Need advice to buy Nikon D5100

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Pranav, thanks a lot for the coupons. I guess my luck was bad, so nothing worked. :( but thanks a lot , really mean it.
Can you elaborate a bit more on the statement 'technically' - "I still stand by my earlier comment of the canon having better images at low light. The nikon counters with better finish. "

Youre welcome buddy. I had got mine with a 2.5k off ebay coupon ;>

What I meant was that almost every review you come across on the net lauds the Nikon 5100's ability to produces good shots at low-light conditions/High ISO's. Whereas my personal experience has been the opposite. To verify I went to dpreview and used their comparison widget, which was again pointing to 600D producing the better pics. Its not much, both are pretty noisy at ISO 3200, but its still definitely not the 5100 that produces the better pics amongst the two. Thats all.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@aadi D5200 is a compititor to 650D and both r above 30 right now...but have great specs ;)

these tech talks will go no where...it ends on handling only.. now that aadi found 600D more comfortable ...then its for him ....I found 550D very plasticky and never liked its body and grip..

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I guess this thread better be closed now that its all settled :D

Here is my go to page for camera stuff:
*www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d5200/14
The D5200 is just okay vs the D5100 or the 600D, expecially in color balance and focus accuracy. Putting the big hike in price, I find it hard to understand what in the 5200 causes a guy to write the below-

And here is a glowing review of the new D5200:
*www.eoshd.com/content/9653/nikon-d5200-review

And this is exactly why I hate online reviews that dont let you compare the images for yourself. I am now pretty confused :/

sujoyp

Grand Master
Really ??
D5200 have new 24MP sensor vs D5100 have older D7000 sensor
D5200 have expeed 3 processor vs D5100 have expeed 2
D5200 have 39AF point vs D5100 have 11
D5200 have D7000 metering system vs D5100 have same metering as D3100
D5200 have stereo mic & recording in video vs D5100 have mono
D5200 can do 60fps 1080P recording vs D5100 30fps 1080P

yaah very less difference I can see :D :D Almost all the hardware have been changed in D5200 then D5100

aadi007

Journeyman
Ok guyz,
Finally bought the canon 600D with 18-55 lens + 50 mm prime lens + Nissi UV filters from a local shop.
Clicked few portaits - results are mind-blowing. Now, I am understanding what photography means ..guess that happens with your first DSLR.
Super excited, time to read the manual. Plus I got a very nice book which explain how to take different types of photos using the 600D, more like a photography school tutorial.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.
:D :)

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Really ??
D5200 have new 24MP sensor vs D5100 have older D7000 sensor
D5200 have expeed 3 processor vs D5100 have expeed 2
D5200 have 39AF point vs D5100 have 11
D5200 have D7000 metering system vs D5100 have same metering as D3100
D5200 have stereo mic & recording in video vs D5100 have mono
D5200 can do 60fps 1080P recording vs D5100 30fps 1080P

yaah very less difference I can see :D :D Almost all the hardware have been changed in D5200 then D5100

I know a lot of the innards are very different, but look at the images it produces. All the changes mean nothing if the images are not any better.
Its clearly visible on the dpreview gadget that the focussing is actually worser on the 5200 as compared to the 5100. Check out the sharpness of the paperclips and the chess-boxes and then tell me. It doesnt matter how many of the specifications change, its the final image that counts.

@aadi: All the best :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
@aadi thats a great combo...good luck...have fun.....try new things...there is lot of things in photography which u willl learn by experience soo just keep practicing :)

@pranav u maybe right ...but then sharpness and focussing are also attribute of the lens used..and the price will get slashed as soon as d5100 production stops and D7100 is launched

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yes, agree.

What I meant was that the image quality is worser than the D5100 despite the changes in hardware using the *same* lens. And the price is about 15K more. That surely is very overpriced. If I could choose between the D5100 and the D5200 given that the price was immaterial, I'd go with D5100. Same is the case with D3100 vs D3200. The newer series is a step backwards in IQ terms. I have no idea whats going on here, it could just be some firmware issue but without doubt the stills from D5100 are better. I'm eagerly waiting to test a 5200 at some showroom myself and then decide. :|

mastervk

In the zone
Ok guyz,
Finally bought the canon 600D with 18-55 lens + 50 mm prime lens + Nissi UV filters from a local shop.
Clicked few portaits - results are mind-blowing. Now, I am understanding what photography means ..guess that happens with your first DSLR.
Super excited, time to read the manual. Plus I got a very nice book which explain how to take different types of photos using the 600D, more like a photography school tutorial.

Congrats..one suggestion dont use cheap filters..and you don't need even expensive filters for lens like 18-55 /50 mm etc..experiment and enjoy...

sujoyp

Grand Master
I would say get a cheap CPL rather then UV filter ....I have heard that cheap CPL may work fine in the range of f8-f11 ...it gives good results in landscapes

aadi007

Journeyman
Congrats..one suggestion dont use cheap filters..and you don't need even expensive filters for lens like 18-55 /50 mm etc..experiment and enjoy...

I would say get a cheap CPL rather then UV filter ....I have heard that cheap CPL may work fine in the range of f8-f11 ...it gives good results in landscapes

Guyz,
What do u mean by cheap filters? The filters I purchased are not exactly cheap :D
Is polarized filter better than a UV filter?

sujoyp

Grand Master
cheap filters means which cost under 1000 ;) and good filters cost 1000+ :D from hoya,kenko etc

CPL is used to cut the glare in pictures which have water,sky or glass..great for landscapes...UV filters just protect the front element/glass of a lens for now

mastervk

In the zone
Nearly all filters will degrades image quality..good (and expensive) lens like Hoya multi layered ones will have minimal impact on IQ.. for all practical purpose UV filter is not required for digital SLR but can be used for protecting front lens for expensive lens (like 70-200 ,400 mm etc)..
Other filters like ND,CPL etc have their uses ...
I think consumer grade lens like 18-55,55-250,50 mm etc don't need any protection.Using lens cap for protection is better.
I have Hoya filters and used them on my lens for some time but nowadays i use my lens without any filter...

sujoyp

Grand Master
yup u r right mastervk ....i never used any filter coz all lenses were consumer level costing less then 20k...no way i am spending 2-3k on filter for them...cap is ok

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
Ok guyz,

Congratulations for the purchase...
Happy clicking...
:)
Ya it happens with the first DSLR...I was also taken aback when I shot first few shots on my DSLR...Keep the excitement running...all the best...!

raja manuel

In the zone
What I meant was that almost every review you come across on the net lauds the Nikon 5100's ability to produces good shots at low-light conditions/High ISO's. Whereas my personal experience has been the opposite. To verify I went to dpreview and used their comparison widget, which was again pointing to 600D producing the better pics. Its not much, both are pretty noisy at ISO 3200, but its still definitely not the 5100 that produces the better pics amongst the two. Thats all.

There is another point that doesn't get mentioned: what difference the supposed advantage makes to those who aren't pixel peeping or making poster-sized printouts. Noise tends to disappear as you reduce the size of the image, and slight advantages don't have any real world significance for most users. Dynamic range is a trade off with contrast, and I believe the manufacturer chooses the point of trade off based on their assessment.

I would point out here that the 600D also has wireless flash support, which is worth quite a bit for those who are interested in getting creative with flash. Buttons also matter to enthusiasts, and the way they work with the menus make a lot of difference in how quickly you set up your camera to get the next shot. Now how do you set ISO on a D5100?

Top Bottom