Need A Gaming and Photoshop Rig under 30K

kasshav

Broken In
Need A Gaming and Photoshop Rig under 35K

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Primarily for Photoshop and Illustrator CS6. And then for popular games like Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, GTA5, Call of Duty.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 35K . Can't extend anymore.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 x64

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500 GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. Already have a 22" Benq G2220 HD LCD

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I already have 22" LCD. Apart from that I need everything

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within 2 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will assemble myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chandigarh. Will prefer to by locally or from Nehru Place, Delhi

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I am open to both Intel as well as AMD. Need a descend Graphics Card which can handle Photoshop and Illustrator opened side-by-side.

Last edited:

ankush28

Bazinga
here is my suggetion
AMD FX-6300 @ 7.3K
Asus M5A97 R2.0 @ 6K
corsair vengeance 4gb @ 2k
WD Caviar Blue 500 gb @ 2.9K
Corsair cxv2 430 watt @ 2.5
NZXT gamma @ 2.4k
sapphire HD 7790 DDR5@11k
MK200 @ 0.7k
best of luck
total 34.8
++ get 1-2 case fans.
:D

Last edited:
here is my suggetion
AMD FX-6300 @ 7.3K
Asus M5A97 R2.0 @ 6K
zebronics/iball cabinet @ 0.7k
GTX 650ti DDR5@10k
MK200 @ 0.7k
best of luck
total 32.1

:+1: the amd rig is better. Go for it.

Shiva

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
here is my suggetion
AMD FX-6300 @ 7.3K
Asus M5A97 R2.0 @ 6K
zebronics/iball cabinet @ 0.7k
GTX 650ti DDR5@10k
MK200 @ 0.7k
best of luck
total 32.1
alternatively you can opt for i3-3220+p8b75-m lx=10.5k
but the amd rig will be best for you

Well, the rig looks good. But one request, Can you suggest a better cabinet possibly with 2 fans [maybe like cooler master or NZXT, I've heard they are quite good]?

ankush28

Bazinga
^^ yeah CM and nzxt are good but you have to increase your budget.
get NZXT GAMMA @ 2.4k it is best cheapest available cabinet.
for fans non-led fans costs only 250-300rs add it later.

dont compromise with hardwarw for cabinet, buy only if you can increase budget by 2k

Last edited:
OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Thanks Ankush for the info.

I've updated the budget and made it upto 35k. Now I think I can go for the better cabinet.

One thing I noticed in the original config suggested by you, you have suggested an i3 as an alternate option. How does i3 perform compared to this AMD FX processor?
My personal experience with i3 has not been that good. At my workplace I have used i3 with Ubuntu for almost a year and it doesn't perform that well. Even opening browsers and some IDEs like Netbeans and Qt Creator used to hang this proccy. I give a "meh" to that power efficient thing which intel is marketing these days. I think AMD's perform quite good. What are your views regarding this?
One more thing, you have suggested the GTX 650ti DDR5 which I think is quite good. Would the AMD FX be okay in combination to this GPU or is there any chance of bottleneck in rendering or calculations performances?

^^ yeah CM and nzxt are good but you have to increase your budget.
get NZXT GAMMA @ 2.4k it is best cheapest available cabinet.
for fans non-led fans costs only 250-300rs add it later.

dont compromise with hardwarw for cabinet, buy only if you can increase budget by 2k

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
in CPU intensive and Multithreaded apps, i3 is no where near to FX-6300. FX-6300 is a 6 Core Processor and will offer real great performance. I don't think there is a chance of bottleneck. Regarding Graphics card, I suggest you go with AMD HD 7790 which is around 11K. It is better than GTX 650 Ti in gaming and in compute performance. Both Photoshop and Illustrator offer GPU acceleration via OpenCL and HD 7790 will offer you faster acceleration due to superior OpenCL performance.

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
But you can get i5 10.5k
Z75 intel mobo 4.2k

Now for 1.7k more you are getting unprecedented single thread performance and much more multi threaded performance and still in your 35k budget. The cpu is more efficient too.

And go for 650ti boost 2gb if you want to game at fhd for next 2 years. 650ti boost= hd7850 at 12k

And I doubt fx 6300+ hd 7790 can beat an i5 in photoshop and 7790 doesnt even come close to 650ti boost 1gb in gaming which costs the same

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ His main requirements are not gaming, it is photoshop and Adobe illustrator. That is why I have suggested HD 7790 instead of 650 Ti Boost. 7790 has standard gaming performance as well as very good Compute performance whereas 650 Ti Boost, like all nVidia cards, has very poor openCL performance.

And if he can accomodate an i5 3550 ot i5 3470 and the Z75 Motherboard, then I think he can go for that too. But the problem is there will be no chance of future upgrades without a complete system upgrades as sooner Ivy Bridge is going to be history.

ankush28

Bazinga
^^ agree with cilus.
i5 uses lga1155 socket which is died now, whereas fx's am3+ socket seems more futureproof for 3-5 years, steemroller will support am3+ socket 99.9% sure, as every new socket support older one in AMDs.
If OP Overclock the FX 6300 then it performs far better then any non-k i5, and FX-6300 performs much better then i5 in multithreaded applications.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
@Cilus, @Ankush.. Thanks guys.. I have considered HD 7790 as suggested by you since it would be better for photoshop and illustrator. And Cilus you are correct, my primary requirement is not gaming. I can suffice with medium setting for occasional gaming. Here is the rig I am thinking to go on with:

AMD FX-6300 @ 7.3K
Asus M5A97 R2.0 @ 6K
CM/ NZXT Cabinet @ 2.5k
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7790 1 GB GDDR5 @10K
MK200 @ 0.7k

total 33.9

ankush28

Bazinga
nzxt will not available in your city or even in nehru place it is very hard to find NZXT products :(
one more tip the mouse which come with mk200 is crap get lenovo m6811 @ 0.6 it has 1600 dpi, I personally use it for PS and AE, and it is giving me kickass performence ;) since you can extend your budget by 35k try to get CM 431

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Agreed. Lenovo M6811 is the best VFM Gaming mouse, available around 650 bucks. Get it and a standard Logitech Keyboard aroudn 0.3K

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
i5-3570 10.4k
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H 4.2k
gskill sniper 2x4GB (total 8GB) 1600cl9 4k
corsair vs450 2.2k
hd7790 10k
500GB wd c blue 3k

total 33.8k excluding cabinet

benchmarks
AnandTech | Bench - CPU photoshop

and nobody (except fanboys) have doubt that 3470 is great at gaming ( op dosen't want to overclock )

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
@Ankush, @Cilus, Thanks guys for sharing your personal experiences with the Lenovo M6811 Mouse. Will hunt for it. So my rig is done after these two tweaks:
AMD FX-6300 @ 7.3K
Asus M5A97 R2.0 @ 6K
CM 431 Cabinet @ 4k
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7790 1 GB GDDR5 @10K
Lenovo M6811 Mouse @ 0.6k

Total = ~35.3k
:hyper: :doublethumb:

7 EVO R2.0I would recommend to invest 1k more and get M5A97 EVO R2.0 instead, better build quality. You can lower down on the cabinet to aid that.

ankush28

Bazinga
^^ cm 431 costs 3.2k only in local shops.
if you can spend 4k on cabby then corsair 300r will be best.
better you go for cm 430 @ 3k
and get evo version of motherboard, still overall cost remains same ;)

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Upgrade paths are myth unless you go for a really low end proccy. No one who has sandy bridge i5 is ever gonna upgrade to ivy now. Moreover it would take years for amd to catch intel's single threaded performance and we dont know if am3+ is gonna be there or not.

The level of performance between i5 and fx6300 is huge. If you really want best bang for your buck
Get i5+z75

ankush28

Bazinga
>am3+ will surly be there dude...
as am3 MoBos support am3+ processor
so if there is am4 it will surely support am3+
> FX 6300 is hexacore so agree singlethreaded performence is less, but not to forget all future apps and games gonna be multicore/multithread optimised.

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Fx 6300 is never gonna match i5. In even multithreaded apps i5 beats fx6300.
Amd hasnt told anything about generations after steamroller, fm2 is already out after richland ;-)
I5 is and always gonna be better than fx 6300 no matter what. And i5 at 4. 2ghz like my i5 3470 ( overclocked) willkick its ass all day long and still consume almost half the power underload.

And haswell has only 15% ipc improvement over ivy and its successor would be coming in 2015 for desktop. People are still running nehalem quad cores for gaming you know.

Top Bottom