Need help buying a new PC 100k

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
soon.... :p

updated my sig... :p
sorry for the delay in pics.. somehow my dearest sis manage to break the cam... :(

can you tell me how to overclock on this board... i want to overclock to moderate 4.2GHz....

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
^^ OC is very simple with this BIOS.

Just select 4.2 GHz from "CPU Level Up" in Extreme Tweaker menu. It should be "Disabled" by default.
After doing this system will boot... it may do it 1 or 2 times. But once you here a beep sound.. again go into BIOS and check. You also might need to set the AI Overclocker Tuner to X.M.P. after this as this may get reset and you may see your RAM running at 1333.

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
^^ OC is very simple with this BIOS.

Just select 4.2 GHz from "CPU Level Up" in Extreme Tweaker menu. It should be "Disabled" by default.
After doing this system will boot... it may do it 1 or 2 times. But once you here a beep sound.. again go into BIOS and check. You also might need to set the AI Overclocker Tuner to X.M.P. after this as this may get reset and you may see your RAM running at 1333.

yes that's exactly what happened last night...
my ram was on 1333Mhz so i select 1600Mhz in drop down...

i did overclock with the CPU level up to 4.2GHz but its using v core of 1.28v which is quite high as i read in some forum...
(but didn't had time to run prime... i'll do it today)

however windows performance index showing 7.7/7.9 really feels good :p

PS: when i finally held the asus gtx670... the feel was awesome and i never thought it would be this big.. :p

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
yes that's exactly what happened last night...
my ram was on 1333Mhz so i select 1600Mhz in drop down...

i did overclock with the CPU level up to 4.2GHz but its using v core of 1.28v which is quite high as i read in some forum...
(but didn't had time to run prime... i'll do it today)

however windows performance index showing 7.7/7.9 really feels good :p

PS: when i finally held the asus gtx670... the feel was awesome and i never thought it would be this big.. :p

Hmm... Then try manual seetings. But if vcore is 1.28 then push the AI overclocker to 4.6 GHz... it'll work without any problems.. The VID range for 3570K is 0.2500-1.5200.

What is stock vcore?

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
Hmm... Then try manual seetings. But if vcore is 1.28 then push the AI overclocker to 4.6 GHz... it'll work without any problems.. The VID range for 3570K is 0.2500-1.5200.

What is stock vcore?

@4.6GHz won't it get too hot then.. i mean will the hyper 212 evo be able to keep it within the range....

and can you tell me about the manual method...
i mean which values need to be changed for that...
i'm completely noob when it comes to overclocking, have absolutely no experience with overclocking...

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
IMO if you really need 4.6 ghz then sure try for it otherwise 4.2 is more than decent enough for now. You can try turning down vcore manually. In the Ai Tweaker menu there must be an option for CPU voltage. If its on auto make it manual and try to lower vcore gradually and test with prime95 and intel burn test. I don't have idea about IB processors optimum voltage so maybe Mandar can help you there.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
akky89;1747513[B said:
]@4.6GHz won't it get too hot then[/B].. i mean will the hyper 212 evo be able to keep it within the range....

and can you tell me about the manual method...
i mean which values need to be changed for that...
i'm completely noob when it comes to overclocking, have absolutely no experience with overclocking...

Have installed additional fan on your 212 ? If yes then dont worry... Run it and test it. I'm running mine @4.6GHz with same mobo and cooler else set it to 4.4 GHz.. should be fine.
But always test your overclocks before depending on them. I'm using Silverstone Raven RV03 cabinet which is considered as best cabinet for air cooling. So I might be getting benifitted because of it since it has two huge 180MM fans blowing air inside the cabinet.

For manually overclocking..
1. Set Multiplies to the desired value. e.g. 44 for 4.4GHz or 46 for 4.6GHz
2. Set vCore manually. I required 1.336v for getting to 4.6 GHz. Probably can do in less as well but haven't treid it yet. Sumonpathak reached 4.8 GHz on 1.392v. But these will be too hot if you
dont have additional fan on your 212.

Temps will vary chip to chip, so best way to know your chips capabilities beter try reaching 4.4 and then test temps by running benchmarks.

IMO if you really need 4.6 ghz then sure try for it otherwise 4.2 is more than decent enough for now. You can try turning down vcore manually. In the Ai Tweaker menu there must be an option for CPU voltage. If its on auto make it manual and try to lower vcore gradually and test with prime95 and intel burn test. I don't have idea about IB processors optimum voltage so maybe Mandar can help you there.

True. If you are into benchmarking then only go beyond that. For gaming 4.2 GHz is more than required actually.

And have look at this guide as well. Even though its for Formula but UEFI BIOS is similar. You'll gett the hang of it.

*rog.asus.com/136402012/maximus-v-motherboards/maximus-v-formula-overclocking-guide/

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
Actually i don't want to go beyond 4.2GHz cause my main usage will be gaming so i know 4.2GHz is more the enough, i just asked out of curiosity.

@Manadar no i didn't add second fan yet... because i ran out of budget so need to cut somewhere.. :p
but will add it soon like in a month or 2. Thanks for the guide, looks good... :)

i just want to go 4.2GHz with as less temps as i can get, thus asking about vCore as i know higher the vCore higher will be the temps at least on IB

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ For 4.2 GHz I don't think you need to make many changes in the BIOS. Leave everything as it was in default profile and change the multiplier to 42. If Vcore on Auto gets too high for the comfort then you can try lowering vcore manually. Don't slide it down more than .01 v at a time. Notch it down gradually and then do stress testing. Keep doing it until you get BSOD and after that you can notch it UP by .01 v and you should be stable.

"Higher the VCore higher will be the temps"- that is true for even SB. Atleast in SB I did not need to change any settings at all for 4.2 GHz I hope its the same with IB too. IB users correct me if I am wrong. For 4.4 i had to set vcore manually and disable Speedstep.

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
Well didn't get much time last night to try out every thing so still going to try to overclock today...
one thing happened AI suit was somehow set to 4.6GHz and my CPU was running at that clock i can boot into windows but when ever i try to start games like black-ops or dragon age 2.. the game wont start...
but after i disable these settings i could play the games flawlessly... (and actually spent rest of the time playing thats why no time for further overclocking.. :p )

i have 3 queries:-
1. proper procedure to overclock manually... i mean from where to start.. increase the vCore or multiplier first and how to progress thereon.
2. for how long should i run Intel burn test and prime95 to be sure that my system is perfectly stable and can use it for gaming and other day to day stuff..
3. and what temps are optimum for any settings (please tell me both idle and full load temps)

thanks
cheers!

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
finally yesterday got time to check manual overclocking...
now running stable @4.2 with vCore 1.190V :)
test with Intel burn test 20 tests...
:)

Top Bottom