Need Help In Upgrading AMD Athlon X2 PC For Gaming

amolwagh

Broken In
I have AMD Athlon X2 7750 Dual Core Processor + Asus M3A Motherboard 500GB HDD and 2 GB RAM.

First of all I need to buy a Graphics Card to play new high end games at decent FPS. I have literally 'No Idea' what graphics should I go for and what is supported by my Motherboard.

Please suggest me something within range of 3000 to 8000.

Also do I need to upgrade my SMPS for using the graphics card, because as I already have AMD it get heat up a lot.

Thinking of upgrading RAM to 4GB as well, will that be good enough, or should I buy even higher?

I dont even know if my build is capable of playing high end games , But I use it frequently for animating in Maya and rendering which is smooth.

I know following about my PC -

- It have 256MB of on board graphics that supports hybrid Crossfire.
- HyperTransport 3.0 and PCIe 2.0 Ready
- Dual Channel DDR2 1066
- ASUS Q-Shield

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
First of all I need to buy a Graphics Card to play new high end games at decent FPS. I have literally 'No Idea' what graphics should I go for and what is supported by my Motherboard.

If you can increase your budget by just a bit then go for PowerColor Radeon HD6790 1 GB @8.5k
Or else you get HIS Radeon HD 6770 1 GB @7.8k.

However, your processor is a problem. Might cause bottleneck.

So you might wanna consider HIS Radeon HD 6670 1 GB @5k or PowerColor Radeon HD6750 1 GB @5.6k.

Also do I need to upgrade my SMPS for using the graphics card?

If you're using a generic PSU, then do change it to Corsair CX430V2 @2.3k.

Thinking of upgrading RAM to 4GB as well, will that be good enough, or should I buy even higher?

Damn DDR2. High prices. Transcend DDR2 1X2GB 800MHz @1.5k.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I have AMD Athlon X2 7750 Dual Core Processor + Asus M3A Motherboard 500GB Graphics and 2 GB RAM.

you need to change your processor as well as motherboard. and what the hell is 500Gb Graphics?

i'll suggest you go for a total system overhaul if you can. if you want to upgrade only graphics card, go for Gigabyte HD7750 (get it from SMC International) & Corsair CX430W V2 from Flipkart though total will exceed your budget but will be worth the investment.

Also do I need to upgrade my SMPS for using the graphics card, because as I already have AMD it get heat up a lot.

what SMPS you have? well old AMD processors does heat up but this shouldn't cause SMPS to heat up.

how much ram you have? DDR2 ram doesn't come cheap.

I dont even know if my build is capable of playing high end games , But I use it frequently for animating in Maya and rendering which is smooth.

a new PC is a must. you'll need to sell out just 12k to get a lot better PC (AMD A6 + A55 + 4Gb DDR3 + Corsair CX430W)

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
That is a rather odd budget window. 3k-8k o_O

Anyway,get a new pc. If not possible at the moment then get a 6670/6770/7750(??) and a psu as suggested.

OP
A

amolwagh

Broken In
Hey sorry guys for posting in wrong forum first and bit of my mistakes in writing. And thanks for great and fast answers.

First of all Sam, I just wanted to upgrade this same build for very casual gaming, so not looking for new PC build. Though the build you suggested is pretty neat. I am planning separately to build a hackintosh with Core i5 2500K + gigabyte MOBO rig for gaming and rendering as well. So no need settle for low budget configuration for new PC.

The PC mentioned here is at my office and I want to add a little bit of spice to it by adding graphics card. But I have no idea about what PSUs and Graphics card would help. But here I got almost all the answers.

I guess as Gaurav Suggested I would go with adding Corsair CX430V2 PSU first with either PowerColor Radeon HD6750 1 GB @5.6k or HIS Radeon HD 6770 1 GB @7.8k.

And yes my MOBO is DDR2, so I would go for the 2GB transcend RAM.

Last edited:
OP
A

amolwagh

Broken In
Hackintosh build can be used for multiple OS installation. And of course I will use Windows for gaming not the Mac OS.

Top Bottom