Need Bike Advice

Gollum

Collector
After Riding the same bike for the past 14 years its finally time to get a new One.

Some background:
I have driven many bikes which do not include any bike more than 150CC
I don't like cruisers and naked bikes
I am/was a cyclist so riding posture is not an issue with me. (read R15v2 and KTM RC)

Usage requirements: Weekend rides (not long ones), Need power to overtake and keep up with the traffic, Especially Inclines.

Options that I am considering

Yamaha R15
Yamaha R3 - need loan
Honda CBR 250R - need loan
KTM RC 200 - need loan

I have never driven the KTM bikes or Honda 250

But I have driven R15 a lot.

Breakdown:
R15
- I am getting this second Hand for 85k from a friend of mine. Special Edition, 3yr, 20k kms, single owner, never dropped.
The engine is nice and has good amount of power.
Build quality is nice and the bike feels fat.
Many people say its not comfortable. I feel its only uncomfortable when driven too slow.

R3
Well no idea really, it looks nice in photos and the reviews/videos make is look really desirable.
Very expensive

CBR250R
I like that the bike is quite fat with thick tyres
Single cylinder=vibrations
People say that the build quality is not that great. I don't know that they are talking about. The bike seems sturdy enough.
I sat on it once when it was parked at the office. It felt quite confortable.

KTMRC 200
I don't like its sound.
It sounds like a moped.
My friend says that it has mad acceleration
It is slightly more uncomfortable than R15
I like the styling and matte finish.

Please share your suggestions and opinions. :)

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
You didn't say - What is your Requirements though ? - City Commute @ Dense Traffic / Highway Commute / Pure Touring / Race Track @ Cornering.

None of Bike you mentioned suitable for City Commute during pick hours - They all getting uncomfortable at those situation.

I will suggest Honda CBR250R with ABS but that will be biased suggestion due to own one (STD Version) for past 5 Years.

Anyhow if you want Trouble Free Ownership Go For Honda...

KTM got some issues so a well equipped SVC must be nearby...

R3 is new and equipped with Slipper Clutch (as I heard) which Got it's own advantage / disadvantage plus replacement is expensive.

And R15 - you know about it all....

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
You didn't say - What is your Requirements though ? - City Commute @ Dense Traffic / Highway Commute / Pure Touring / Race Track @ Cornering.

None of Bike you mentioned suitable for City Commute during pick hours - They all getting uncomfortable at those situation.

I will suggest Honda CBR250R with ABS but that will be biased suggestion due to own one (STD Version) for past 5 Years.

Anyhow if you want Trouble Free Ownership Go For Honda...

KTM got some issues so a well equipped SVC must be nearby...

R3 is new and equipped with Slipper Clutch (as I heard) which Got it's own advantage / disadvantage plus replacement is expensive.

And R15 - you know about it all....

Well I live in bangalore which means traffic but I will not be using the BIKE for daily use.
It would be semi touring/short distance runs/ Highway commute.

I am planning to keep my splendor for traffic as it is light and easy to maneuver .

KTM RC 390 has slipper clutch and so does the ninja but I am not a racer.

I do like CBR but its getting kind of old now but I like the new color schemes.

R15 is the cheapest option for me but none of my friends like it. Even my friend who bought one last year does not like it as much and is considering to buy Hyosung Aquilla.

- - - Updated - - -

Get a small car in installments.
Mate, I don't like cars.
My whole family is behind me to get a car like I am someone that can not afford a car and neither do I have place to keep a car.
I have to take permission from my landlord for keeping 2 bikes or sell the old bike.

$hadow

Geek in making
Take my words from a friends perspective
If you have to put in a loan in getting a bike it is actually a lot to ask. I personally never favor taking loan coz if I can't afford something I won't buy it and look for the option which I can buy without any hassle or anything. So I would prefer you looking in to R15 or even Pulsar200 and please do not take my words otherwise.

.jRay.

Youngling
R15 is a good touring bike. My friends have been on long runs on that bike and yamaha build is extremely reliable. RC200 is also good but considering it is out of your budget i suggest the R15

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
Take my words from a friends perspective
If you have to put in a loan in getting a bike it is actually a lot to ask. I personally never favor taking loan coz if I can't afford something I won't buy it and look for the option which I can buy without any hassle or anything. So I would prefer you looking in to R15 or even Pulsar200 and please do not take my words otherwise.

I hear you mate. If I save enough I can buy R15 New after 2 months from now. as I have saved up 1L already.
I was really hoping for a new bike as this will be my first bike from my own money and not my parents.

R15 is a good touring bike. My friends have been on long runs on that bike and yamaha build is extremely reliable. RC200 is also good but considering it is out of your budget i suggest the R15

My friend once went on a long ride to a place called ambur from Bangalore.
His 1 month old R15 died in the middle of the road due to a faulty kill switch relay.
Poor guy had to find a tow truck on a sunday night to come back.
His was a one off event but I'm just saying. There are many a people who can swear by the name of Yamaha's reliability.
I guess same goes for honda.

$hadow

Geek in making
Bad times can come to any bike. I am not a big fan of R15 but the fact that you can buy it without loan is a big plus from my point of view.

ashs1

Padawan
Among your choices, its a no brainer that the newly launched Yamaha r3 is definitely the best performer... The initial reviews have been very positive...to be honest, based on the price, it can't be compared with the other listed ones due to the huge difference( twice the price!!)..I'd suggest KTM rc390 but as you have pointed out, the noise is not appealing...if you can wait a bit, full detailed reviews of Yamaha r3 will be out in a month or so...Honda was also planning to launch cbr300r, but there is no confirmation as of now( might release in November)..
If waiting is not an option, go with the old but trusted Honda cbr250r..
Ninja 300 is also an option.( expensive one though).

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
Bad times can come to any bike. I am not a big fan of R15 but the fact that you can buy it without loan is a big plus from my point of view.
I feel the same too, but I am afraid I may be making a hasty decision.
Among your choices, its a no brainer that the newly launched Yamaha r3 is definitely the best performer... The initial reviews have been very positive...to be honest, based on the price, it can't be compared with the other listed ones due to the huge difference( twice the price!!)..I'd suggest KTM rc390 but as you have pointed out, the noise is not appealing...if you can wait a bit, full detailed reviews of Yamaha r3 will be out in a month or so...Honda was also planning to launch cbr300r, but there is no confirmation as of now( might release in November)..
If waiting is not an option, go with the old but trusted Honda cbr250r..
Ninja 300 is also an option.( expensive one though).
I have also read many reviews of the R3 but as you said, its Expensive.
And as shadow said, I am asking for too much when I have to get a loan for a bike.

But I question to myself, is this my last bike? Who knows? Life is short. Live now or grow old and struggle to get off the chair.
ThunderBird , ftw! [MENTION=148045]anirbandd[/MENTION]

I am not talking about cycles :p

Hrishi

I feel the same too, but I am afraid I may be making a hasty decision.

I have also read many reviews of the R3 but as you said, its Expensive.
And as shadow said, I am asking for too much when I have to get a loan for a bike.

But I question to myself, is this my last bike? Who knows? Life is short. Live now or grow old and struggle to get off the chair.

I am not talking about cycles :p
Wut....really ? It's Royal Enfield Thunderbird.

.jRay.

Youngling
Dude. Just test ride the R15 or RC200. Both of them are great bikes. RC200 is a track focussed machine and is essentially better than R15 at what it does but its almost twice your budget, hence i dindnt suggest it. Just test ride some bikes and im sure you will find out which one is right for you.

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
Dude. Just test ride the R15 or RC200. Both of them are great bikes. RC200 is a track focussed machine and is essentially better than R15 at what it does but its almost twice your budget, hence i dindnt suggest it. Just test ride some bikes and im sure you will find out which one is right for you.

You are right, I have not driven the rc200.

Frankly speaking I wont mind the sound when I drive it. Know what, every time a KTM is near, I know it just by the sound.
The only other bike that does that is a Royal Enfield or a Harley Davidson.

Mean while I am still happy with my pulsar 180

see that's what I am talking about. Some people are happy with what they have. I get that.

But me, I've been happy. Happy for the past 14years riding the same old splendor. Would you be happy for that long?

.jRay.

Youngling
You are right, I have not driven the rc200.

Frankly speaking I wont mind the sound when I drive it. Know what, every time a KTM is near, I know it just by the sound.
The only other bike that does that is a Royal Enfield or a Harley Davidson.

Exactly, the sound isn't bad, i kinda like it, it grows on you. The first time i heard it i was like meh, but now i like it

kaz

right here
R15 is a great built bike, but as far I have read it's a track focused bike with a very aggressive riding position which makes it a poor bike when you are planning to do long tours and even in the traffic it will put lots of pressure on your wrist and back.

So basically, except for riding posture R15 has everything to impress me the looks, built, power and mileage. Don't you think it missed out on the most important thing?

The RC/Duke 390 uses Metzeler tires, which costs 21k a pair which needs to be changed after every 20kms or so... can do beyond if one rides a 390CC bike like a 100CC :p Also the Synthetic Engine oil costs 2x the normal engine oil. The mileage of a 390CC bike is also something which I can't afford even after one year :p But now that you will be using your Splendor for city riding you can consider getting the RC/Duke 390.

Now comes CBR which is good for the city as well as the highways. And I think you can't go wrong with a Honda.

RS200 is also a good bike which has optional ABS but that design is too much.

When it comes to riding comfort the best bike is RE (read Uncle's bike :p ), next comes CBR250 and the Karizma..

One thing I wont suggest is buying a 250CC+ bike for mostly city ride because that makes no sense to me and all other with limited money in their bank account.

Top Bottom