Need a new CPU, Mobo & RAM for Gaming Rig, confused about graphics card/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
^^PCIe 3.0 has negligible performance diff. as of now..

PCI Express 3.0 Has Zero Performance Incentive for Radeon HD 7970: Tests

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Going for pci-e 3.0 would mean going the socket 2011 way. Wait for the release of i7 3820. It might come cheaper than 2600k. But overclocking is easy with 2600k as you don't have to touch the bclk.

Since you are going for a 17k board, x79 is not far off at 19k. Plus the platform has a different upgrade route and will have an interesting cpu lineup with its share of 22nm dieshrink. Give it a thought again imo.

For gpu, get the radeon 7970 instead of 6950 2gb cf eyes closed. GCN looks more promising than vliw.

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
skud, if you go to vedant or MD computers, plz let us inform the prices of HD 7970 (Sapphire,MSI,Asus), BTW if you go after 26th jan, you can also visit MD computers new Shop at E-mall ;)

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, developing cold feet over ASUS. Kindly suggest some good mobos within 15-20k:-

Shortlisted the following:-

1) Gigabyte P67/Z68 UD5
2) Gigabyte P67/Z68 UD7
3) MSI P67/Z68-GD80

Not bothered about PCie 3.0.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are hitting at the very top. :D What's wrong with UD5? Just asking.

Last edited:

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Skud - Nothings wrong with UD5.. but I'm sure it must be around ~15k and UD7 is around ~18k... for 3k more u might waana go all the way......

Also Ive got the UD7 and Its just tooooo good!!! B)

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Tenida: Not interested in PCie 3 if I get a 2600k and the GD80 comes with too much strings attached over the peripherals you can use once you start populating the slots. Don't want to pull my hair down the line. ;) I have shortlisted it as a last resort, if the other models are unavailable.

Also, don't need SSD caching and if I add HD7000, utility of Quick Sync will be highly doubtful. So, P67 is preferred over Z68 at this point.

Tenida - UD7 has 24 phase power.... B) GD80 - 13 phase.. :p

Correction... its 12 phase. The reviews I have seen are not so positive on GB boards of this generation. How's your personal experience of the UD7 board - stability & OC wise?

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
dude its 24 phase... what reviews did u see?? :O even UD5 is 20 phase.... :p

personal experience was pretty good... was able to stabilize(P95 for 3hours) 2500k at 5.0GHz using Scythe Yasya.... Epicly good board for Ocing... it has led lights that show how much load is on cpu and ram... really helped me a lot...

overall experience was really good for me... although i also havent seen very positive feedback from people about socket 1155 Gigabytes.... I wonder why is that??! :O
but considering what extreme gamer has been thru with his Asus... i wud take my chances with GB.. :p

Last edited:
OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
dude its 24 phase... what reviews did u see?? :O even UD5 is 20 phase.... :p

Was talking about the GD80. ;)

personal experience was pretty good... was able to stabilize(P95 for 3hours) 2500k at 5.0GHz using Scythe Yasya.... Epicly good board for Ocing... it has led lights that show how much load is on cpu and ram... really helped me a lot...

overall experience was really good for me... although i also havent seen very positive feedback from people about socket 1155 Gigabytes.... I wonder why is that??! :O
but considering what extreme gamer has been thru with his Asus... i wud take my chances with GB.. :p

Me too, particularly after good experience with the current GB board.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
@LionKing-UD7 costs 18.7k and P67A-GD80 costs 13K.So depending upon the price UD7 has more feature sets.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Tenida - Yes but GD80 is highest end msi... and UD7 is highest end Gigabyte...!! and if msi cant compete with a good quality board then its basically msi's problem.. :p

P.S. I hope you understand Im pulling ur leg... :p

@Jaskanwar - It was stupid of msi to give such an option... it was stupider(or maybe be he was experimenting?) of the user to load cpu by 50% on 1 phase... :D
lol it took the 2600K with it.... lmao! :D

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@Skud: For motherboard under 20K, think about GA-P67/Z68A-UD7 (depending on your choice, as both are equally good). That Z68 one is NF200 based board which will give you specific advantage over other non-NF200 based G3 boards like MSI Z68A-GD80.

More info about this: Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom