Need help as PC acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
In recent time my PC iss acting weird. I have observed that after switching on the PC for couple of minutes it hangs up and I'm unable to do anything. I have to eventually restart the machine using the reset button. I don't know what could have triggered this problem. Though couple of weeks back I got an alert message telling that my PC has been infected with w32/Conficker.worm. Also off late I'm getting an alert message from Comodo firewall telling that an application is trying to access the PC SVCHOST.exe and its some kind of memory leak. I use NOD32 full version and have my antivirus definitions updated daily.

ishanjain

Broken In
Offcourse you are infected with a virus. It looks like it has dweled into your system, so i suggest you to format.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Has anybody heard about the virus/worm conficker? How does one remove it? Do we have any removal tools? I tried downloading one but while installing it on my PC it gave me a message telling some dll file missing and hence could not remove it from the PC.

One more thing I wanted to check was in Windows Explorer to the left we have a pane which shows details like how much space is there on the disk etc. If this window is no longer available does this mean there is a virus infected in the PC? I similar experience earlier as well and my friend said that it is due to virus being infected.

Please find attached screen shots for the same

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
^^ attachments don't work here, u can post these images on an image hosting site.

And regarding ur problem I think ur PC is infected with a virus, have u tried using Avast antivirus or bootable rescue disk of kaspersky or something which scans ur PC even before starting ur Windows.

Also use antispyware. I suggest spybot and spyware terminator, because sometimes one thinks it is virus but in real it is spyware, it has happened to me , so scan with a good antispyware.

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
i faced this virus 3 week ago u r using NOD32 so go to that file and submit it after 15 min update again ur nod u got right signature for it

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Here are the images again.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
*img19.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=windowsexploreractual.jpg

Last edited:

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
Conficker, you say?
Try this:*technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dd452420.aspx

Also, about the disabled explorer pane, try doing this:-
Go to View>Explorer Bar and make sure that "Folders" is checked.
Next, go to Tools >Folder Options> General> Tasks and check show common tasks.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Conficker, you say?
Try this:*technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dd452420.aspx

Also, about the disabled explorer pane, try doing this:-
Go to View>Explorer Bar and make sure that "Folders" is checked.
Next, go to Tools >Folder Options> General> Tasks and check show common tasks.

The steps provided by you worked. Thanks a lot. But system still seems to hang. I have installed MSRT software and ran a scan but still the problem persists.

Eyes Only

Right off the assembly line
Dude then I doubt that virus is causing your system to hang, have you checked all your hardware it might be the case that your hard drive is busy packing up peripherals are malfunctioning. If you can boot into safe mode and check if all hardware picks up and working, it could be a driver issue as well.....
good luck

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
^^I disagree. The symptoms this guy states ARE actually caused by ficky (Conficker, I call it that! :D). Ficky is famous for trying to gain control of the Windows host process, Windows Explorer etc...

@ajayritik: MSRT failed to detect ficky? Try following a step by step procedure to first deactivate it and then remove it. Follow the guide here:*support.microsoft.com/kb/962007. Scroll down to prevention and removal sections and follow the steps.

Note that if MSRT fails, you might wanna try other antivirus software. I wonder where mrintech is... he hasn't posted addresses of online scanners yet. Try *www.mcafee.com/freescan.

Also, that link I provided above (the microsoft one, in this very post) contains this:-
Note The Stand-Alone System Sweeper tool will also remove this infection. This tool is available as a component of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack 6.0 or through Customer Service and Support. To obtain the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
*www.microsoft.com/windows/enterprise/technologies/mdop.aspx

Failing of MSRT implies presence of Conficker.C ficky. MSRT still doesn't know how to deal with it! Also, I know Microsoft is a genius at blundering arond with their antivirus/antispyware softwares. So, if you prefer Symantec, try these removal procedures for A, B and C variants of ficky:*www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=conficker_worm

A little tip for you: Never format when facing a virus. It will boost your morale :D.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^I disagree. The symptoms this guy states ARE actually caused by ficky (Conficker, I call it that! :D). Ficky is famous for trying to gain control of the Windows host process, Windows Explorer etc...

@ajayritik: MSRT failed to detect ficky? Try following a step by step procedure to first deactivate it and then remove it. Follow the guide here:*support.microsoft.com/kb/962007. Scroll down to prevention and removal sections and follow the steps.

Note that if MSRT fails, you might wanna try other antivirus software. I wonder where mrintech is... he hasn't posted addresses of online scanners yet. Try *www.mcafee.com/freescan.

Also, that link I provided above (the microsoft one, in this very post) contains this:-

Failing of MSRT implies presence of Conficker.C ficky. MSRT still doesn't know how to deal with it! Also, I know Microsoft is a genius at blundering arond with their antivirus/antispyware softwares. So, if you prefer Symantec, try these removal procedures for A, B and C variants of ficky:*www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=conficker_worm

A little tip for you: Never format when facing a virus. It will boost your morale :D.
Thanks for your informative reply. Currently busy with exam so will figure it out how to get rid of this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom