Need comments on proposed first half of the 100K build

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello..
I started my research for getting a new pc a couple of months ago, and this is the rig i am planning to get..( This is the first phase of the build. Monitor,GPU,Cooler later)

CPU- Intel Core i5 3570K
Intel 3.4 GHz FCLGA1155 Core i5 3570K Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com

Motherboard- Asus P8Z77-V Pro
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

Ram- G.Skill RipjawsX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB)
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

PSU- Seasonic S12II 620 Watts
Seasonic S12II 620 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

SSD- Crucial M4 256 GB
Crucial m4 SSD | 256GB SSD | SSD Drive | Best SSD

Case- NZXT Phantom 410 Special Edition
( Could not find anyone in India selling it..Help here? )

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77 V @ 16k
Processor - Core i5 3570k @ 16k
PSU- Corsair HX650 @ 7k
Cabinet- Corsair Carbide 500r @ 6k
Rest is the same.

For phase-2,
get following :
Benq G2420HD @ 10k
MSI HD 7970 lightning @ 33k
Noctua NH-D14 @ 5k

OP
CentaurDream

CentaurDream

Broken In
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77 V @ 16k
Processor - Core i5 3570k @ 16k
PSU- Corsair HX650 @ 7k
Cabinet- Corsair Carbide 500r @ 6k
Rest is the same.

For phase-2,
get following :
Benq G2420HD @ 10k
MSI HD 7970 lightning @ 33k
Noctua NH-D14 @ 5k

I don't like the looks of the Noctua NH-D14..But i have heard it is a great performer..Confused :|
Leaning towards the H60..

Also, why not Seasonic S12II 620 Watts?

About graphics, more likely a gtx 670..

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
First of all, Corsair has a great service in India. And at this budget, it is better to get a modular psu for less cable clutter.

H60 is an entry-level liquid cooler so a high end air cooler is better. Since you are not demanding too high clocks, even a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo will do the job.

Read third post on this page : corsair-cwch60-or-noctua-nh-d14

pearleye

Right off the assembly line
change

motherbord to asrock z77extreme6 12000rs

graphic card to gtx 670 29000rs

monitor to benq gw2450hm 12000rs

ssd to 120gb corsair force 3 its just 5990rs

hdd to wd caviar green 2tb 6000rs

cabinet corsair 400rs is good but nzxt phantom 410 for 6000rs is better bang for buck!!

all prices... ctc hyderabad....u will get it cheaper in mumbai or Bangalore

You can get the Asus gtx 670 DC2T card for 25 K in Bangalore SP road !!!

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
2600K is not gonna do it, as i want an Ivy. And 3770K costs 5k extra. Is it really worth it for me? I don't think so. Please give your input on this..
About the cooler, why can't i wait for a couple of months?

1. Want IB? Get i5-3570K then. Getting 3770K at this point of time over 2600K is complete waste of money.
2. You can't run any unocked processor with Intel stock crappy heatsink. You will need to buy aftermarket cooler with the processor.

So can i fit the H60 in Phantom 410 properly?
I have no idea about water cooling..:lol:

Going with H60 isn't a good idea as it is not that good.

Many reasons.
1. Native PCIe 3.0, 2. native USB 3.0, better core performance, better power efficiency..
3. Downside is heat dissipation,because Intel cheaped out on the TIM.
4. And Haswell is coming soon,so i don't want to be back by two generations :)

I don't like to waste time & energy here if you already made up your mind of buying IB, but some counter points:
1. PCI-E3.0 is marketing tactic. There is nothing in it and not even GTX680 can utilize the total bandwidth of PCI-E2.0. So what is the need of PCI-E3.0? selling new boards.
2. According to all the benchmarks, native USB3 runs a little slower than the Asmedia USB3 present in Asus boards.
3. 'heat dissipation'? Do you know that IB runs hotter than SB processor? And that's why the safe OC'ing limit for IB processor is 4.6GHz and the max limit against WC is 4.8GHz whereas SB can go to 5.2 and even 5.4, due to low heat generation.
4. No it isn't. True haswell is the technology with DDR4, of which nobody have any idea.

And good luck with your purchase. :)

OP
CentaurDream

CentaurDream

Broken In
1. Want IB? Get i5-3570K then. Getting 3770K at this point of time over 2600K is complete waste of money.
2. You can't run any unocked processor with Intel stock crappy heatsink. You will need to buy aftermarket cooler with the processor.

Going with H60 isn't a good idea as it is not that good.

I don't like to waste time & energy here if you already made up your mind of buying IB, but some counter points:
1. PCI-E3.0 is marketing tactic. There is nothing in it and not even GTX680 can utilize the total bandwidth of PCI-E2.0. So what is the need of PCI-E3.0? selling new boards.
2. According to all the benchmarks, native USB3 runs a little slower than the Asmedia USB3 present in Asus boards.
3. 'heat dissipation'? Do you know that IB runs hotter than SB processor? And that's why the safe OC'ing limit for IB processor is 4.6GHz and the max limit against WC is 4.8GHz whereas SB can go to 5.2 and even 5.4, due to low heat generation.
4. No it isn't. True haswell is the technology with DDR4, of which nobody have any idea.

And good luck with your purchase. :)

Thank you :)

I believe you should do what makes you happy. And buying a Sandy when Ivy is out there wouldn't make me happy. That is reason enough for me to go to Ivy..
Actually i had seriously considered SB initially. After a lot of thinking i made up my mind on Ivy. So it is difficult to change it at this point of time. Only thing i am considering is if i should get a 3770K ( Pretty much made up my mind on the 3570K though )
And yes i know IB runs hotter than SB. But as per most of the reviews and comments i have seen, it is not because SB generates less heat, but because IB can not dissipate the heat generated efficiently, because it is a 22 nm chip and also it has cheap TIM..

About the cooler, i AM getting a cooler along with the cpu and mobo. And i decided to do that only after seeing your post earlier. So do not think it is a waste of time & energy. I am new to this, and i will consider everything you will suggest.

akky89

Journeyman

I believe you should do what makes you happy. And buying a Sandy when Ivy is out there wouldn't make me happy. That is reason enough for me to go to Ivy..
Actually i had seriously considered SB initially. After a lot of thinking i made up my mind on Ivy. So it is difficult to change it at this point of time. Only thing i am considering is if i should get a 3770K ( Pretty much made up my mind on the 3570K though )
And yes i know IB runs hotter than SB. But as per most of the reviews and comments i have seen, it is not because SB generates less heat, but because IB can not dissipate the heat generated efficiently, because it is a 22 nm chip and also it has cheap TIM..

About the cooler, i AM getting a cooler along with the cpu and mobo. And i decided to do that only after seeing your post earlier. So do not think it is a waste of time & energy. I am new to this, and i will consider everything you will suggest.

if your system is mainly for gaming ...
then 3570K is enough for you... cause games cannot utilize even 3 cores now a days so quard core will be enough...
but if you are going to use heavy image and video editing or conversion then go with 3770k cause then you can enjoy HT....
and if you are only going to overclock @4.2Ghz ivy bridge is better choice...
cause at this point cpu won't yield that much heat and will give performance of 4.4-4.5GHz SB cause IB is a little faster per clock then SB due to die shrink...
and for cooler you can have cm hyper 212 evo (i'm using it and currently running my cpu @ 4.2 stable )

best of luck for the rig...
happy gaming...

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Current price of i5-3570K is 14.2K and i7-3770K is of 21.5K.
Unless you are willing to wait for the some time and see if any kind of price cut happens or not, I think it is better to go for 3570K as 3770K price of is too much high for a normal i7.

But if you can manage to squeeze 3770K into your budget, then why not?

OP
CentaurDream

CentaurDream

Broken In
What are the advantages of going to X79 platform?

Something like this may be-
Intel 3.6 GHz LGA 2011 Core i7 3820 Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

Well here is Passmark benchmark-
PassMark CPU Lookup

Looks like the 3770K may actually be worth it :)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
What are the advantages of going to X79 platform?

Something like this may be-
Intel 3.6 GHz LGA 2011 Core i7 3820 Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

Well here is Passmark benchmark-
PassMark CPU Lookup

Looks like the 3770K may actually be worth it :)

3820 is locked processor.
And GA-X79-UD3 in low end lga2011 board.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Only by changing the baseclock or BCLK, which is around 100 MHz by default, which can't be increased much (even turbo boost will reach that clocks by default). Since multiplier is locked, so no higher overclocking. Stick to 3570k or 3770k or get 2600k. Don't think about SB-E proccys like 3820 or 3960x, because they are for workstation purposes and games don't utilize 6 cores. Ivy or sandybridge is enough for gaming.

OP
CentaurDream

CentaurDream

Broken In
Only by changing the baseclock or BCLK, which is around 100 MHz by default, which can't be increased much (even turbo boost will reach that clocks by default). Since multiplier is locked, so no higher overclocking. Stick to 3570k or 3770k or get 2600k. Don't think about SB-E proccys like 3820 or 3960x, because they are for workstation purposes and games don't utilize 6 cores. Ivy or sandybridge is enough for gaming.

Most likely getting a 3770K.
But research is still going on about the Cooler and PSU.

Hey folks..
I am thinking of going for this PSU-

Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-850KM 850 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

or this
Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-760KM 760 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

I liked the Seasonic s12ii 620 watts psu, but it is not modular. And after browsing around the net, i thought i want modular too.
But modular 600 watts PSUs do not come in less than 7K, as far as i have seen.
Now i thought, i may want to go for SLI, a couple of years down the line..And if i am gonna pay 7K for 600W, why not pay 10K and get a 760 or 850 gold rated PSU, and i am ready for SLI too..

Now there are 2 options for me.
1. Go for s12ii 620W
2. Go for one of the above mentioned units

I need suggestions here..

acewin

Point Blanc
well certainly if you have got it covered it is good investment.

rated efficiency is 90+

I think even 660W will do even with all OC and crossfire

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
I'll advise getting corsair hx750 because has nice service available in most of major cities. Quality wise both are equal because hx series of corsair is manufactured by seasonic only. Check about seasonic's service in your city. If its available, then go with seasonic happily.

OP
CentaurDream

CentaurDream

Broken In
So you basically think i should go with option 2, right?

Will a 750W or 760W unit be enough to run a dual GTX 670 setup? I know it will be enough, but is it more than sufficient or do i need 850W?

Also,
Seasonic X-
Gold rated
5 year warranty

Corsair HX-
Silver rated
7 year warranty

acewin

Point Blanc
Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-660KM 660 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

and yeah corsair HX750 is better choice, I do not know the series names that is why could not tell exactly. I knew there was corsair modular PSU priced less which one was it putting the link as conQueror suggested
Corsair CMPSU-750HXUK 750 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

it should,

Top Bottom