Need external cooler for 9800gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

pravin_pran

Broken In
Hi guys,

As my stock cooler sucks, my graphic card Galaxy 9800gt reaches to new height everyday in temperature. It got to 107 c today without any overclock, while playing Battlefield 3. I seriously want to buy the cooler for my graphics card.
I have this card for last 3 years and is out of warranty, thats why dont want to invest too much money in it. Pl suggest a good cooler which i can buy upto Rs.1500/-.

I stay in mumbai if anyone know the shop where i can buy that cooler pl guide me to that.

Regards,
Pravin

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
finding an appropriate cooler won't be easy. you may try cleaning & applying new thermal gel (TIM) which should lower temperate quite a bit. else try to sell off the GPU for 2-2.5k and add the 1.5k budget you have for cooler and get a HD5670 512Mb GDDR5 or maybe a HD6670. but spending 1.5k on a 3yr old GPU just to lower temperature look like the most ridiculous idea to waste money.

AmpleNM

TeKky In Being
buy any 80mm case fan any try fixing it on the top of your 9800gt's Heat sink using clips or some tapes.
I did the the same with my 9400GT, temps are reduced to 40(idle) from 70's

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting a cooler via Ebay.in (Import from USA) will cost you around Rs. 3000.

OP
P

pravin_pran

Broken In
buy any 80mm case fan any try fixing it on the top of your 9800gt's Heat sink using clips or some tapes.
I did the the same with my 9400GT, temps are reduced to 40(idle) from 70's

Could you please upload the pictures?

finding an appropriate cooler won't be easy. you may try cleaning & applying new thermal gel (TIM) which should lower temperate quite a bit. else try to sell off the GPU for 2-2.5k and add the 1.5k budget you have for cooler and get a HD5670 512Mb GDDR5 or maybe a HD6670. but spending 1.5k on a 3yr old GPU just to lower temperature look like the most ridiculous idea to waste money.

I have no one to buy this card. If someone want to buy this card for 2500 k i am ready to sell. And maximum resolution 1366*768. I can play battlefield 3 at medium resolution with 60-80 with my i5-2500k. I dont want to throw away this card either so can i use any home made stock cooler for this card?

sukesh1090

Adam young
if you can use the home made stock cooler then it is great but if you want to spend 1.5k for that card then it is really waste of money.btw you mean 2.5k not 2500k right??:wink:

OP
P

pravin_pran

Broken In
if you can use the home made stock cooler then it is great but if you want to spend 1.5k for that card then it is really waste of money.btw you mean 2.5k not 2500k right??:wink:

I dont have any other option brother, dont want to throw away this card, and if i buy any other cand ill atleast invest Rs7000-8000 since my maximum resolution is 1366*768 and not more than that. Most intense game today in bf3 and my card play it well.
Ya, 2.5k for card and 2500k for processor :razz:

Do you wana buy my card, ill give you at 2k....:)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you said the gpu reaches 107C under load - will not it just shutdown with such high temps ?? Can you tell us what app you are using to monitor the gpu temp ?? Use HWinfo to get proper temp reading.

BTW, if you are willing to sell the gpu at 2k I would you will have to invest in a gpu and @7/8k you can get much more powerful HD6770 / HD6790 ;-)

OP
P

pravin_pran

Broken In
^^ you said the gpu reaches 107C under load - will not it just shutdown with such high temps ?? Can you tell us what app you are using to monitor the gpu temp ?? Use HWinfo to get proper temp reading.

BTW, if you are willing to sell the gpu at 2k I would you will have to invest in a gpu and @7/8k you can get much more powerful HD6770 / HD6790 ;-)

I used FurMark to check temperature. It reached 107 but didnt shut down itself. I think the card is really tought. I went to service centre today. They replaced the cooler on the graphics card and bingo my temperature is now 76c atmost. Under full stress while playing battlefied 3 it doesnt exceed 76c in 3 hours. MAX TEMPERATURE IS 76c NOW from 107c. Its amazing what a good cooler can do to a card.
You would like to buy the card? send pm

Call *moderator warning - no personal details to be posted publicly*

Regards,
Pravin

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I don't need it - if you need to sell it post a thread in Bazaar Section with proper deatils.

anyway, the temps are really cool now and how much the service center guys charged for replacing the cooler - if possible post a pic of the card with new cooler - wanna have a look how good the new cooler looks ;-)

OP
P

pravin_pran

Broken In
^^ I don't need it - if you need to sell it post a thread in Bazaar Section with proper deatils.

anyway, the temps are really cool now and how much the service center guys charged for replacing the cooler - if possible post a pic of the card with new cooler - wanna have a look how good the new cooler looks ;-)

Service guys didnt take anything they just replaced the whole cooler. My card was left with 15 days warranty when i actually informed those guys. They said it will have to send to china for fan replacement that will be charged Rs 300. I agreed on the term but they just replaced the card with other ( out of warranty -ofcourse) 9800gt. And i posted here about the REPLACED card. After dicussing with you guys i took this REPLACED card to them and told them about temperature issue with new aswell. So they replaced the just the cooler. Now this card runs perfect, this card actually gives me almost 15-20 % more performance than earlier one that too without overclocking. Earlier was overclocked.
I will surely post picture as soon as i get this thing out of my pc.
Cooler looks exactly like Zalman Style VGA/Graphic Card Aluminium Heatsink Wif Cooling Fan - LPS TECHNOLOGY - Lower Price Online IT Shop but its china made not Zelman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom