Need a performance laptop

ParaXite

Power User
Hello guys!

I've been reading discussions on these forums from quite a few days and decided to register. I've decided to buy a laptop soon and I would like some help. I've already done my research but would like your opinion and word on it.

My requirements:
- A Complete desktop replacement laptop for about 60k which I will be using for gaming mostly.
- I don't care about the battery life and any heating/build quality issue.
- I just want a powerful GPU and Processor that wont become outdated for at least 5 years.

My find:
- I've just found ONE laptop which fulfills my needs and that is the HP dv6 6165tx which has a AMD 6770m GPU and lies between nvidia's GT and GTX series in performance.

What I am aware of:
I've read the huge thread on the HP dv6 on this forum.
I know about the OpenGL issue that has been fixed and about the switchable graphics.

My questions:
- Is there any other option that I should consider in my budget of 60k that would give me the same GPU power or more?

- If the laptop heats up will it shut down? I don't mind having a hot laptop but I don't want it to shut down. Does a cooling pad solve any such shutting down problem?

- Is there any major issue related to the laptop's hardware?

- Will there be better laptops in the same price range coming out in the next 2 months that I'm not aware of? Should I wait for new expected releases?

Thanks guys! The help is much appreciated! :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Welcome to TDF :)

1) IF you can increase you budget (6-10k), have a look at N55sf with GT555M. It's as good as 6770M with lot less problems, with 1080p.

2) If you can't, DV6 is the only option. But wait for launch of newer models announced, based on Ivy bridge having GT630M/650M. 650M will blow away 6770M.

3) If the laptop heats down, it will obviously shut down once CPU crosses the threshold temp, but its never recommended as there is risk of conking off of CPU & mobo anytime. Electronics are very sensitive.

4) Cooling pad can solve a lot of problems combined with your personal care, but some risk is always there.

sumansherlock

Broken In
I don't think they are gonna release 15.6 inch with 650m may be it is only for 17inch....there is a new dv6 7000series model out but with 630m here is the link
HP Pavilion DV6-7012 Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

here are the newly released dm4 with 630m and G6 series laptops with 7670m which is better than 540m and 630m
HP Pavilion Dv4 - 5009TX Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

G6 Series
*www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-g6-20...aA--&ref=f7ea03e1-02d4-4eae-8267-2e5ac921de5c

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ They are already available? @_@

HP Y U NO include 650 in dv6-7000 -_- (Sorry for the internet meme language use,but couldn't help).

sarthak

In the zone
Under 60k the only laptop with good graphics is the dv6. And it never shuts down on heating (atleast not mine). Using cooling pad reduces temperatures by about 5 degrees. There is no major issue with the hardware.

The new dv6-7000 series is coming out soon but as sumansherlock has pointed out above it would have a weaker GT630M.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
Thank you for the quick replies guys!

What I would like to know is that will the new HP laptops having 650m fit in my budget of 60k which really is my upper limit and does the 6165tx have many driver related problems that I would need to rectify after I buy it?

Thanks!

sarthak

In the zone
Thank you for the quick replies guys!

What I would like to know is that will the new HP laptops having 650m fit in my budget of 60k which really is my upper limit and does the 6165tx have many driver related problems that I would need to rectify after I buy it?

Thanks!

650M is in the dv7 series, which will most probably be priced higher than your budget. After you buy 6165tx you will have to update your bios and graphic driver to enable switchable graphics.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
650M is in the dv7 series, which will most probably be priced higher than your budget. After you buy 6165tx you will have to update your bios and graphic driver to enable switchable graphics.

Are the updates easy one-click install updates or is it a time consuming process? Im asking this because ive seen ppl talking about how confusing it is. Also, is the bios update available on the hp site? Will there be any problem with openGL and AMD gpu with the updated drivers? Is the amd gpu physx compatible?

sarthak

In the zone
Are the updates easy one-click install updates or is it a time consuming process? Im asking this because ive seen ppl talking about how confusing it is. Also, is the bios update available on the hp site? Will there be any problem with openGL and AMD gpu with the updated drivers? Is the amd gpu physx compatible?

Updated my lappy long back so forgot about them :| But I don't think they are confusing.

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
My requirements:
- A Complete desktop replacement laptop for about 60k which I will be using for gaming mostly.
- I don't care about the battery life and any heating/build quality issue.
- I just want a powerful GPU and Processor that wont become outdated for at least 5 years.

-- Laptop and Gaming dont go together. Get yourself a desktop if gaming is your main priority.
-- You may not care about heating/build quality, but after 3-4 visits to service center, you surely will.
-- 5 years? These laptops will hardly be able to run games released in 2 years down the line.

My find:
- Is there any other option that I should consider in my budget of 60k that would give me the same GPU power or more?
Wait for newer DV6 series.
Asus N55f can also be an option.

- If the laptop heats up will it shut down? I don't mind having a hot laptop but I don't want it to shut down. Does a cooling pad solve any such shutting down problem?
It may not be a problem for you.
But heat generally reduces the life of the components.
Inside a laptop, there is not much scope of airflow, hence it is more of a problem.

- Is there any major issue related to the laptop's hardware?
No.

- Will there be better laptops in the same price range coming out in the next 2 months that I'm not aware of? Should I wait for new expected releases?
Yes, wait. Ivy bridge / Trinity will arrive soon.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
^ Thanks. What I actually meant was I dont want to compromise on the GPU and I cant buy a desktop because I will be going to a college and will be on the go every time so I need a portable laptop. And 6770m/650m will be enough for new games to run on med settings. So its ok.

I know that currently in my budget I can only get a AMD 6770m at the best but the only other news I got is about the ivy bridge laptops with a nVidia 650M.

When are the new dv7-7000 ivy laptops scheduled to be on sale in india? And will the laptop with the 650M GPU fit in my budget of 60k? Expected price?

EDIT: @arsenalfan001 I see you have a laptop with similar specs to the 6165tx ...hows the graphic performance? And I think newer games will run on med settings...

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Graphics card is same. Performance is also.
1GB and 2GB variant does not matter for these cards.
This is a croma only model from HP.
Not much difference from 6165tx or 6121tx.

OP
ParaXite

ParaXite

Power User
Ohk but when are the new dv7-7000 ivy laptops scheduled to be on sale in india? And will the laptop with the 650M GPU fit in my budget of 60k? Expected price?

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
No idea about the scheduled date.
Laptop with 650M should be around 65k, maybe less. Remember, HP is VFM.
Lets wait and watch.

Top Bottom