Need help for HTPC build

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Hi Guys, I've i3 2100 and a gigabyte H61 mobo lying around me since sometime now and have been thinking about building an HTPC around them to station it in my living room. So please help.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: HTPC - Need this rig to be in living room capable of playing HD movies and in future when I add blu-ray drive it should be capable of running BD movies
2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15K - flexible a bit.
3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope
4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 7
5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 250GB.... Even less would do as I have USB HDD with me for playing movies. Cheapest will do for me.
6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No.. would be connecting this rig through HDMI to my LCD TV
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Already have Motherboard, CPU, DVD Writer
8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Next 2 weeks
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Building it myself
10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Will be buying mostly online.
11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I already do have following lying around me.
Core i3 2100
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3
LG DVD Writer

So the config which I was thinking of was
GFX - Sapphire HD6570 - 4.5k
Keyborad/Mouse Wireless - Logitech MK220 - 1.4K
HDD - Seagate Momentus 250GB - 3k
RAM - Corsair VS 4GB - 1.3k
PSU - Corsair VS450 - 2.5k
Cabinet - CM Elite 361 - 2.2K (Please suggest cabinets which can be stationed horizontally only... and would look decent in living room :) )

Please suggest everything apart from processor and mobo as I already do have them.
I'll be buying online only so please give me the links of componenst from primeabgb/flipkart/mdcomputers/theitdepot only.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Get a WDTV .

Jokes apart. get this :

what you have selected is pretty good. just save some on the GFX

GPU : PowerColor AMD/ATI Radeon HD6450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card @ 3k

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
IAF you cant go lower than that. get a second hand HDD for 1k ? Why do you wanna use a HDD at ALL ? Just boot from your drive. Put a bootable live linux disc on your external HDD and put vlc player. run it. No hdd . saved you 3k . :p

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Now.... thats an gr8 idea too.
But won't running my OS (say ubuntu) from USB reduce the performance ? like boot/shutdown times ?

he he jokes aprt... I'll stick with the 250gb I've chosen as of now.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Then better get WDC Blue 500GB for 3.8k. It has 2yrs warranty compared to 1yr of seagate and for 800 bucks more you get double storage.

Also see if you can find HD 5670 1GB DDR5 for around 4.8k.

akky89

Journeyman
heres a link for 5670
SAPPHIRE 5670 DDR5 PCIE 1GB

the only adv. is that it has high core clock @775MHz

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
But is it worth extra 2k I'll put compared to HD6450 in my case ? I wont be playing any games on this HTPC nor will be doing heavy photo editing.
Main purpose of this rig would be
1. Watching DVDs, HD videos, playing videos from youtube
2. Downloading torrents
3. Watching downloaded BD movies & Bluray Discs once I get BD drive in future.

I mean if I'm getting significant perfromance boost with 5670 like I would be able to play games like FIFA13, NFS series... then I'll go for it.

akky89

Journeyman
IMO go for 6450
you really don't need to spend that much cause if you are only going to use it for blue ray movies then
6450 will be sufficient, using a better card will only help if you are going to watch blue ray 3D but then also performance gain won't be too huge..

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
And BTW... that 5670 is out of stock everywhere... even the mdcomputers.in is stating it "out of stock"

For blu-ray 3d... first I'll need to buy a compatible LED TV which would cost a bomb :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
radeon 6670/5670 or equivalent/more powerful graphics card is recommended for HTPC only if you consider yourself a very picture quality conscious person(here is a hint,if you can spot the differences between rendering of EVR/directx9/madvr/hali,notice jitters due to fps mismatch,can spot difference between full rgb[0-255] & limited RGB[16-256] & configure your pc & tv settings accordingly then you are one & if you have no idea what i am talking about then you are not :) )

panwala95

In the zone
i dont think you need a gfx card for a htpc
here is what i suggest-
i3 2100-free ;)
gigabyte h61-free
lg dvd writer -free
cm elite 361-2.2k
seagate 2tb -8k
1x4gb corsair value ram -1.2k
vs 450-2k
i ball premium combo-0.7k
total-14.1k

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
@whitestar_999 & panwala95 - I'll get 6450 only... I need GFX so that I can output sound through HDMi to TV and then to my HT system.

i ball premium combo - is it wireless ?

And guys isn't their any Cabinet I can look out for at 2k price point which will look decent and has small footprint ? Apart from CM 361 ofcourse.

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
hmm.. I need a wireless module so that I can control stuff from my couch. :)

Here is my final list (prices taken from flipkart). Still looking for alternative to CM 361 though

Component
Name
Price
CPU
Core i3 2100
Free
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3
Free
Optical Drive
LG DVD Writer
Free
Monitor
Samsung LCD TV
Free
RAM
Corsair VS 4GB 1333
Graphics Card
Powercolor HD6450
PSU
Corsair VS450
Cabinet
CM Elite 361
HDD
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Keyboard / Mouse
Logitech MK220
Fans for cabinet
CM 80MM Red LED x 2
Total

panwala95

In the zone
most htpc cabbies i found were more than 5k-
*www.flipkart.com/antec-isk-310-150...THSV&ref=3bb0c3e3-dd02-4602-a94d-a9a29fa93778
Lancool PC-V351B | Cabinet | Flipkart.com
LIAN LI PC-V351B Black Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
hmm.. I need a wireless module so that I can control stuff from my couch. :)

Here is my final list (prices taken from flipkart). Still looking for alternative to CM 361 though

Component
Name
Price
CPU
Core i3 2100
Free
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3
Free
Optical Drive
LG DVD Writer
Free
Monitor
Samsung LCD TV
Free
RAM
Corsair VS 4GB 1333
Graphics Card
Powercolor HD6450
PSU
Corsair VS450
Cabinet
CM Elite 361
HDD
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Keyboard / Mouse
Logitech MK220
Fans for cabinet
CM 80MM Red LED x 2
Total

Why do you want cabinet fans? lol. get a cm 361 plz

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
That CM361 doesn't come with even an exhaust fan !!!! It has a lot of fan slots though. Plus the Powecolor HD6450 is passively cooled... not that it needs air cooling but ambient temp inside the case should be bearable for all components so will attach 1 fan at front and 1 at rear. It'll at least help in keeping the HDD at normal temps. :)

Found the cheapest deal for a 160GB HDD
*mdcomputers.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=74_88&product_id=501

and is this true? or some mistake from theitdepot.com ? 64GB Kingstone SSD @3240 ?
*www.theitdepot.com/details-Kingsto...ATA+Internal+Solid+State+Drive_C12P15410.html

Top Bottom