Need BIKE Recommendation

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a bike. I'm choosing to buy it using EMI. I can pay upto 20k in advance. My preffred model is Pulsar 220/200 or (any CC bike from Pulsar series). I'm a novice in bike riding. Is this bike suits my need since I'm just a beginner. Many of friends are asking me not to buy the 220 variant since they're saying I'm not that much physically strong-enough(I'm a 5.8 footer and weighing about 60kgs, lean/slim, AND not a GYM goer) to handle this kind of heavy bike. But, I'm curious and ready to handle. Any feedback from a Pulsar user?

If you guys are not recommending Pulsar then which one would be best for me? I do not need recommendation for bikes costing over 1 Lakh.

What is your budget?
- upto 1 lakh.

Your height & body build (lean/medium/heavy).
- Height: 5'.8" , Build:LEAN/SLIM

Looking for 100cc or 125cc or 150cc or >200cc?
- 150 cc to 220 cc

How many KMs do you travel everyday?
- I will travel around 50 kms during weekdays, and 100 kms during weekends.

How do you intend to travel most of the times- Alone or with pillion?
- Mostly Alone (Sometimes a colleague might join me. ;) )

Looking for Naked/Semi faired or faired bikes?
-

Do you have preference to a certain brand or interested in any specific bike?
- Pulsar series

What do you want most out of your bike? (Mileage/Power).
- Pickup, Power.

Your place of stay and where you intend to buy it.
- Coimbatore.

What bikes have you owned in the past?
- None. This is my first bike.

How long do you intend to keep the bike?
- 5 yrs

Last edited:

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
since your are a novice in bike driving, i'd suggest you to postpone buuying a new bike and make do with a friend's or a 2nd hand bike.

first get familiar with gear shifting... you should know by second nature when to shift to which gear. since you will be wrong shifting while learning, it may risk breaking the gears. thats why better learn with a old bike.

also, when you are familiar with shifting techniques, go out into heavy traffic where you'll need all the presence of mind.

:)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Come to Hyderabad.. You will know what traffic sense is all about. Being in traffic is one thing, fighting for the space in traffic is another thing.

i was in Hyd for 3 months. the traffic volume was high, i concur, but it was much much more tamer.

in Pune the drivers dont know what traffic rules are. and the cops are meek spectators.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
i was in Hyd for 3 months. the traffic volume was high, i concur, but it was much much more tamer.

in Pune the drivers dont know what traffic rules are. and the cops are meek spectators.

The roads are pretty wide in hyderabad. But the people who drive has zero traffic sense. I am very happy with the people here in bangalore. Atleast the people driving a car or any four wheeler or higher knows not to block the opposite lanes by driving though them unlike in Hyderabad

ashs1

Padawan
If you're comfortable driving bikes, you shouldn't have any problems with pulsar 220. tbh, the pulsar 220 is a good maneuverable bike..apart from the first 2-3 days, you should be able to do just fine.

NOw coming to 200 NS:

Which style do you prefer ?? Naked or faired ?

Performance wise the pulsar 200 NS trumps the 220 in every aspect..the 200 NS is just much better, meaner & faster than the 220.
The only field where the 220 is marginally better is the mileage section.
Otherwise, between the two, 200NS is much smarter choice.

Unless, you need a semi-faired bike (220), there's no reason why should skip the Pulsar 200 NS.

Get test drives of both the bikes & try driving them in small lanes or semi-crowded areas to get an idea whether you can handle them both or not. :)

sakthibruce

Broken In
I recommend rtr 160 or 180. Pulasr 200is k but mileage is less . whatever u buy don't go above 4rpm for first 5k kilometres and don't use synthetic oil.

OP
R

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
If you're comfortable driving bikes, you shouldn't have any problems with pulsar 220. tbh, the pulsar 220 is a good maneuverable bike..apart from the first 2-3 days, you should be able to do just fine.

NOw coming to 200 NS:

Which style do you prefer ?? Naked or faired ?

Performance wise the pulsar 200 NS trumps the 220 in every aspect..the 200 NS is just much better, meaner & faster than the 220.
The only field where the 220 is marginally better is the mileage section.
Otherwise, between the two, 200NS is much smarter choice.

Unless, you need a semi-faired bike (220), there's no reason why should skip the Pulsar 200 NS.

