nav problems in 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

technomodel

Journeyman
in a machine of my friends, some idiot made a faulty installaion of nav and now it does not give any option for uninstalling.i cant uininstall it from the 'add-remove programs'. neither does it function, as there is no exe file. I've tried to remove it by deleting the entrry from the registry, from the boot path, and disabling it at startup. but it is still detected during bootup and a missing file screen is shown before 98 is loaded. I cant install a fresh copy as the existing installation does not allow it. i cant format as he has a lot of important files that he has not backed up, and cant as he has no writer. also formatting means he will have to reinstall the thousands of softwares he has installed over the years. heeeeeeeelp!!!
ps: I have thought of backing up the existing regstry in a separate partition and reinstalling windows, and then reimporting it. But will that save the softwares? and even if it does, it will also have the entry for the norton already installed, and so it will probably cause problems again.
GIVE ME IDEAS, ANY, ABOUT HOW I CAN REMOVE THE NAV AND INSTALL A FRESH COPY.

VD17

Journeyman
try running a setup of a later version of NAV... if it isnt already the latest... think that'll work...

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
did dem too. no help. if i remove nav program folder, machine does'nt boot. if i try installing a later version, it detects a previous installation and aborts. before aborting, it shows ablank dialogue box, i mean a blank dialogue box. Something like this.
*localhost/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Apollo/Desktop/untitledcopy.jpg
and i have to reboot.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
i had the same problem boss.made a copy of registry and installed win 98se on another partition but the softwares did not work. i had no choice but to sacrifice all the softwares and go for formatting.

svenkat83

Journeyman
Remove all the Folder relating to NAV from Program files and Common Shared folders.Then go to registry Editor and remove all the keys relating to Symantec and Norton.Run a complete scan using some Registry cleaners and try installing it.
This happened with me and the above procedure solved my problems.Best of Luck! :)

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
but some of the nav files just refuse to get deleted, dont they ?
stating some protection error ?

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
thanx mates. I'll try these out and inform u of the result. Actually i spent about 2 hrs with his machine the last day and so I dont know how many experiments he'll allow me to perform :)

EinSTeiN

Broken In
i had the same problem.
use system mechanic for problems of this type. Use the invalid uninstall remover and the registry cleaner in sstem mechanic. and delete all registry entries related to norton like line update, nav etc.
now reboot and try installing norton now it shud work.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
do u mean to say that only the entries r to b removed ?
1.pls tell me whether the nav folder should b deleted or not?
2.if not then then will the new installation will ne successful or not as the nav 04 cd contains defns only till aug 03 and my current defns r up to date?

OP
T

technomodel

Journeyman
guys i tried the methods suggested by you and i think i successfully removed all entries of nav in the mqchine, as it does not prompt for it during bootup. but because of some reason, i cant install systemworks freshly. it shows strange error message and exits. i include creenshot of the error. i had to divide it into two parts.
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/technomodel/new-2.jpg
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/technomodel/new-1.jpg
the blank screen actually extends from the top of the screen to the bootom. tell me what i should do now. i have made repeated scans of the registry with both regcleaner and system mechanic and found no errors. i manually searched out and deleted all entries from the registry related to symantec, norton or rescue. also searched for such files from the hard disk and manually deleted them. but nothing's working. :( :( :(

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
the only reason for this cud be that the systemworks cd is a pirated copy. theres no way it can be reinstalled again without formatting the drive. u can get a copy of a higher version and installing that . it may work

kronos

Right off the assembly line
1) use regcleaner & remove all traces of symantec, norton from installed programs
2) dive into reistry using regedit & search for the missing file which it detects during startup & delete the entry.
3) remove all traces of installation from program files, common files, etc.
4) There is no need to remove LIVEUPDATE from folder or registry. Pls leave it alone, if u r thinking of reinstalling NAV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom