Need help buying a new PC 100k

akky89

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Main usage will be playing all the current and upcoming games in highest possible settings @1080p for example battlefield 3 and programming.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 100k max.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: yes (moderately)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 7.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB, but if can get an SSD with lower sized HDD it will be fine too...

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: any good 24" 1080p monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:UPS

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: most likely first week of next month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: This is my first full build and planning to do it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I'm from Delhi and i'm open for online shopping only if its cheaper there.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: well i have some preferences but can be altered :-D.
cabinet: nzxt phantom 410
processor: 3570K
gfx: gtx 670 ( thinking of asus gtx670 dc2t)
mobo: asrock z77 extreme6
psu: corsair TX750
any amount of the help is much appreciated. Thank you :)

havoknation

Journeyman
here you go :

CPU : core i7 3770K : 22k
Mobo : Asrock extreme 6 : 12.5k
RAM : 8GB Gskill 1600Mhz DDR3 : 3.4k
GPU : GTX670 : 27.5k
Caby : Phantom 410 : 6.2k or Corsair 400R : 5k
SSD : OCZ vertex4 128GB or Force GT 128GB : 8.2k
HDD : Seagate 7200.14 sata3 1TB : 5k
Monitor : Dell U2312H : 15.5k or BenQ G2420HD : 10k
PSU : Corsair TX650V2 : 6k

Total with benq LCD and 400R caby : 99,600 Rs \m/ Go Game BF3 @ extreme settings

It's more then a day and 80 views but still no reply.... :cry:

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
here you go :

CPU : core i7 3770K : 22k
Mobo : Asrock extreme 6 : 12.5k
Caby : Phantom 410 : 6.2k or Corsair 400R : 5k
SSD : OCZ vertex4 128GB or Force GT 128GB : 8.2k
HDD : Seagate 7200.14 sata3 1TB : 5k
Monitor : Dell U2312H : 15.5k or BenQ G2420HD : 10k

Total with benq LCD and 400R caby : 99,600 Rs \m/ Go Game BF3 @ extreme settings

thanks mate...

Is hyperthreading give any proformance gain in terms of gaming ?

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Go for i5 3570K and put in the saved 7K in good mobo like Assus Maximus V Formula or Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe or even ASUS Maximus V Gene. No doubt Extreme 6 is one of the better buys at 12.5k but dont go for Asrock if you have money to spend. ASRock has bad reputation when it comes to VRM (Power) solutions they give on their boards, also the build quality is not so good (personal experience as I have an Extreme6 lying around me). Asus are master of this art and you cant go wrong with them.
Also you'll need to think about getting good keyboard and mouse as your main purpose is gaming, which will cost you around 5k for a good combo.

HT wont give you performance gains in Gaming as game devlopers haven't exploited that capacity much right now. Modern games hardly make use of all 4 threads of i5 processors. HT would be very usefull when you are into image/video production. Thats why recommendation is to go for i5 for gaming.
After modifying havoknations recommendations -

CPU : core i5 3570K : 15k
Mobo : Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe : 21k (as Maximus V Formula is not avilable in India yet fully)
Caby : Silverstone Raven RV03 : 9k
SSD : Corsair Force 3 60GB : 5k
HDD : WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB : 5k
Monitor : BenQ G2420HD : 10k
Keyboard : Razer Arctosa : 2.3K
Mouse : Razer DeathAdder 3500 DPI : 2.3k

Total 106500

Total 105200

You can get all above items at less cost than I had mentioned in Delhi.... friends here on TDF will help you in finding good shops.
So definitely total cost will fit in 100K as per your budget.

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
@mandarpalshikar
Thanks mate! that's an awesome config.
well don't i need a good cpu cooler cause i want to overclock a little (@4.2GHz) ?
so please update the rig so that it can be in budget. I also need to fit in a good 2.1 speaker system in the budget.

this is what i thought of before...
i5 3570k
asrock z77 extreme6 (but liked your opinion better :p)
corsair force 3 120gb (cause i'll be installing more games in it)
any 1TB drive sata 3.0
8 gigs of ram DDR3-1600(i was thinking of corsair vengeance LP)
razer cyclosa bundle
asus gtx 670 dc2t

and if anyone can then help me find the best place where i can find these stuff for best price. :)

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
is 650W psu is ok for future use also...
i mean i'm planning of adding another gtx670 next year... will it be able to handle that too...

thanks for suggesting... :)

acewin

Point Blanc
do not see benefit of buying a core i5 combo having 21K mobo, where in you can get core i7 combo in lesser price.

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
@acewin i guess you are right but the thing is i7 is just waste of money for me as i'm not going to gain anything by using the i7 procy cause i'll be using my rig mainly for gaming which don't benefit by the HT, that's the only extra feature in i7 over i5.
and i'm still open for suggestions (thats why i'm here asking :p)....

@mandarpalshikar
Thanks mate that's a great conig. for the rig but there are few things i forgot to mention ...
1. i need cpu cooler as i'll be doning overclocking. [at least @ 4.2GHz]
2. i need to add good 2.1 speaker system in the build too.
so need to adjust the build for the same.

and i'm also going to install few games on the ssd. So will 60 gigs be sufficient for that too ??

acewin

Point Blanc
get 128 GB 60 gigs will be a little short. yes spending less on mobo proccy combo and getting extra accessories like cooler, is good idea.
I suggest following changes

ASUS P8Z77-M PRO Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com
Altec Lansing VS2621 | Speaker | Flipkart.com

also I think having a decent keyboard mice is really required so do keep Arctosa otherwise go for normal combo
Razer Arctosa Gaming Keyboard | Keyboard | Flipkart.com

Logitech Gaming Combo G100 Keyboard | Keyboard | Flipkart.com
you can also change mouse to Logitech G300, which is quiet decent mouse.
Logitech G300 Gaming Mouse | Mouse | Flipkart.com

change cabby to NZXT Phantom

also change monitor to a Dell U2311h/U2311HM price range 14-15K

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
1. Look at this thread by tkin to help you out in CPU Coolng. But for 4.2GHz clocks CM hyper 212 Evo is more than enough. You can add additional fan in future if you need.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/142397-cpu-cooler-guide-sandy-ivy-bridge-cpus.html

2. Lot of choices for speakers... take a look at Altec Lansing Octane 7 2.1 speakers @ 3.7K or JBL Creature III 2.1 @ 5k

3. Installing games on SSD is bad idea until you are thinkning of changing your SSD frequently. And anyways it wont make any difference if you play games from SSD or HDD as long as your OS is installed on SSD.

Would suggest to go for Asus Maximus V Gene mobo so that you wont loose out on any of the features and still get all the stuff you require. :) Personally using it. Also I would remove Silverstone RV03 and get a Corsair 400R to save money, if you are not a cabinet fanboy :p.

Here is the modified rig to fit in the budget... :cool: You can tinker with it by choosing other little bit less expensinve speaker from say Creative. You can end up saving anothe 1.5K.

Component
Name
Price
CPU
Core i5 3570K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus V Gene
RAM
G.Skill Sniper 8GB 1600MHz
Graphics Card
Sapphire HD 7950 OC Edition
PSU
Corsair TX650v2
Cabinet
Corsair 400R
HDD
WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB
SSD
Corsair Force 3 60GB
Monitor
BenQ G2420HD
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B5ST
Keyboard
Razer Arctosa
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 3500DPI
CPU Cooler
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Speaker
JBL Creature III 2.1
Total

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
1. Look at this thread by tkin to help you out in CPU Coolng. But for 4.2GHz clocks CM hyper 212 Evo is more than enough. You can add additional fan in future if you need.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/142397-cpu-cooler-guide-sandy-ivy-bridge-cpus.html

2. Lot of choices for speakers... take a look at Altec Lansing Octane 7 2.1 speakers @ 3.7K or JBL Creature III 2.1 @ 5k

3. Installing games on SSD is bad idea until you are thinkning of changing your SSD frequently. And anyways it wont make any difference if you play games from SSD or HDD as long as your OS is installed on SSD.

Would suggest to go for Asus Maximus V Gene mobo so that you wont loose out on any of the features and still get all the stuff you require. :) Personally using it. Also I would remove Silverstone RV03 and get a Corsair 400R to save money, if you are not a cabinet fanboy :p.

Here is the modified rig to fit in the budget... :cool: You can tinker with it by choosing other little bit less expensinve speaker from say Creative. You can end up saving anothe 1.5K.

Component
Name
Price
CPU
Core i5 3570K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus V Gene
RAM
Graphics Card
Sapphire HD 7950 OC Edition
PSU
Corsair TX650v2
Cabinet
Corsair 400R
HDD
WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB
SSD
Corsair Force 3 60GB
Monitor
BenQ G2420HD
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B5ST
Keyboard
Razer Arctosa
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 3500DPI
CPU Cooler
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Speaker
JBL Creature III 2.1
Total

May i ask why installing games on ssd is bad choice? actually i thought it will give boost to read/write in gaming too. [ sorry if its a noob question ]
and i like good looking caby but don't want to spend a lot over it. and my be personal believe i like to get an nvidia card.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Installing games on SSD will reduce the life of your SSD as the read-write cycles would increase a lot during gaming. Performance wise you wont see any difference.... only game load times will improve. But once the game starts... no difference as all calculations are being done by your GPU and your GPUs memory is being used.
:)
Even I have been an Nvidia fanboy till last 2 weeks when I shifted to HD7950. The thing is prices of GTX670 are above 28k everywhere. Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition is retailing at 25k on flipkart right now which is the best buy. You can overclock this card a lot. Your choice :)

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
then its best to install games on hdd and only OS on ssd, it will not effect the gaming performance at all....
just out of curiosity how frequent will i have to switch the ssd if use it to install games as well... ???
and what about Razer cyclosa bundle... is it a wise choice ???
and can you suggest me any other caby too... ??

funskar

Padawan
Better buy F&d a520 2.1 for 1.8k instead of jbl creature
and invest that remaing on gpu n get zotac gtx 670 amp for 29.5k:-D

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
@Funskar
i don't know anything about F&D, is it good ??
and i was thinking to reduce my keyboard and mouse to razer cyclosa bundle @2.5k
and speakers to altec lansing octane 7 @3.7
and spending the extra in asus gtx670 dc2

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
then its best to install games on hdd and only OS on ssd, it will not effect the gaming performance at all....
just out of curiosity how frequent will i have to switch the ssd if use it to install games as well... ???
and what about Razer cyclosa bundle... is it a wise choice ???
and can you suggest me any other caby too... ??

1. have a read through following.... will give you confidence that you can install games on SSD and keep on playing... but I beg to differ :) I cant research on this as I dont have 7k to 8k
to waste on SSD and finding out after 1 year its dead because I played games from it... ha ha ha
Debunking SSD lifespan and random write performance concerns « Max Schireson's blog

2. Razer Cyclosa bundle is good choice as well.

3. For cabinets have a look at
a. Bitfenix Shinobi Window
b. NZXT Phantom Crafted
c. Corsair 500R
4. CoolerMaster 690II Advanced USB3.0 edition

@Funskar
i don't know anything about F&D, is it good ??
and i was thinking to reduce my keyboard and mouse to razer cyclosa bundle @2.5k
and speakers to altec lansing octane 7 @3.7
and spending the extra in asus gtx670 dc2

1. F&D is a good pair of speakers but cant beat Octane 7... if your buidget is leass go for F&D else Ocatne 7 is a good choice.
2. Go ahead with Cyclosa bundle..... you can t go wrong with Razer keyboards and mouse. (some of the headgear & mouse pads they make are really not upto the mark)
3. Go aheadt with Octane 7.
4. HD7950 overclocked from sapphire is available at 25k on flipkart ... steal deal man... you can overclock it still more and get better performance that GTX670
*www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-...V8HQ&ref=3c419b76-d09a-4ec2-bcb1-e947637e2564

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
Thanks for the info...
this is what i finalize till now...

i5 3570K
Corsair 400R
WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB
Corsair Force 3 60GB
BenQ G2420HD
Asus DRW-24B5ST
Octane 7
Cyclosa bundle
CM Hyper 212 Evo

things left mobo,caby and gfx.
for mobo:
well i have 2 options now first you suggested maximums V gene and other is p8z77-v.

for caby...
still in dilemma with all the choices you gave.... :p

for gfx..
thinking to finalize the rest of the build first then according to the budget left i'll go for 7950 or gtx 670....

also thinking of razer gothic mouse pad....

edit:
for caby corsair 500r or cm 690 ii advanced

Last edited:

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Have a look at Steelseries QCK Mass (M) as well for mouse pad.

For mobo -- you cant go wrong with any one of those. But just dont ignore gene as it is mATX mobo since it outperformce most of the fullATX mobos out their. BTW MVG has better on-board sound with Supreme FX III (which is ALC898 chip but with additional features such as PCB separation and magnetic shielding and better capacitors) compared to P8ZTT-V (which has older ALC892 chip).

Read this review from Hrdocp .... you will be awstuck !!! If you are building RIG for gaming go for MVG.

OP
A

akky89

Journeyman
actually i have no idea about mouse pads...
so going with your choice with eyes closed :p

and as for the mobo
well i the only reason for my lean towards the p8z77-V is wifi-go!,
this is why i'm in dilemma as i know rog mobos are quite superior and have great build quality and feature set (at least for gaming rigs).

and which caby according to you will be better cm 690 ii adv. or corsair 500r ??

few more things i would like to ask...
1. is hyper 212 evo is enough for overclocking around 4.6GHz though i may only do it just for benchmarking :p and is it bad if i keep my cpu overclocked to 4.2GHz permanently on this cooler.
2. is tx650 v2 is enough cause when my gfx performance start to drop i mean when more demanding games come i may add another to make it sli/cf. (though i doubt that it may come anytime soon :)) )

Top Bottom