Get test drives of both the bikes & try driving them in small lanes or semi-crowded areas to get an idea whether you can handle them both or not. :)

Dude, I'm driving Hero and TVS bikes very comfortably. I've got a license. How much mileage Pulsar 200 ns and 220 produce?

nickzcool

Broken In
Dude, I'm driving Hero and TVS bikes very comfortably. I've got a license. How much mileage Pulsar 200 ns and 220 produce?

Pulsar 200 ns is a good pick but milage is around 40 . My friend owns a 200ns it is really peppy n hard to handle in high speeds despite of both disk breaking. Bajaj will soon launching a successor more than the current displacement decision is yours . I personally like enfield more durable and sturdy and comfortable. In sports category I like yamaha bikes . Decision is urs .

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
If you intend to have the bike for 5 years, rule out TVS.
Pulsar 220 is not too high for you, but it may be a bit big for your shoulders (You said your are lean).

What ever you choose, get one with non racing ride posture. I suggest you go for 125 cc bikes which have a better balance between performance and fuel consumption. A fifth gear will help you get better mileage on long drives.

ashs1

Padawan

The 200 NS produces around 35-38 kmpl under normal conditions while the 220 produces around 40-42 kmpl. :)
like i said previously, its only marginally better.

Handling mostly depends on your end.. afaik, both 200NS & 220 are highly stable at high speeds .( i had no problems in handling both bikes at around 100-105 kmph)

If you want more mileage, the better option would be to wait for :

1. The New Pulsar 150 NS - This bike is heavily similar to the pulsar 200 NS in styling department. Ride dynamics will be upgraded & the Engine will tuned up for more power just like the 200. Mileage should be more than 45-48 kmpl ( expected ). However, bajaj is very quiet about its launching date. :( it was earlier expected that it may launch the 150 NS at the end of Q2, but it now looks like it may be delayed to end of Q3. :(

2. The new Suzuki Gixxer 155C - This bike WILL launch at june-july end & is one of the awaited bikes of 2014. It has a all new 150 engine ( not from GS150R) & fine-tuned for boosted performance with decent mileage.
This will be the Suzuki flagship model in india & will compete against FZ, Dazzler, P150, RTR160... If possible, wait for this bike to launch. :)
*1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.motoroids.com/motoroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Suzuki-Gixxer-155cc-motorcycle-india.jpg,Mce_.Bjzfx4an4d.jpg.pagespeed.ce.Bjzfx4an4d.jpg

3. TVS Apache RTR160- One of the most robust bikes out there. Performance is good & mileage is also good. The only problem most people have, is with the Company's name & reliability - TVS.

OP
R

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
The 200 NS produces around 35-38 kmpl under normal conditions while the 220 produces around 40-42 kmpl. :)
like i said previously, its only marginally better.

Handling mostly depends on your end.. afaik, both 200NS & 220 are highly stable at high speeds .( i had no problems in handling both bikes at around 100-105 kmph)

If you want more mileage, the better option would be to wait for :

1. The New Pulsar 150 NS - This bike is heavily similar to the pulsar 200 NS in styling department. Ride dynamics will be upgraded & the Engine will tuned up for more power just like the 200. Mileage should be more than 45-48 kmpl ( expected ). However, bajaj is very quiet about its launching date. :( it was earlier expected that it may launch the 150 NS at the end of Q2, but it now looks like it may be delayed to end of Q3. :(

2. The new Suzuki Gixxer 155C - This bike WILL launch at june-july end & is one of the awaited bikes of 2014. It has a all new 150 engine ( not from GS150R) & fine-tuned for boosted performance with decent mileage.
This will be the Suzuki flagship model in india & will compete against FZ, Dazzler, P150, RTR160... If possible, wait for this bike to launch. :)
*1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.motoroids.com/motoroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Suzuki-Gixxer-155cc-motorcycle-india.jpg,Mce_.Bjzfx4an4d.jpg.pagespeed.ce.Bjzfx4an4d.jpg

3. TVS Apache RTR160- One of the most robust bikes out there. Performance is good & mileage is also good. The only problem most people have, is with the Company's name & reliability - TVS.

thanks a lot, for your valuable suggestions, ash1. :)

Do you think Suzuki Gixxer will be that much awesome? Can you tell me more.abt it?

nickzcool

Broken In

It jumps to 60 in less than 4 seconds and 100 in 10 seconds and its top speed is about 150 kmpl so I don't think u can ride a bike with 23 horse power at slow speed . You need good biking skills to control that bike at the right time

Top Bottom