Need advice for buying new Graphics card

deta

Broken In
1600x900 requires at most 1GB ram on ultra. i am playing SplinterCellBlacklist on ultra. uses ~800MB at max.

i use the 7770

AC 4 and COD block ops 2 utilized 1 gb ram fully on my 7770. getting 2gb is a wise decision imo.
I think you are getting confused buddy. VRAM is totally different from RAM. Vram of GPU is required to load textures in game while RAM is used to load the Games/Programs. OP has 4GB of ram which is adequate for the moment

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I think you are getting confused buddy. VRAM is totally different from RAM. Vram of GPU is required to load textures in game while RAM is used to load the Games/Programs. OP has 4GB of ram which is adequate for the moment

anirbandd mentioned vram and me too. it was you got confused there...:p

OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
Can someone tell me what exactly happens when the gpu runs out of vram? As far as playing games at ultra settings is concerned, my gts 450 1gb was able to run bf3 at ultra with ~30 fps, though I don't know how much vram it used as I never bothered to check.

deta

Broken In
Lord073 go for gtx 650ti boost edition and don't overclock it because you psu will be at limit. Skip on ram, 4 GB its adequate for now

Can someone tell me what exactly happens when the gpu runs out of vram? As far as playing games at ultra settings is concerned, my gts 450 1gb was able to run bf3 at ultra with ~30 fps, though I don't know how much vram it used as I never bothered to check.
RAM in the graphics card is called video memory or Video Random Access Memory, which is used to load textures . it is different from the system RAM or simply RAM. as i said before 1GB video memory is enough provided that gpu is powerful. since you will be gaming at resolution 1600X900 you shouldn't be bothered about vram. To check VRAM utilization use GPU-Z in the sensor tab check out how much GPU memory is utilised while gaming

OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
Well I'll check out the prices at the local dealers and if my budget permits I'll probably go for a 7790 2gb as the gtx650ti boost probably won't fit my pockets. Else I'll have to be satisfied with a 7790 1gb I think.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

okay... :lol:

but i meant vram when i said it was on my 7770. surely one cant install regular ram on a gpu?? ;)

Well I'll check out the prices at the local dealers and if my budget permits I'll probably go for a 7790 2gb as the gtx650ti boost probably won't fit my pockets. Else I'll have to be satisfied with a 7790 1gb I think.

well heres a revelation for me. i played ACBlackflag last night and saw that it took up ~950mb ram on my 7770. thats on 1600x900. :p

you'd better get the 2GB version matey. ;)

OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
Yeah I think It'd be wise to get a 2gb version coz I'm probably not gonna upgrade for atleast another 3 yrs.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
@1600x900 more than 1GB has become a necessity
My HD 7770 can run BF3 at ultra at 1600x900 (with 2x MSAA) at a stable 40+ fps
But I get severe stuttering as my card loads large maps..Mind you, this isnt a problem with FPS, its a problem with how large my VRAM is.. because BF3 requires more than 1 GB of VRAM for large maps, even though my card is "Fast enough" to give good FPS//

Getting a 2GB VRAM card is wise decision, only if you do not spend more than 1-1.5k above a 1GB version

OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
Okay which one of these two would be a better choice?

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 2GB GDDR5 OC

MSI Global ? Graphics Card - R7790-2GD5/OC

Top Bottom