Need config for small download rig

manistar

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: Download only, Should not hang when i connect to it through RDP.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15K-20k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows XP/UBUNTU

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 250GB as i will be connecting it to my external HD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, Going to use it only via RDP.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Mouse, keyboard, Monitor

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: in two weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: This will be done by assembler, but i can choose config

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Chennai, Yes ready to buy stuff online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I already have Desktop and laptop. I am expecting something which will be compact(as small as possible), queit, power efficent and runs cool.
Added WIFI will be a big plus if not i can manage with ethernet.
I was looking for something like mini pc or plug till now but most of it are not reliable and reviews are bad. so decided to go for configuring myself

Last edited:

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
PENTIUM G620
ASUS P8H61 M LX
4 GB Corsair Value Ram
ASUS DVD RW
SEAGATE 250 GB HDD
Corsair VS450
CM Elite 310
Creative Speaker
V Guard 600 VA UPS.
TOTAL 17K.

saz

Journeyman
^Hey, we can suggest some Intel Atom based mobo+cpu combo in a mATX cabinet like CM 100 and adding a wifi USB adapter...if its purely for download with occasional web surfing.

Last edited:

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
^^ +1, get an Intel Atom based proccy as they are relatively cheap and less power consuming, and it can handle normal surfing and all night downloads also.

OP
manistar

manistar

Broken In
Thanks for your suggesstions..

btw do i need optical drive to install OS? any other method to install OS without Optical drive.

Also after reading many threads i arrive at
Intel D425KT
4 GB Corsair Value Ram
SEAGATE 250 GB HDD
Corsair VS450
CM Elite 310
V Guard 600 VA UPS

Is this good config?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
You can install OS through a bootable pendrive. It is much faster than installing from a DVD.

saz

Journeyman
@manister: you can also opt for CM 100 cabinet to save space and it also comes with PSU which is sufficient enough to power your download rig....and as mentioned by rijinpk1, you can install OS using a bootable pendrive...

Look here -> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/146264-cm-elite-100-intel-d425kt-basic-24-x-7-dl-rig.html just what you need ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom