Need help for buying LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushkaraj

In the zone
I will probably pay a visit to lamington road in 2-3 days time. I plan to buy a 19" Widescreen LCD. I will b using my LCD for both gaming and watching movies. I dont want an LCD with inbuilt speakers. I want to know:

1) What features must one consider while buying an LCD. Although i will b visiting some shops, i m pretty sure the shopkeepers dont know much about the LCD features other than the response time and contrast ratio. Are these two factors sufficient to b considered?

2) Which company has good after-sales service? How much is the max warranty given by any company? I heard AOC service is good as it is a new company.

3) My mobo is Gigabyte GA K8N51 GMF-9
Will it support the LCD properly?

4) Following r certain models i saw on www.theitwares.com

Samsung LCD 19 '' 920 NW 10100
Viewsonic LCD 19" VA1912W 8950
Viewsonic LCD 19" VA1912WB 9100
Viewsonic LCD 19 '' VA903B 9600
Viewsonic LCD 19" VG1930WM 9850
Viewsonic LCD 19" VG1932WM 10300
Viewsonic LCD 19" VX1945WM 12000
L.G. LCD 19 " L1952S 10100
Benq LCD 19 '' FP92W 9800

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
940BW is no longer available. Only 920N, nd it dun have DVI nd low on performance.
Get Dell 198 WFP for 10k.

Rockstar11

Technomancer
Samsung 2032BW
resolution: 1680 x 1050
contrast ratio: 1000:1
response time : 2ms
*www.samsung.com/in/consumer/detail...ubtype=tftlcdmonitors&model_cd=LS20PEBSFV/XTP

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Benq FP92W is good I have had both Benq FP92W and 940BW.......performance is more or less similar. Only thing is that the DVI cable is not bundled within the package with benq.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
940BW is no longer available. Only 920N, nd it dun have DVI nd low on performance.
Get Dell 198 WFP for 10k.
Checking it here > *www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_se198wfp?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs
5ms response time:(

Samsung 2032BW
resolution: 1680 x 1050
contrast ratio: 1000:1
response time : 2ms
*www.samsung.com/in/consumer/detail...ubtype=tftlcdmonitors&model_cd=LS20PEBSFV/XTP
Thnx for the link:)
Nice specs. The monitor looks really cool:p The power consumption is also mentioned;but it's a bit high:( i guess(50W)

Benq FP92W is good I have had both Benq FP92W and 940BW.......performance is more or less similar. Only thing is that the DVI cable is not bundled within the package with benq.
*www.benq.com/products/LCD/?product=780&page=specifications
Viewing Angle: 150/140
Response Time:5ms (on+off)
:(

1) What features must one consider while buying an LCD. Although i will b visiting some shops, i m pretty sure the shopkeepers dont know much about the LCD features other than the response time and contrast ratio. Are these two factors sufficient to b considered?

2) Which company has good after-sales service? How much is the max warranty given by any company? I heard AOC service is good as it is a new company.

Can sum1 plz answer my ^queries?

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
All or most of the 19" are TN panel. So viewing angle will not be great, also the response time is not an issue with benq FP92W. Don't go just by numbers I have used it and its a good vfm display.
And since most 19" lcd in the market nowdays lack DVI input (to cut the cost) get one which has DVI input and response time of 5ms or lower.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
@john, if i want a good viewing angle, then should i b looking for lcds other than tn panel? Also my mobo doesnt hav a dvi port. Wont that b a problem?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
For wider viewing angle you must look beyond TN panel. But all or most 19" are TN panel. For other panel like MVA, PVA etc. you have to get altleast 20" or more. For the 20" there is that dell ultrasharp model.
But if you are not into graphic desinging and photo edidting then those panel are of no use, also they cost more then regular TN panels.
For movies and gaming tn is the best as it has low response time. Also newer TN panels can produce 16.7 million colors using dithering.
Right now I am using AOC 24" lcd which has samsung panel and can display full range of colors with 5ms response time.
You can use the VGA output, there will not be any problem. But with DVI the image is a better.

OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
Should i b looking for 2ms LCDs or is 5ms OK? There shouldn't b ghosting effect.

Samsung 2032BW is not available in Lamington Road. Instead i found the Samsung 932BW which is a similar looking model.

I am also considering the AOC 913FW and the AOC 917VW

Samsung 932NW Rs.10,850/-
AOC 913FW Rs.9,350/-
AOC 917VW Rs.8,350/-

Please help me decide guys. Also suggest me if there is some other better vfm model.

Alright, the Samsung 932NW is costly as compared to the AOC models although it has a 2ms response time. AOC 913FW doesnt hav DVI input. Rest all features are same as 917VW and yet the 913FW is costlier than 917VW. So, i m thinking of buying the 917VW. Suggestions are welcome:)

Any AOC users here. They claim to giv on-site warranty. How is there service?

Last edited:

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
i am using viewsonic 22". no probs yet.
EDIT: only prob is poor viewing angle. i mean sideways is not a problem, also with increasing distance from the screen no problem, only when you go slightly above (colours washed out) and slightly below (too dull).

dont worry, i have intel 815, intel PIII 800mhz, 256MB ram, geforce 5200fx, running at 1680x1050 60hz vga a viewsonic 22". ur mobo is leagues ahead. anyway its the gpu thats imp. not mobo.

Last edited:
OP
pushkaraj

pushkaraj

In the zone
I am using AOC 24" lcd display (416V). There aftersale service is good, atleast in kolkata.

i am using viewsonic 22". no probs yet.
EDIT: only prob is poor viewing angle. i mean sideways is not a problem, also with increasing distance from the screen no problem, only when you go slightly above (colours washed out) and slightly below (too dull).
My mom is now asking me to go for Viesonic instead of AOC coz of the brand image. So now i will hav to rethink my decision.

dont worry, i have intel 815, intel PIII 800mhz, 256MB ram, geforce 5200fx, running at 1680x1050 60hz vga a viewsonic 22". ur mobo is leagues ahead. anyway its the gpu thats imp. not mobo.
My mobo has onboard Geforce 6100 GPU:) but no dvi port:(

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
i agree viewsonic >> aoc.

btw i saw some aoc ads in chip/pcw, and it had an innovative tilt feature........

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
hmm...i guess u shld take ur mom to some shops and let her hear wat the sellers have to say....i say AOC....viewsonic..i am hearing lots a pblms...

or Dell... anyways better....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom