Need advice to buy Nikon D5100

JaySmarty23

Broken In
Hi, this is my first post on TDF.
I want to buy Nikon D5100. I am getting a second-hand deal at Rs 30K in which I am getting 18-105mm lens.
Should I go for this deal or should I get a new one with kit lens?
Thanks in advance,
Jay
:confused:

sujoyp

Grand Master
hmm thats a very diffiicult question....the total cost of D5100+18-105 new will be 40k and he is selling u it at 30k..not bad...18-105 is a good sharp lens

Do you know the person u r buying from? ..when was it bought? shutter count? any repair or any issue?

Now the other question is when r u planning to get a saperate zoom lens...if its within 2-3 months then u can get a new D5100 and play with 18-55 for 2-3 months

if u r planing to invest in zoom lens maybe after 6 months its better to get this deal.

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
Better get a new one for 29.5k with 18-55 kit lens

But I am getting 18-105 with this one which will help me to explore more as I am an amateur.

Do you know the person u r buying from? ..when was it bought? shutter count? any repair or any issue?

Now the other question is when r u planning to get a saperate zoom lens...if its within 2-3 months then u can get a new D5100 and play with 18-55 for 2-3 months

I am going to meet him in a day or two, will ask him for shutter count. It's 11 months old. Working perfectly.
No, I have no plans to buy zoom lens in 2-3 months.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think then its a good deal...and check everything properly...specially the lens...should not have any haze,scratch or any kind of crack etc

camera lcd should be good...see through viewfinder and check the amount of dust inside the mirror etc :)

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
I think then its a good deal...and check everything properly...specially the lens...should not have any haze,scratch or any kind of crack etc

camera lcd should be good...see through viewfinder and check the amount of dust inside the mirror etc :)

Okay, thanks for suggesting that...will help me to check the camera & condition... :)
Actually, he (the seller) himself is a professional photographer so I think he would've handled it very well...

sujoyp

Grand Master
err no actually its other way round...pro photographers use there cam too much and use it roughly...amature use it less...

just check it properly :) Good luck

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
err no actually its other way round...pro photographers use there cam too much and use it roughly...amature use it less...

just check it properly :) Good luck

Ohh ya... :p

Then I will have to check thoroughly... will update you once I meet him...

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
Hey, I met with him today... checked the camera and the lens... It is a year-old camera... but it was looking quite fine...
I mean it was used with proper care... in lens also, I didn't see any major scratches... he has handled it well ( I can see that from the way he opened up the lens)
LCD is having minor hairline scratches...he is giving 4 GB memory card along with that...the lettering on the front ring of the lens was faded (because of its use)
:)
He is also having extra battery which he is giving for additional 1.5K (30K + 1.5K)...
I think it looks like a genuine deal...what do you say?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Google, "POINTS TO BE CONSIDERED WHEN BUYING USED DSLR" and find out what are the things you need to check when meeting.

You need to know shutter count.
check sensor
check lens
and there are so many.... check it before buying. If you are new to the world of dslr, take someone with you who knows about it...

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Hey, I met with him today... checked the camera and the lens... It is a year-old camera... but it was looking quite fine...
I mean it was used with proper care... in lens also, I didn't see any major scratches... he has handled it well ( I can see that from the way he opened up the lens)
LCD is having minor hairline scratches...he is giving 4 GB memory card along with that...the lettering on the front ring of the lens was faded (because of its use)
:)
He is also having extra battery which he is giving for additional 1.5K (30K + 1.5K)...
I think it looks like a genuine deal...what do you say?

you can get a new battery for 2k

have you checked the service record?

what about the lens ring ..? did you use it? many times due to usage the lens ring becomes loose / acts like there is sand inside it... check that. also ask him for a lens filter.

if you are looking to use the camera for only shooting pics, then 4gb card is fine.. else i suggest get a high speed class 10 16GB card.. so thats another 1k bucks.

the camera is 11 months old right? so there should be remaining warranty for about 13 months? nikon gives 2 year india warranty.

also there should be warranty for the lens.

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
Google, "POINTS TO BE CONSIDERED WHEN BUYING USED DSLR" and find out what are the things you need to check when meeting.

You need to know shutter count.
check sensor
check lens
and there are so many.... check it before buying. If you are new to the world of dslr, take someone with you who knows about it...

Ya I googled that before meeting him...I saw almost everything according to checklist...
Lens and sensor are not having problems...I am new to the world of DSLR, but I think I can manage to check those things...
:p

you can get a new battery for 2k
have you checked the service record?
what about the lens ring ..? did you use it? many times due to usage the lens ring becomes loose / acts like there is sand inside it... check that. also ask him for a lens filter.
if you are looking to use the camera for only shooting pics, then 4gb card is fine.. else i suggest get a high speed class 10 16GB card.. so thats another 1k bucks.
the camera is 11 months old right? so there should be remaining warranty for about 13 months? nikon gives 2 year india warranty.
also there should be warranty for the lens.

Ya, I can get new battery around 2K...but at least the package deal - Nikon D5100 with 18-105mm lens sounds good na...
No, I used the lens ring...it was working fine...the only thing was that the white lettering print on the ring has been faded because of use...
I think he is not having lens filter (that is not a deal-breaker anyway)... he is having lens hood...
Ya, I will need more memory (I will be using extensively on weekends) so I will purchase it afterwards...
The problem is with warranty - he says he has got only 1 year warranty...I don't know from which dealer he got it from...

sujoyp

Grand Master
Even after 2 years my D3100 +18-55 looks as good as new if I polish it :D dont worry DSLR and lenses dont fail like that...issues can be genuine like setup fall down...broke,repaired,dust,fungus etc...

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
Even after 2 years my D3100 +18-55 looks as good as new if I polish it :D dont worry DSLR and lenses dont fail like that...issues can be genuine like setup fall down...broke,repaired,dust,fungus etc...

Ya... :D
But it doesn't seem there is any such issue with that camera... as I said earlier - he managed it proper care... (after all, it was his bread & butter uptil now)
The only downside is warranty... he got only 1 year warranty out of which 11 months are over...

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You seems to be well informed and you have done your research on "what to look for when buying used DSLR".

Everything was satisfying in your first meeting. Ask him about the shutter count and do some test shots...

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Ya... :D
But it doesn't seem there is any such issue with that camera... as I said earlier - he managed it proper care... (after all, it was his bread & butter uptil now)
The only downside is warranty... he got only 1 year warranty out of which 11 months are over...

dude its not possible, nikon gives standard 2 year warranty. have you checked the warranty card which comes along? well if the camera was new i wouldnt have bothered but if you are buying second hand make sure that you pay for what you get. because after 1 day of use if it stops functioning you are screwed... and that cant happen only to you it can happen to anyone of us...

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If the warranty is gonna end, better assume it's a two year old camera. This combo should cost little above 40k if you're buying new. Even though you can manage to check it yourself, better take someone with you. It's better safe than sorry... :) Good luck with your purchase.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
If the warranty is gonna end, better assume it's a two year old camera. This combo should cost little above 40k if you're buying new. Even though you can manage to check it yourself, better take someone with you. It's better safe than sorry... :) Good luck with your purchase.

yup same conclusion here, most probably its a 2 year old camera. better check the warranty card and all. itll cost much above 40k if buying new. 29.5k (body) + 19k (18-105 lens) + discount coupon = 47k

OP
J

JaySmarty23

Broken In
You seems to be well informed and you have done your research on "what to look for when buying used DSLR".

Everything was satisfying in your first meeting. Ask him about the shutter count and do some test shots...

Yup, I did much research before going... :p
and yes, I am gonna ask about the shutter count and warranty now...need to clear the warranty issue...

Well, I am little in a hurry to buy the camera now...so I can't wait for someone to come with me to check... but still...I will check for warranty myself...
Thanks... :)

dude its not possible, nikon gives standard 2 year warranty. have you checked the warranty card which comes along? well if the camera was new i wouldnt have bothered but if you are buying second hand make sure that you pay for what you get. because after 1 day of use if it stops functioning you are screwed... and that cant happen only to you it can happen to anyone of us...

Ya...I understand... thanks for the suggestion dude... I will ask about warranty to him... :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
yup same conclusion here, most probably its a 2 year old camera. better check the warranty card and all. itll cost much above 40k if buying new. 29.5k (body) + 19k (18-105 lens) + discount coupon = 47k

ur calculation is wrong its 25k body+17k lens=42k :)

Top Bottom