Need advice to buy Nikon D5100

tkin

Back to school!!
Oh, if you want to know the prowess of D5100, check this guy out, he is a digit member: Flickr: Kjuvale's Photostream

I want to purchase the D5100 so bad now, also want to go to study in bonn :D

aadi007

Journeyman
Ya, it is a masterpiece to have in that range... now when I am having it, I understand why people recommend it... :)

Guyz,
After going through all online deals, I have decided to purchase from a local shop.
I am getting the D5100 with kit lens at 30000/- approx. Is this a good price? Should I close the deal?

Another dilemma - one of my colleagues who is a Canon DSLR owner for a long time with a host of lenses suggested me to get a lens with a bigger range than the kit lens.
So, D5100 with a 18-105 lens is what I am thinking about. It is costing about 41000/-.
To me, the 18-105 lens offers lot of flexibility and will enable me to use the camera in various situations without the need of changing lenses.
I think going with a kit lens means I have to purchase a zoom lens like 55-200 at least because 55 is too restrictive in my opinion.

I plan to add a 35 mm prime lens later (may be next year) but that is not relevant for this question.

Please suggest - should I go with the kit lens or spend 11000 extra and get the 18-105?????

Thanks.

tkin

Back to school!!
Guyz,
After going through all online deals, I have decided to purchase from a local shop.
I am getting the D5100 with kit lens at 30000/- approx. Is this a good price? Should I close the deal?

Another dilemma - one of my colleagues who is a Canon DSLR owner for a long time with a host of lenses suggested me to get a lens with a bigger range than the kit lens.
So, D5100 with a 18-105 lens is what I am thinking about. It is costing about 41000/-.
To me, the 18-105 lens offers lot of flexibility and will enable me to use the camera in various situations without the need of changing lenses.
I think going with a kit lens means I have to purchase a zoom lens like 55-200 at least because 55 is too restrictive in my opinion.

I plan to add a 35 mm prime lens later (may be next year) but that is not relevant for this question.

Please suggest - should I go with the kit lens or spend 11000 extra and get the 18-105?????

Thanks.
I'd say get the 18-105 but let the experts comment, I have no experience with a DSLR.

sujoyp

Grand Master
getting 18-105mm is good idea...it will give flexibility for sure...but still u wont come close to any bird or animal

I had 55-200 and its a good lens and at least 200mm is bit furthur away..

if u are planningg to get a 55-200,55-300,70-300 lens within next 1 year then get 18-105 else I would say save 11k and add 6k more to get 55-300mm

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
getting 18-105mm is good idea...it will give flexibility for sure...but still u wont come close to any bird or animal

Exactly...It is a mid-level lens range offering from the widest (18 mm) to little zoom (105 mm) which is good if you are not planning to buy any other lens in the near future (like me)...
Otherwise, as Sujoy said consider another lens option...

aadi007

Journeyman
okay, given your experiences, can u tell me which is a more likely scenario

1> where the 18-55 is not enough and 18-105 will be good
2> where 18-105 is not enough and u need a 55-250 or 70-300?

I am not much into birds or animals, its mostly for events, parties, and normal landscapes etc. when we go out for a holiday. In such cases, will the 18-105 provide me significant benefot over 18-55? As far as I understand, both lenses offer similar image quality

sujoyp

Grand Master
18-105 have all the advantage over 18-55 ....when using 18-55 u wont get a single bit of magnification...its like zero zoom....with 18-105 u can get good headshots,portraits,flower closeups etc

105mm is just very less zoom in terms of distance.....suppose u are shooting from 30 feet away from stage ur 105mm will not be sufficient if u want to zoom on single person u will need at least 200mm

mastervk

In the zone
From my experience with canon 55-250 and 18-55/17-50 lens i have not found kit lens restrictive for general purpose... i think 18-105 will be too short for birding etc

as you are interested in events, parties, and normal landscapes 18-55 lens is good enough ...better go to a shop and test both lens to get an idea about how much both lens cover ..

as you are getting camera with kit lens at 30000 you can buy it and latter if you feel need of zoom you can buy lens like 55-250/70-300...

aadi007

Journeyman
I think people are going to kill me for this.
Today, I went to the camera shop to purchase the D5100... I had mentioned before that sometimes I had problems with reading the stuff in the viewfinder,, and that's mainly due to my dry eyes problem.
But if I blink a bit, it goes away. I need to take some drops for this but that's another issue.
With the Nikon D5100, I was facing this problem sometimes but it was manageable.

Mainly due to this reason, I thought of giving the Canon 600D a try, and the viewfinder is much more clearer with bigger font and I never had any problem at all.
Also, I noticed that the Canon shows the exposure/histogram (not sure) in the VF, din't notice that in the Nikon.

I tried many shots with both the cameras inside the shop and to my surprise I liked the Canon photos better with better exposure, though the reviews say Nikon has better IQ.
Also, Canon wins hands down in terms of handling - lot of dedicated buttons compared to Nikon, much easier to change the settings.
I liked the grip of the Nikon better though.

So, all in all, I am making a U turn and buying the Canon 600D with the kit lens, mainly because of the viewfinder.
Point me to some good offers guys...the camera shop mentioned around 36K for the same, which is 6K more than the D5100 but what to do :(

aadi007

Journeyman
Any good deals online for the 600d?
I have to buy it in this week as I have some family event next week..

Any pointers anyone?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Aadi its always a matter of personal choice...almost all experienced guys says to try the DSLR before buying...good that u tested it

Since our forum is a technology forum we tend to give more emphasis on technology rather then grip and viewfinder etc

If u ask some nice forum to compare D300 with D5100 everyone will still say get D300 even after 5 years :)

aadi007

Journeyman
Aadi its always a matter of personal choice...almost all experienced guys says to try the DSLR before buying...good that u tested it

Since our forum is a technology forum we tend to give more emphasis on technology rather then grip and viewfinder etc

If u ask some nice forum to compare D300 with D5100 everyone will still say get D300 even after 5 years :)

So, u mean to say that D5100 is a technologically better product and I am putting emphasis on the worng things ;-)
BTW, I think the grip and viewfinder are as important as anything else. Isn't that so?
I checked the specs again online and Canon 600D indeed has a slightly bigger and better viewfinder than D5100.
One thing I am not able to understand is why is 600D priced 4-5K higher than D5100? To me, both seem to be very evenly matched and it all boiled down to personal preference.

I checked your flickr link yesterday - excellent photos. I am gonna bug you soon with lots of questions. Be ready :)
BTW, do we have any resident Canon experts in this forum?

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
DSLRs are mainly about preference. I think the D5100 and the 600D were evenly matched until a couple of months ago, on price.

I have to agree with you on the grip - my first opinion was that the Nikon had a better grip, but now that I use a 600D, i am very biased to its grip because of familiarity.
I still stand by my earlier comment of the canon having better images at low light. The nikon counters with better finish. The AF is ever so slightly better in the canon, whereas the Live mode surely better in the Nikon.

But here is the important thing. Price. At the same price I'd pick the 600D over the D5100. and so, here is an ebay link for 600d at 33k, I have a flat 8% off coupon to boot thats valid till TODAY. PM if interested :)

Canon EOS 600D SLR(Black, with Kit EF-S18-55mm IS II Lens)-Manufacturer Warranty | eBay

aadi007

Journeyman
DSLRs are mainly about preference. I think the D5100 and the 600D were evenly matched until a couple of months ago, on price.

I have to agree with you on the grip - my first opinion was that the Nikon had a better grip, but now that I use a 600D, i am very biased to its grip because of familiarity.
I still stand by my earlier comment of the canon having better images at low light. The nikon counters with better finish. The AF is ever so slightly better in the canon, whereas the Live mode surely better in the Nikon.

But here is the important thing. Price. At the same price I'd pick the 600D over the D5100. and so, here is an ebay link for 600d at 33k, I have a flat 8% off coupon to boot thats valid till TODAY. PM if interested :)

Canon EOS 600D SLR(Black, with Kit EF-S18-55mm IS II Lens)-Manufacturer Warranty | eBay

Thanks man. have PM'ed you :)
But whatever be the case, Nikon D5100 at 4-5K cheaper than Canon 600D is a better deal.
I would go with the Canon because of reasons mentioned earlier

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yep agree its a better deal at ~4k or more cheaper. But I didnt find any significant price difference when I was purchasing as it was EMI option. So got the 600D :)

Happy shooting :) :D

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@aadi ....in one hand u are saying that it have better viewfinder and better finish and on other hand u r y it cost 4k more :D in photography world there is a saying "u will get what u paid for" ;) BTW 600D was just a video improvement on 3 yrs old 550D but D5100 got new sensor.

yes ultimately D5100 and 600D fall on same segment...evenly competitive

Are you talking about my flicker link...thanks a lot :) I am always available here for most technique related queries :) BTW nowdays there r many experts here who take better pics and can help u faster ;)

aadi007

Journeyman

Pranav, thanks a lot for the coupons. I guess my luck was bad, so nothing worked. :( but thanks a lot , really mean it.
Can you elaborate a bit more on the statement 'technically' - "I still stand by my earlier comment of the canon having better images at low light. The nikon counters with better finish. "

@aadi ....in one hand u are saying that it have better viewfinder and better finish and on other hand u r y it cost 4k more :D in photography world there is a saying "u will get what u paid for" ;) BTW 600D was just a video improvement on 3 yrs old 550D but D5100 got new sensor.

yes ultimately D5100 and 600D fall on same segment...evenly competitive

Are you talking about my flicker link...thanks a lot :) I am always available here for most technique related queries :) BTW nowdays there r many experts here who take better pics and can help u faster ;)

Sujoy-da,
I was talking about your flickr link :)
Canon 600D adds a fully articulating high res LCD over 550D and some other minor tweaks.
Nikon has some features like HDR and AF in video. I think both are evenly matched.
I don't think Canon deserves any premium.

But I really don't have an option as I was not comfortable with the viewfinder on the D5100.

Recently, Nikon prices have gone down with the introduction of newer models like 3200 and 5200 but Canon is stubbornly high.

Top Bottom