, they give you a refurbished drive instead of a new one, and in my case, the replacement drive is showing some errors in CDI just after a week. :(

S_V

In the zone
Well stay away from Hitachi HDD's too. I got 5 Broken this year including 2 (2TB's) and especially stay away from Hitachi Touro Mobile Drives. Their Replacement aka Refurbished Drives takes ages to get back to you. ...

Can't say much about Seagate since lots of -Ve Feedback from others and vendors but Personally they are running Rock solid in my Case.

I will Highly Recommend WD Green or Black Devices for HDD choice. Out of my 20 TB storage I am using 14TB WD Green and Black without any issues.. "

On Personal Note.... Make sure you have enough cool air circulating in your Case for Better Reliability. Also Use sofwtare CrystalDiskInfo frequently to check drives. This software helped me a lot by showing Drive status. If it is showing in Yellow Color instead of Blue means that Drive is failing and during yellow status you still have time to recover data. If it is RED status, it is imminent that your Drive will fail or Failed

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
I am running 1x 2TB & a 1x 1TB Seagate without any problem.
If it is mission critical data i would recommend go for a WD Black

Naxal

Little Kid
I will Highly Recommend WD Green or Black Devices for HDD choice. Out of my 20 TB storage I am using 14TB WD Green and Black without any issues.. "

20TB / 14TB storage :shock: :blink: :eeek:

I am struggling with mere 120 GB in my laptop :facepalm:

OP
H

hari11

Broken In
Well I currently have 4.5k.I think i should go for 1Tb and my 250gb as backup drive,coz i really have some important data that needs to be saved...:)
So which 1 should i go then 1Tb WD green or seagate baracuda ?

S_V

In the zone
Go with WD Green....
But seagate comes with 7200 rpm and it's little fast than WD Green.

Top Bottom