need a dac

chandhu

Broken In
hi guys... need a help

i have shure se215 spe, sennheiser momentum on-ear

my source is samsung galaxy s2, ipod shuffle - bad sound quality

thought of buying a dap but there are no awesome players available in my budget

yesterday i got a chance listen to my friend samsung galaxy s4 and i've noticed improvement in soundstage, bass is tighten a bit, crisp and clear than my samsung s2, highs have a presence with se215

thought of buying fiio x3 but incinerator suggested to be away from it as my shure se215 and x3 wont match effectively... also hearing about bugs in audiophile daps

so decided to buy a dac @ budget of 10k to wow my ears

please suggest an effective one guys... relying on you

how about fiio e10, to start with

Last edited:

josin

In the zone
hi guys... need a help

i have shure se215 spe, sennheiser momentum on-ear

my source is samsung galaxy s2, ipod shuffle - bad sound quality

thought of buying a dap but there are no awesome players available in my budget

yesterday i got a chance listen to my friend samsung galaxy s4 and i've noticed improvement in soundstage, bass is tighten a bit, crisp and clear than my samsung s2, highs have a presence with se215

thought of buying fiio x3 but incinerator suggested to be away from it as my shure se215 and x3 wont match effectively... also hearing about bugs in audiophile daps

so decided to buy a dac @ budget of 10k to wow my ears

please suggest an effective one guys... relying on you

how about fiio e10, to start with

X3 is warm and dark sounding but its sounds fun and there is quality, if you have dark sounding gears to go along with the sound may become little darker ( keep in mind that these are only noticeable when you are comparing with a quality gear which has a natural clean sound, unless you will be blown by its quality sound......By the way i hate natural sounding gears....). X3 received new firmware update ( downloadable from fiio's website) and there is no bugs now.

When you are choosing a DAC, decide whether you want portability or more power to drive those 600 ohm monsters. I have two suggestions for you One is fiio e17 which is portable can drive headphones upto 250 ohms and the other is Audinst HUD-MX2 which can drive 600 ohm cans but not portable but too good to resist.

But before all that let me tell you one thing do your own research (headfi is good starting point) about what you really want and invest prudently.

The reviews:
1.Audinst HUD-MX2
2.Fiio E17
and FiiO E17 Alpen USB DAC Headphone Amplifier - Search

OP
C

chandhu

Broken In
i love warm, bassy sound which x3 have

no i wont go to headfi bro:hyper::hyper::hyper:

4 months back i sign up for suggestions to buy inear of range 2-3k after i lost my klipsch s4 but ended with momentum on-ear and se215 and almost got to buy x3

i'm worrying about what incinerator said about x3 pairing with se215

other than that i have no problem to go with x3(ofcourse i have to save money for a month or two)

fiio e17 cost t=wice of fiio e10 but not in sound quality.. of course it is potable but i dont have compatible device to pair up with e17

how hud-mx2 comparable with x3 in sound quality bro... does mx2 sound superior to x3..?

Last edited:

josin

In the zone
i love warm, bassy sound which x3 have

no i wont go to headfi bro:hyper::hyper::hyper:

4 months back i sign up for suggestions to buy inear of range 2-3k after i lost my klipsch s4 but ended with momentum on-ear and se215 and almost got to buy x3

i'm worrying about what incinerator said about x3 pairing with se215

other than that i have no problem to go with x3(ofcourse i have to save money for a month or two)

Well X3 have all those EQ settings and you can compensate for warm sound if you wish to. Otherwise go for FIIO E17 which is more natural sounding than X3. I love My Fiio E17 on Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro.

Momentum and SE215 ...good buy man and That's what Hedfi does to you... and have a look here, in Amazone it goes for 30K. I have auditioned it once with my HD650...It too good with quality head gear.

Last edited:
OP
C

chandhu

Broken In
it'd be very helpful to audition before buying gear

but not many people buy these expensive gear at least in india

if it is ipod one of our friend will be having it to try

coming to audiophile players these are few people.. very few

i'm living in hyderabad... i've post somewhere else to know if any having x3 in hyderabad but didnt got response

so backed off from buying x3

Momentum and SE215 ...good buy man and That's what Hedfi does to you...

yeah bro.. having nice time with them but they are sounding lifeless with my s2 and ipod

i didnt know that source play main part in sound back then

Last edited:

josin

In the zone
it'd be very helpful to audition before buying gear

but not many people buy these expensive gear at least in india

if it is ipod one of our friend will be having it to try

coming to audiophile players these are few people.. very few

i'm living in hyderabad... i've post somewhere else to know if any having x3 in hyderabad but didnt got response

so backed off from buying x3

yeah bro.. having nice time with them but they are sounding lifeless with my s2 and ipod

i didnt know that source play main part in sound back then
Since you already have an ipod go with FIIO E17 its the best under 10K

OP
C

chandhu

Broken In
its ipod shuffle that too 2nd generation

my relatives are coming from uk.. so thought of asking to buy a dap for me

how about ibasso dx50, hifiman hm 601, hifiman hm602

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
HRT microstreamer

If from the UK. Chuck iBasso off. There is just too many oPtions from UK,too damn many.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Another option is Audioquest Dragonfly.

I have never listened to those so can't say much other than the general recommendation from others.

If you need a DAC + AMP then look for UHA-6S MKII.

OP
C

chandhu

Broken In
read about HRT microstreamer in the words of steve from cnet before your post incinerator

*news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57570860-47/a-budget-priced-audiophile-usb-digital-converter/

so these are superior to Audinst HUD-MX2 and Audioengine D1..??

Another option is Audioquest Dragonfly.

I have never listened to those so can't say much other than the general recommendation from others.

If you need a DAC + AMP then look for UHA-6S MKII.

yeah bro just got to read about them(dragonfly)
*news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57463791-47/a-tiny-usb-digital-to-analog-converter-from-audioquest/

dragaonfly sound is more on warmer side bro... i have se215 which is already warmer... so thinking that they may not be paired effectively

guys what about hifiman daps.. hm 601 and hm602...????

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Might as well buy SONY NWZ-ZX1 from pricejapan. Or the newer HM901 or HM802 announced earlier.

Or probably wait for Fiio X5.

Gotta have bigger pockets for that :p

I just settled for Fiio X3 for now as it serves as DAC replacement too for my terrible laptop sound. And a line out where you can add an AMP to change the signature preferably by rolling out the opamps on the AMP. Good compromise IMO.

OP
C

chandhu

Broken In
actually i thought to buy dac now and wait for fiio x1 as portable budget dap

fiio x1 priced @ $100 with great wolfson wm8740... releasing in mid next year

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
hifi man at moment not great ,coz many alternatives are out and are better in terms of detail and drive aka HRT Streamer or the Headstreamer. If it was 2008/10 i would have told HiFi man. hell yeah...but not now. There lot of options from UK from Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC XS [but not compatible with android Phones] Then theres the wonderful Arcam rPAC.Check out Audioengine D1 too.

OP
C

chandhu

Broken In
k
just a doubt.. these things work with my old pc right..?
my pc model compaq sg3153il

i mailed to hrt guys and cto responded and confirmed that my pc is old and wont support hrt microstreamer

OP
C

chandhu

Broken In
so dap is the option for me now

k guys my two fishes are in two directions(momentum - slight v-shaped n shure se215spe - warm n bassy)

so it seems i've to use two separate ones

so going for fiio x3 for momentum and then see how it works with se215

if it is sounds too dark or i dont like the pairing, then i'll go for something like sansa clip+ for shure se215

where can i buy x3... proaudiohome is the only option..??

Top Bottom