NEED Advice For Buying Graphics Card- GTX 780,770 or HD 7970 Vaporx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Hello,
I am just planning to buy a gfx card pretty soon but I am really confused with which one should i GO.

My Current Budget is 35K and I was planning to go for HD 7970 VporX 3gb few days back. Now I saw rolling in their Nvdia Gtx 780 out inmarket with price tag of 47K , and now following that 770 is on market too. Both of these cards are performing well and better than HD 7970.

So I chnaged my plan and thought of buying gtx 770 , but Cilus Suggested that any upcoming games will be Memory Based and so One always should go with a card having Higher Memory. Now this is making me think twice and I am in Dillemma.

If I want to get rid of all this then I have to get Gtx 780 and thats almost 10K more , which is a bit difficult for me atm as I need to chnage up my psu as well
So, shall I go with Gtx770 reagrdless its 2GB or I should put emphasis what CILUS said- HIGHER MEMORY ...

Please suugest me what should i do, much apreciated

Thanks

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
GTX 770 has much smoother gameplay & lesser frame latencies..

BTW what resolution you game at ??
for 1080p 2 GB should be enough

rock2702

Padawan
Hello,
I am just planning to buy a gfx card pretty soon but I am really confused with which one should i GO.

My Current Budget is 35K and I was planning to go for HD 7970 VporX 3gb few days back. Now I saw rolling in their Nvdia Gtx 780 out inmarket with price tag of 47K , and now following that 770 is on market too. Both of these cards are performing well and better than HD 7970.

So I chnaged my plan and thought of buying gtx 770 , but Cilus Suggested that any upcoming games will be Memory Based and so One always should go with a card having Higher Memory. Now this is making me think twice and I am in Dillemma.

If I want to get rid of all this then I have to get Gtx 780 and thats almost 10K more , which is a bit difficult for me atm as I need to chnage up my psu as well
So, shall I go with Gtx770 reagrdless its 2GB or I should put emphasis what CILUS said- HIGHER MEMORY ...

Please suugest me what should i do, much apreciated

Thanks

Kindly check your messaging inbox.

Cilus

laborare est orare
GTX 770 is nothing but a re branded GTX 680 with a very good PCB and higher clock speed resulting better overclocking potential. Sure, it performs better than HD 7970 normal version but does it perform better than the GHz edition? In fact they perform similarly with their respective stock speeds. Currently HD 7970 custom versions like the Gigabyte versions are available around 27K which are allready overclocked over 1000 MHz and due to the superior cooler and PCB, can be overclocked further. On the other had, GTX 770 is 30K+ and you will get maximum of 3 to 4% higher FPS in couple of games and in others 7970 will be faster. Also 3 GB Video Memory is a factor you should be consider while playing games with high AA and AF settings.
So make your decision. Regarding Frame Latency, any single GPU card from both red and green camp have no issues with latest drivers.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I game at 23 inch -1080p, but i have a plan to increase it. But not much, maximum to 26-28 inch .

:facepalm:Man size has nothing with resolution.. 5" Galaxy s4 & a standard 32" HDTV have same resolution..
as i said 2GB is enough for 1080p

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
GTX 770 is nothing but a re branded GTX 680 with a very good PCB and higher clock speed resulting better overclocking potential. Sure, it performs better than HD 7970 normal version but does it perform better than the GHz edition? In fact they perform similarly with their respective stock speeds. Currently HD 7970 custom versions like the Gigabyte versions are available around 27K which are allready overclocked over 1000 MHz and due to the superior cooler and PCB, can be overclocked further. On the other had, GTX 770 is 30K+ and you will get maximum of 3 to 4% higher FPS in couple of games and in others 7970 will be faster. Also 3 GB Video Memory is a factor you should be consider while playing games with high AA and AF settings.
So make your decision. Regarding Frame Latency, any single GPU card from both red and green camp have no issues with latest drivers.

Should i wait a bit and spend 10k more to get Gtx 780?
WHat do you say on this matter?
I have planned to buy PS4, so do you really suggest spedning that much on pc?

:facepalm:Man size has nothing with resolution.. 5" Galaxy s4 & a standard 32" HDTV have same resolution..
as i said 2GB is enough for 1080p

Doesnt Really size matters For the monitors? I am sepaking about monitors friend not tv... Clear me up please...

kartikoli

Busy!!
^^^ he means to say that resolution matter not the size as you are playing on 1080p then it wont be an issue if you play on either 20' or 27' monitor or 50' full HD TV

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I have planned to buy PS4, so do you really suggest spedning that much on pc?

Good question...
Prbably you must save some dough(get HD7970) or cancel desicion of PS4 & get a kick ass PC..
Don't spend on both (for my take spend on PC & avoid a console)

Did you get the point of size & reolution ??

Regarding Frame Latency, any single GPU card from both red and green camp ____ have any issues with latest drivers.

Did you miss a don't there?? ;-)

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
ASUS HD7970 3GB DDR5 MATRIX PLATINUM

ASUS HD7970 3GB DDR5 MATRIX

Are this two cards performs same as Vapor-X ? I just saw them in MD computers . - Didnt know they are already here in Inida

ALso, I will get an ps4 for sure so keeping that point in mind suggest me how much should i spend.....

Thanks

S.S gadgets

Broken In
Have a look at this, GIGABYTE Announces GeForce GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC with 4GB | techPowerUp

If you can get it in MD computers better buy this. what do you say CILUS?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
just get a gtx 780 with a 27 inch monitor having 2560*1440 res. ie dell ultrasharp u2711;-) and forget console. Drop a gtx 780 a few months later for sli.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
just get a gtx 780 with a 27 inch monitor having 2560*1440 res. ie dell ultrasharp u2711;-) and forget
console. Drop a gtx 780 a few months later for sli.

ALright, I will not get any console...
But Almost all upcoming games are AMD based , having 4th gen eng ., as far as I heard. Wont you think on that part?

Also, If i Buy a LED TV other than monitor Will it affect my card efficiency or is it a good idea to do so?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
LED TV or Monitor, both will work same with your GPU. But for TV, now you will only get Full HD or 1920X1080 resolution whereas for Monitor, I think you might get XHD or 2560X1440 resolution as suggested by TopGear. But I don't think those Monitors will come cheap. In fact in India, they are extremely overpriced.

Regarding Game dependencies, ya, there is a chance that a lots of multiplatform games will be optimized for AMD CPU and GPU architecture as consoles are also using same design. But GTX 780 is a very powerful card and if you can get it, get it. However, it is justified for 2560X1440 resolution. For 1920X1080, even a HD 7970 1000 MHz version will do.

Both 7970 Matrix Paltinum and Vapor-X are coming at 30K+ and the improvement you will get over the Gigabyte card, is not justified for the price.

jasku

In the zone
ALright, I will not get any console...
But Almost all upcoming games are AMD based , having 4th gen eng ., as far as I heard. Wont you think on that part?

Also, If i Buy a LED TV other than monitor Will it affect my card efficiency or is it a good idea to do so?

What do you mean by all upcoming games are AMD based? There is nothing of that sort, they maybe optimized to a particular vendors hardware, does not mean the opposing vendors product will not run the game. So, you can go for either an nVidia or AMD card, doesn't really matter.

As per your fuzzy requirements, Cilus's suggestion makes most sense, get a non reference 7970, it will satisfy all your needs. The size of the monitor does not matter, its the resolution that counts, you can game at 720p on a 30' monitor if you choose to. Bottom line, I would also recommend the 7970, as I own one, and game at 1080p on Dell 24' panel, the card runs most games at max settings without breaking a sweat.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Nicely put. In fact OP can go for a Crossfire in future. AMD has already confirmed that their Multi-GPU Stuttering fix driver will be released in July which will address all the Frame Latency and Stuttering issues. Tomshardware had done a testing 1.5 Months back with the experimental version of this driver and they said that it has fixed issues by a good margin. Hope the final version will completely eliminate those.
In fact I am waiting for HD 7950 CF.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
What do you mean by all upcoming games are AMD based? There is nothing of that sort, they maybe optimized to a particular vendors hardware, does not mean the opposing vendors product will not run the game. So, you can go for either an nVidia or AMD card, doesn't really matter.

As per your fuzzy requirements, Cilus's suggestion makes most sense, get a non reference 7970, it will satisfy all your needs. The size of the monitor does not matter, its the resolution that counts, you can game at 720p on a 30' monitor if you choose to. Bottom line, I would also recommend the 7970, as I own one, and game at 1080p on Dell 24' panel, the card runs most games at max settings without breaking a sweat.

Thanks for the Suggestion. My requirement is not so Fuzzy- To be clear & Short- I just want a GPU that would be best both in current and future Prospect

Now Look, If you research a bit you will find some games performs in either of them with a bit of up and down.So , that up and down may increase a bit in coming future as Textur architecture may be based on AMD Eng both in software and Hardware terms ,thats what i tried to meant . Also, the Nvdia cards , though good, are a bit pricey as compared to their respective performnce level isnt it??

Me too prefer AMD and thinking to go with ASUS hd 7970 MATRIX Platinum - Will it be a wise choice to do?

jasku

In the zone
Thanks for the Suggestion. My requirement is not so Fuzzy- To be clear & Short- I just want a GPU that would be best both in current and future Prospect

Now Look, If you research a bit you will find some games performs in either of them with a bit of up and down.So , that up and down may increase a bit in coming future as Textur architecture may be based on AMD Eng both in software and Hardware terms ,thats what i tried to meant . Also, the Nvdia cards , though good, are a bit pricey as compared to their respective performnce level isnt it??

Me too prefer AMD and thinking to go with ASUS hd 7970 MATRIX Platinum - Will it be a wise choice to do?

"I just want a GPU that would be best both in current and future Prospect" - In the binary world this requirement is extremely fuzzy, you need to define what your "current" and "future" needs are (primarily gaming resolution, timeline of future, etc..)

The "up and down" that you refer to with the hardware concerned will be negligible ( a few frames) and hence the 7970 would be best suited for your requirements.

I have always wanted to try a dual GPU setup, but has never happened for me, because most times I ended buying a newer GPU, I am guessing most people are in a similar boat, but if you ever want to upscale you have the option, I dont have much knowledge about dual GPU setups, just the usual, single is always better, and that SLI scales better than Xfire, which is what Clius mentioned AMD is working on. Also, do some research, read some reviews on sites like Tomshardware, Anandtech, etc...

The vibe I am getting from whatever I have read so far is that the 7970 would be a good fit for you, give you more than enough fire power, and a wise choice.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
^^ Nicely put. In fact OP can go for a Crossfire in future. AMD has already confirmed that their Multi-GPU Stuttering fix driver will be released in July which will address all the Frame Latency and Stuttering issues. Tomshardware had done a testing 1.5 Months back with the experimental version of this driver and they said that it has fixed issues by a good margin. Hope the final version will completely eliminate those.
In fact I am waiting for HD 7950 CF.

Thanks Cilus For the INFO. It was You who warned me to avoid Xfire Setup. But now if you suggest Amd has already cured that , then I would love to take 7970 and crossfire it within few months if possible. That would suffice my requirement I hope as I also do rendering, Multimedia based works too.

Now , can you please tell which one should i go with- ASUS matrix Platinum would be a good choice?

"I just want a GPU that would be best both in current and future Prospect" - In the binary world this requirement is extremely fuzzy, you need to define what your "current" and "future" needs are (primarily gaming resolution, timeline of future, etc..)

The "up and down" that you refer to with the hardware concerned will be negligible ( a few frames) and hence the 7970 would be best suited for your requirements.

I have always wanted to try a dual GPU setup, but has never happened for me, because most times I ended buying a newer GPU, I am guessing most people are in a similar boat, but if you ever want to upscale you have the option, I dont have much knowledge about dual GPU setups, just the usual, single is always better, and that SLI scales better than Xfire, which is what Clius mentioned AMD is working on. Also, do some research, read some reviews on sites like Tomshardware, Anandtech, etc...

The vibe I am getting from whatever I have read so far is that the 7970 would be a good fit for you, give you more than enough fire power, and a wise choice.

Ok, Accepted your proposal- Ya you are absolutely right , in this Binary World there is nothing that can be future proof.. But by future prospect I tried to meant the general amount of time that it can provide me with , to keep up th Flame right. Now Its Ovio that i need to do modification within couple of years ....

Look , I might like to game at a bit bigger resolution and the time i want this gfx cards to help me for- 2 years approx.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom