Need a UPS for my rig, please suggest !!

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
Hey everyone,
I wanted to buy a UPS to provide power back-up to my PC for only a few minutes in case of power failure to enable smooth system shut-down.
Which one should I go for.
Regarding my rigs power draw, please refer my siggy..

Thanks in Advance,
sid_gamer

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
core i7 920 and GTX 260 both are power hungry products - so Op better get a 1KVA UPS say when Op is gaming he needs that much backup power so that the system won't just shutdown when the CPu and GPu both are under load - with a 1KVA UPS he will be able safely save/quit the game and have a proper and smooth shutdown.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Go in for an APC 800VA and it should be sufficient. I've been using a Luminous 800VA UPS which comes with twin 12V 7AH batteries, and gives a good 35 minutes of backup with a 17" CRT monitor attached in the config.
Make an informed choice by researching online about the capacity of batteries (denoted by AH - Ampere Hour) provided with specific UPS models.
PS: Do not settle in for cheap ones, which use lower capacity batteries, and good looking exteriors.:razz:

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
I always prefer APC. They gave a great service when my UPS was not functioning after 10 months and they came with 24 hrs and replaced the battery.

I bought the APC 1000RS

OP
Sid_gamer

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
Hey everyone,
Sorry for an awfully late reply..
BTW, I am considering a 1 KVA UPS from APC..
I guess that'll be the best suited one for my rig..
Any ideas on it's Price..??

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
The APC's are pretty costly compared to others, but the cost is worth it owing to good quality of the products. I believe that you should consider spending around Rs 4500 for an APC UPS of 1KVA or so. But as far as your config and the requirement (to save your work and shut down your system), I feel 600 to 800 VA is enough.

OP
Sid_gamer

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
^^
I agree...
Coz I am also planning to upgrade some of my hardware soon..
so considering that, a 1 KVA UPS from APC will do the job well !!

Thanks a lot everyone.
I'll post here when I finally buy it..

Cheers and e-peace,
sid_gamer

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
1KVA UPS is theoretically capable of providing 835Watt of power which would be enough for most configs here.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
but it's showing 600W ?

APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1000 with LCD, 230V, India

APC Back-UPS RS, 1000VA, 230V, INDIA

OP
Sid_gamer

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
^^
These links show that a 1KVA UPS provides 600 Watts of power back-up..

@d6bmg
Does this mean that 600 watts is the minimum wattage supplied by it and that it can provide about 800 watts during max load ??

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
See this link: Difference between VA and Watts

Power factor is defined as 0.6, but while using it, depending on the battery, it can extract more power.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^
These links show that a 1KVA UPS provides 600 Watts of power back-up..

@d6bmg
Does this mean that 600 watts is the minimum wattage supplied by it and that it can provide about 800 watts during max load ??

if you put 800W load on an UPS that can work with 600W load at battery backup mode the UPS will just shut down. The UPS may work with a little more load load than 600W ( sya 5-10% ) but it won't be be able to handle 800W load at battery backup mode.

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
I bought the UPS just today, Microtek's 1050 VA. My config is the same as yours, except that I have DX58SO board, and 2 HDDs of 2TB and 320GB.

Normally, a new UPS has an efficiency of 0.80 and later it decreases to 0.65 to 0.60. So, 1 kVA UPS will initially be capable to run 800 W and later (nearly after 2 years) decrease to 600 W. You can still load it to 800 W, but there might be a loss in total backup-time etc.

Top Bottom