Need Career Guidance as a Game Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@Jithin, reading ur post it seems, its all about experienced persons.
What about freshers? Doesn't the gaming industry need fresher?

If yes, how do they recruit? campus or online adv. ?
I don't think any gaming industry in India goes for campus :rolleyes:
Do they go abroad?

What about testers scope in ur field?
Which all kind of testing u guys carry out?
Do u use any tools for that?

tarun321

Right off the assembly line
Careers in Gaming

A key factor restricting the growth of animation and gaming in India is the scarcity of skilled professionals. Come to the Careers in Gaming Track at IGDS 2010 (www.gamedevelopersummit.com) to learn about facets such as What type of education you need to land that job? What type of portfolio you should put together? How do you make contacts and network from the Global Game Development community? What are standard hiring practices? You will also hear the various Gaming companies on the plans and methods they are adopting to attract and motivate individual talents, as well as strategies employed in game development and /or operation studios. Find out more about how to participate at India Game Developer Summit 2010 to be held on Saturday, February 27th in Bangalore at www.gamedevelopersummit.com. The summit is endorsed by IGDA (International Game Developer Association): *www.igda.org/. Companies participating in this conference include Adobe, Ubisoft, Gameshastra, HP, Tata and others.

jithin.rao

Broken In
@Jithin, reading ur post it seems, its all about experienced persons.
What about freshers? Doesn't the gaming industry need fresher?

If yes, how do they recruit? campus or online adv. ?
I don't think any gaming industry in India goes for campus :rolleyes:
Do they go abroad?

What about testers scope in ur field?
Which all kind of testing u guys carry out?
Do u use any tools for that?

See, that's the point most of people mis-understand, what i mean by experience is not working in a BRAND company. Game Industry needs good resources that can make impossible entertainment software, whether fresher or experience.

For a Game Development company FRESHER means -> No Industrial Experience, NOT, no game development experience. And Game Development experience is not Industrial experience ONLY! It can be hobbyist too, thats how you prove your passion for game development.

That's the part you need to prove with your portfolio and demo skills. Freshers do get a break! Gameloft Pune had a campus recruitment 3 years back, you may ask some of the older people from gameloft pune (currently Ubisoft Pune). Hope it answers for the question of whether freshers or not, to be precise, its a YES for freshers who have game development experience.

Do they go abroad? I didn't get you. For service based companies they PROVIDE services outside the country and for that they go on-site, but if the game is developed here why to go outside? Come on? If you are that caliber you may be send, like for training and stuffs like that, yes we did have a couple like that. This question seems to be more like a, you know, " I want to earn DOLLARS!" attitude, well, if you have proven skills you will hired anywhere around the globe. But you need to have the SKILLS that are really required and usually cross country recruitment skill set is pretty HIGH!

On testing, its pure old fashioned manual white box testing, because each game is different and it can't be generalized. So the testers get the design doc and they start from 1 to n, make sure all the rules are in place and no text is wrong grammatically or out of box, multiplayer is good with extreme intense and stress tests too, thats a HELL of a job. It's not at all easy to be a tester, patience and very good communication is a MUST!

Careers in Gaming

A key factor restricting the growth of animation and gaming in India is the scarcity of skilled professionals. Come to the Careers in Gaming Track at IGDS 2010 (www.gamedevelopersummit.com) to learn about facets such as What type of education you need to land that job? What type of portfolio you should put together? How do you make contacts and network from the Global Game Development community? What are standard hiring practices? You will also hear the various Gaming companies on the plans and methods they are adopting to attract and motivate individual talents, as well as strategies employed in game development and /or operation studios. Find out more about how to participate at India Game Developer Summit 2010 to be held on Saturday, February 27th in Bangalore at www.gamedevelopersummit.com. The summit is endorsed by IGDA (International Game Developer Association): *www.igda.org/. Companies participating in this conference include Adobe, Ubisoft, Gameshastra, HP, Tata and others.
Thanks for that quote, it from the upcoming exhibition in Bangalore this Feb, hopefully I will be there. Very true, there aren't skilled people in India much to expand it, nor does the people try to improve it too. SO these kind of meetups can motivate and share ideas which can, you know, motivate and educate people more.

^ is it spam???
I don't think so, someone just tried to spread the news!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Do they go abroad? I didn't get you. For service based companies they PROVIDE services outside the country and for that they go on-site, but if the game is developed here why to go outside? Come on? If you are that caliber you may be send, like for training and stuffs like that, yes we did have a couple like that. This question seems to be more like a, you know, " I want to earn DOLLARS!" attitude, well, if you have proven skills you will hired anywhere around the globe. But you need to have the SKILLS that are really required and usually cross country recruitment skill set is pretty HIGH!

Sry, but I wanted to ask "do" they do (as if campus recruitment) abroad but spelling mistake made it "go" :-D

And, abroad is a question na?? :twisted:

jithin.rao

Broken In
Sry, but I wanted to ask "do" they do (as if campus recruitment) abroad but spelling mistake made it "go" :-D

And, abroad is a question na?? :twisted:

AHHA so your question is "there are campus recruitment in abroad why not here" right? If that's your question, Digipen is one institute which produces one among the finest game developers, there is no Digipen yet in India. More over Digipen also follows the basics of making the students do a lot of projects and portfolios and demo reels that makes the companies convince on the talent (thats his game development experience outside the industry circle). Usually campus recruits in abroad are from Game Edu Universities itself (mostly).

Of course with a good institute comes a good portfolio of your works, that provides an edge but in India I haven't yet seen any. May be they are growing but as of now nope. So we can't wait till the institutes come here, either we go there to study and make our portfolio and attempts there or make it here in the good old fashioned way, the hard way!

Trust me, people with passion and determination will find their way without an institute's help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom