need guide for os.ubuntu or fedora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quan chi

mortal kombat
hi friends.

i am having 2-3 disk of ubuntu's and one for fedora(came with digit mag:D) for many days.but never tried them.

well i have two partitions.windows xp is installed on one partition.can i install ubuntu or fedora on another.will it be safe?

btw which one should i try first fedora or ubuntu as i havent tried any linux based operating system before.

hope you will help.:)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Yes u can install Linux on another partition and it'll be safe. Just make sure u don't have any data on that partition and while installing delete the partition and select to configure itself on free space. For detailed information on how to install Linux refer to FT on Linux and Open Source. U'll also get many threads on this topic. Just search the forum. As u r first to linux I wud say to go for Ubuntu. :)

OP
quan chi

quan chi

mortal kombat
thanks for the reply.
while installing delete the partition and select to configure itself on free space.
sorry couldnt get you properly on this.if i delete that partition while installing will it create a new one itself?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Thats why I said first read a tutorial on how to install Linux. Installing linux and windows are completely different.

Linux needs min 3 partitions
1. /- This the root, where you'll be installing all the files
2. /boot - This is where ur bootloader resides(Grub)
3. swap - Its like virtual memory

And there are many partitions u can create(depends on situatn and needs) but these 3 are primary.

Well.......Just delete the partition from Windows where u want to install Linux

Now boot with the Ubuntu CD/DVD(whatever u have) and while installing select "Install in free space" or sumthing like that. It will configure itself. Just review the partition before making any chages in next step otherwise u'll be left with nothing.....!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom