Need Bare Minimum PC for Programming Stuff [Budget - 12k-15K]

kasshav

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Just Programming stuff. Applications I will be running are Netbeans, Eclipse, PHP, Apache, MySQL Server, Firefox, Chrome, Safari

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 12k-15k INR

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu/Linux Mint

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: If 160 Gb costs less then I will go for it otherwise 320 Gb is enough.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, 17" LED preferable

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: UPS, Headphones, Optical Drive

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Immediately

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will assemble myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chandigarh

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I am tight on budget constraints. So please keep it as low it is possible to keep.
I don't want any GPU or other stuff. Just need it for bare minimum programming.
Not a fanboy of Intel or AMD and will go whichever seems cheaper.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Your budget is little low to get a full PC configuration for the applications specified. Can you stretch it to 20K?

theproffesor

saze017 here...quite a go
you want a full pc in 15k...
monitor hi 4500 ka aaega? 10.5k m sirf Pentium g630@3k
asus p8h61mlx@2.5k
4gb adata 1333mhz@900rs.
cheap chassy@900rs with smps/psu
200rs. kb/mouse local wala
hdd:320gb 2.3k...not sure
optical drive 600rs. koi si bhi

Naxal

Little Kid
#ComponentModelPriceComment/Link
1ProcessorIntel Pentium G645 (Dual Core)Rs. 3500/-
2MotherboardIntel DH61HORs. 3000/-
3RAMG.Skill / Corsair value Series 4GB DDR-III 1333 MHzRs. 1100/-
4HDDWD / Toshiba 320 GBRs. 2700/-
5Optical DriveLG DVD RWRs. 800/-
6Cabinet + PSUiBallRs. 1500/-
7MonitorLCD / TFT 18.5"/19"Rs. 5000/-
8Keyboard + MouseLogitech ComboRs. 650
9TotalIf purchased from locally (10/15% more if from online :p)Rs. 18k/19k

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
I know guys it is much low but I need this system for one of my student. And this budget constraint is what he is able to spend.
And one more thing I forgot to mention that I don't need any optical drive since I already have an external one.

@Naxal
I searched on flipkart and here is one processor I found out:
*www.flipkart.com/amd-3-2-ghz-am3-athlon-ii-260-processor/p/itmd2rysfvdk8gsg?pid=PSRD2RYRQSSUJVDJ&ref=ff7cd9e6-fc2f-4ca0-894c-6c580974e607
And here is a compatible motherboard for it:
*www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-ga-78lmt-s2pt-motherboard/p/itmd8k55hgpbdv5x?pid=MBDD8K55TVZ3VBZR&ref=dddfbb51-b987-4aac-8b01-969ac3e8025d&srno=t_1&otracker=from-search&query=GA-78LMT-S2PT

This one is cheaper than the one you mentioned.

Now if anyone of you can please tell me that following RAM is compatible with this motherboard.
*www.flipkart.com/g-skill-ripjawsx-ddr3-2-gb-1-x-gb-pc-ram-f3-12800cl9s-2gbxl/p/itmd2ryswgqewz2m?pid=RAMD2RYR6KFSA3TA&ref=2eb24ea4-bc64-45ce-9e5c-57495425a6d6
I don't have much knowledge regarding this area.

Last edited:

Naxal

Little Kid
Intel Pentium Dual Core G645 is considered to be a superior processor compared to the mentioned AMD processor. So better to stick with Intel Pentium Dual Core G645. Also warranty support is generally better for Intel products.

Now if anyone of you can please tell me that following RAM is compatible with this motherboard.
*www.flipkart.com/g-skill-ripj...c-57495425a6d6
I don't have much knowledge regarding this area.

You dont need such high performance RAM with a basic system. Chose G.Skill (same brand as above) value series 1333 MHz based 4 GB stick.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
@Naxal
Thanks mate for the quick suggestion regarding RAM and I have now decided to go with the 1333MHz one of GSkill.

Regarding suggestion for Intel, well I have seen people always saying Intel to be better than AMD and just bashing AMD. I have used AMD for almost 5 years and that too on the Sempron series. It is not that bad as the people say it is. I've managed to run Netbeans, Eclipse myself on a Sempron system and I know you don't get the hardware acceleration used by browsers these days. But still AMD is good for a start. Besides this, the system I need is for a student of mine and I am sure he will only keep it as long as he is learning. So for now I am sticking to the AMD one. If I would have gone for Intel then why the pentium then. I would have chosen i5 which would benefit for a longer time.

Naxal

Little Kid
So for now I am sticking to the AMD one.

Buy FX or A Series then.

Its not about AMD is bad, its about the AMD you have chosen has reached End of Life with its architecture and platform.

If you had a higher budget, people would have suggested FX over core i5 but in this budget, why choosing an out dated product ?

Also, if buying locally you can save few bucks like choosing ADATA as RAM @ 900 also Toshiba 250GB @ 2300 :D

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Buy FX or A Series then.

its about the AMD you have chosen has reached End of Life with its architecture and platform.

@Naxal,
Thanks for pointing out the "End of Life" thing. I will do some more search on proc. then.

Regarding RAM, well I found out the GSkill 1333MHz one @ 800 bucks on flipkart. so I think instead of AData, GSkill one would be good.

Naxal

Little Kid
Regarding RAM, well I found out the GSkill 1333MHz one @ 800 bucks on flipkart. so I think instead of AData, GSkill one would be good.

Must be 2GB Module i guess..

Dont buy 2GB, since you dont have a dedicated GPU, your system RAM will be shared with iGP and available RAM would less than 1.5GB :(

Chose a 4GB module :)

Also, please note, flipkart is way costlier than local market these days, do try to take quote from local market.

@Naxal,
Thanks for pointing out the "End of Life" thing. I will do some more search on proc. then.

Save money where it wont feel wasting the entire computer. Yes save money in HDD, in RAM but dont compromise with processor and motherboard as it goes slow and low with your apps, entire investment would feel going bad. Where as with RAM and HDD, you can always spend latter and add up.

Talking about saving money, you can always save money in buying a 15/16" display at Rs. 3800 also. Even buying ATOM dual core or Sempron with combo motherboard

But its not always saving money what one should consider. There is also value money also. Compromising in display size wont allow option later down the line to increase it without spending another huge bulk.

Better to increase that little extra budget by affording this little extra and make the system future proof for 3 years. That would be value for money, wont it ??

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
@naxal
Thanks mate for your kind assistance. I searched some more and prepared the following rig. The prices are according to Flipkart. I think I will be able to get some of the components at lower rates in my local market and be able to squeeze the total rig to upto 16k-17k.
And you are right about not compromising with Processor and motherboard. Have a look at the rig and provide your viewpoints.
Thanks

ProcessorIntel 3 GHz LGA 775 Dual Core E5700 Processor4500
MotherboardIntel DG41TY3000
RAMG.Skill NT DDR3 - F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT( 4 GB) 1200
HDDToshiba 320 GB2700
Cabinet1500
MonitorAOC 18.5 inch LED Monitor5500
Keyboard/MouseLogitech MK200 USB 2.0 Keyboard and Mouse Combo900
Total~19K

Naxal

Little Kid
And you are right about not compromising with Processor and motherboard. Have a look at the rig and provide your viewpoints.

Core 2 Duo and LGA775 has also reached its End of Life.

Refer -> ARK | Intel® Pentium® Processor E5700 (2M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

Secondly, Intel Pentium Dual Core G645 is based on latest architecture (same as core i3 or such) and way more powerful than what you have selected. Also its cheaper :p.

LGA1155 is the present socket and platform to look for in Intel segment, hence to start with I suggested the G645 (in kolkata its around Rs. 3000) and H61 based motherboard (in kolkata MSI H61 based boards are selling at Rs. 2500).

Rest as same what I mentioned.

One more thing, basic iBall combo of Rs. 550 would do the job well, save some money there :p, infact in local kolkata market, 250GB SATA is still selling at around Rs. 2300

Try this,

Intel G645
MSI H61M-P20 (G3)
4 GB DDR-III 1333 MHz (Corsair or G.Skill, even ADATA will do too :p if you find cheaper)
250GB or 320 GB HDD (if you find cheaper 250GB)
Cabinet + PSU (local, iBall)
Display AOC or such 18.5"
iBall or Microsoft basic Keyboard Mouse combo

should be around Rs. 17 in locally :)

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
@naxal
Thanks for the suggested tweaks
Here it is the final rig I have decided upon:

ProcessorIntel G645 Processor3000
MotherboardMSI H61M-P20 (G3)2500
RAMG.Skill NT DDR3 - F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT( 4 GB) 1200
HDDToshiba 320 GB2700
Cabinet1500
Keyboard/MouseLogitech MK200 USB 2.0 Keyboard and Mouse Combo900
Total~17K

TechnoHolic

Journeyman

Yes.."Get a cheaper keyboard and mouse."
Ans spend some more money on monitor..
Quality of AOC in 18.5" range is not so good if you compare with the below Models..
Buy a Samsung S20B300B 6.3k+Vat or Dell In2030M 6.2+Vat (Both 20")

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Just for the curiosity purpose:

Why can't OP go with Gigabyte combo mobo, which comes with AMD's E350 processor, which has "Integrated Radeon HD 6310 GPU" which I think would be better then Intel HD Graphics, if all he wants is a PC that could serve well for the original purpose of education?
Other contrasting difference is mere 18 Watt TDP of E350 compared to 65 Watt TDP of Intel G645 Processor owing to its low clock rate, as well as the fact that E350 cost about Rs 4100 compared to cost of G645 + mobo for Rs. 5500! :confused:

Source(s):
Intel Pentium G645 - CM8062301262601 / BX80623G645 / BXC80623G645
AMD E-Series E-350 - EME350GBB22GT

Top Bottom