Need Hard Drive for Storing stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellKing

Broken In
Hey guys,

I just ran out of space in my rig, so I'm thinking of adding another hard drive, budget is about 3-4 k (extendable). I need a hard drive for storing my collection (music, movies, games etc)

It won't be holding my OS, so I can be 5400 RPM (7200 still prefered though!)]
Looking for a terabyte or so hard drive space

My current rig is something like :

Intel D 945G mobo with Pentium D 805
1 gig of RAM (512x2) 533 MHz
MSI 9600GT

Current I have 2 hard drives :
A segate 160 gig and a Western Digital 250 GB

Also, can 3 hard drives coexist peacefully? I've got a 500W Cooler Master PSU

Also, my Bootloader is completely messed up because of my repeated installations of Ubuntu and Windows, I'm planning to install Windows 7 soon, any way to fix the Bootloader??
(I have OS bootloaders install on both hard drives, and a lot of other places, very messed up!)

Thankx in advance!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
WD caviar blue 1Tb for 4.5k should be perfect for your need.

regarding boot loader, can you post the snapshot of bootloader and what is the content of file boot.ini in os drive.

OP
H

HellKing

Broken In
Code:
[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\="Unidentified operating system on drive C."

I probably have more than one boot.ini file, I'll try and search for them!
{I'm currently using Ubuntu}

Anyway, is there a way of installing two OSes, such that only one shows up when one hard drive is selected as the primary boot in BIOS??

Something like :
I select Boot from Hard Drive X and 7 starts
I select Boot from Hard Drive Y and Ubuntu starts??

Also, the question rises : WD or Segate 1tb??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
when you are installing OS on HDD X, disconnect HDD Y and vice versa. This is the simplest way of doing it. Once you install both OSes, you can boot into certain OS by selecting the HDD to boot.

seagate has been having issues lately and I would prefer WD for now.

Krow

Crowman
WD Green is for 4k if you are only going to store data and not play games from the HDD. Else, look for WD blue @ 4.5k or WD Black @ 5.5-6k.

static_x

In the zone
You've 2 options:
1. Opt for Seagate 1 TB Drive @4K - 7200 RPM
2. WD Caviar Green 1 TB @4.1K - Intellipower ;-) (5400 RPM to be precise)

I would say go for WD its reliable and power efficient.

Cilus

laborare est orare
For storing data, I think Seagate 1 TB @ 4k will be fine. It is a very good HDD with 32MB cache and Seagate service is very good, in fact better than WD. So just for dumping ur thing it will be fine. I am using it.

OP
H

HellKing

Broken In
Thankx for the help guys!!

So I'll probably be going for WD Caviar Green 1TB, I'll ask dad if he can pitch in, if yes, then WD Caviar Blue (and if he's generous enuff, maybe even WD Caviar Black)

:p

Edit : How much is Caviar Black anyway??? Does it even come in 1 TB size?

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Thankx for the help guys!!

So I'll probably be going for WD Caviar Green 1TB, I'll ask dad if he can pitch in, if yes, then WD Caviar Blue (and if he's generous enuff, maybe even WD Caviar Black)

:p

Edit : How much is Caviar Black anyway??? Does it even come in 1 TB size?
WD Caviar Black comes only in 1TB sizes IIRC. It should be available for 5.5-6k.

Go for Green its great and most VFM.

OP
H

HellKing

Broken In
Yeah Black's a little expensive

So I'll probably be going for WDC Green

Now I have space for 3 hdd in my cabinet, 2 are already used(160gig and 250gig). If I add a third one, they'll all be had to toe (bad for cooling)

Also, I have 2-3 CD Drive bays empty, I could try and screw the HDD there!

So should I go for 3 HDD setup while trying to screw it in CD drive area, or should I replace the 160 gig HDD??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
stick to 3HDD setup for now and if monitor HDD temps and if they are going too high, put one 80mm fan next to the HDD bay.

Krow

Crowman
^Are you the one who had a 640GB WD non-black die on him and got a replacement 750GB WD Black?

Anyway, I need a favour from you static_x. Since you and I have the same Processor and mobo, could you pease post a screenshot of CPUID H/W Monitor in the overheating problems thread? If yes, then Download H/W Monitor from here :*www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Then run it. Keep system idle for 10-15 minutes first, then run prime95 for an hour and if you can for three hours. Don't close HW monitor all the while and take a screen shot as I wanna check both idle and load temps in that only. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom