Need 15 cheap pcs for programming and flash dev.

Chetan1991

Youngling
I want to setup a 15 person classroom with each person having their own system. Budget is tight (less than 1 lakh). If it won't do, will have to decrease the number of systems.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
The systems will be running:
  1. Adobe Flash (not player)
  2. Various Browsers
  3. NetBeans (or a lighter IDE)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: < 1 L

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Dual Boot maybe, but primarily Windows.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Minimal. Anything >= 40 GB would do. Just for the software and some files.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Want monitors. Nothing high res, just standard 1366x786 or similar. 15" would do.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: -

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Dec. 2013

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will be building myself for the first time, if it comes to that. Have experiencing in disassembling and assembling desktops and laptops.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: HP. Prefer offline but open to buying online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Given the requirements, is it possible to have an alternate arrangement such as thin or zero clients (used ones available cheap) creating terminals and a powerful central server? That would seem to ease up maintenance. Open to any other alternatives.
With PCs, can I get bulk discount for 15 pieces? Assembled or built?
Are used systems (2-3 years old) dependable?

Last edited:

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
This is tough. A cheap LCD monitor + Local keyboard and mouse should cost 4.5-5k and your budget per PC is approx 7k. That leaves you with 2.5k per PC Look at the Raspberry Pi or something similar (not sure if it can run flash though). Otherwise you can only get second hand PCs in this amount. As for servers and thin/zero clients, it depends on the price you're getting them at. After the Monitor, Keyboard and mouse, you've got approx 2.5*15=37.5k for 15 clients and 1 server.

ACidBaseD

ACid DrinkeR
Raspberry Pi was not available at lamington a few week ago. [Friend Wanted it for a project]

Your budget is very tight. Try increasing it. Also Netbeans is not a light ide. You are looking for a text editor something like Notepad++

icebags

Technomancer
Hi, use kvm switch (i think they are called that) to share a single dektop machine to create multiple terminals with seperate monitor and mouse/keyboard.
Use a single multi core fx6100 with good amount of ram - 16 gb or more to create upto 5 clients.

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
KVMs are not terminals but quite opposite of them. They allow accessing multiple computers (one at a time) from a single set of kb, mouse and monitor. Useful in data-centres etc.

Anybody has experience with used systems (~5000 hr use) ?

icebags

Technomancer
KVMs are not terminals but quite opposite of them. They allow accessing multiple computers (one at a time) from a single set of kb, mouse and monitor. Useful in data-centres etc.

Anybody has experience with used systems (~5000 hr use) ?

yah u're right. i was talking about thin clients, but knew the term kvm only. *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/43.gif

the software u will be using are linux compatible ? cause its very easy to share a single machine as multiple desktops by mean of VNC.

first u install the vnc server in the main powerful desktop machine, then start the vnc server service with numbers for the required number of clients u need. like :

vncserver :1 -geometry 800x600 -depth 24
vncserver :2 -geometry 800x600 -depth 24
---------
---------
vncserver :9 -geometry 800x600 -depth 24
etc.

with the client program u will be able to use 9 individual desktops from 9 different clients. i am not sure if vnc can work the same way in windows, because i have only seen it sharing a single desktop in windows.

u need a thin client for each of ur student.
order raspbery pi with casing from online: Raspberry Pi Single Board Computer , Model B , MADE IN UK
or buy intel atom combo boards locally @ ~3.5k each + casing & la cheapa smps.
or buy some thin clients like these. donno how reliable they are. Thin Client / PC Splitter / Net Computer Cloud Computer PC SHARER PS2 Vr SKU#103 | eBay

i think rasberry pi is ur best solution.

Top Bottom