n96 shocking battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy325

Right off the assembly line
hi there new to the forum and noticed a few with the same issues as me. Had my n96 just over a week now and the battery life is awful!! From fully charged leave it on standby and its dead and turned off in less than 6 hours!!! Use it for calls and video and it lasts 2 hours! It's almost constantly on charge.

Not a previous n95 owner but i do have an n73 and that lasts nearlly a week on standby and a full day of use. Why is this nokia n96 battery so useless or is my battery faulty?:(

ultimategpu

AMD & ATI FANBOY
i think u never used the N95 it seems ,, its more than N95 --------->i got N95 within two months i sold out --------> try to switch off some options in the setting which is what i did it in N95 so only manage to keep it for 2 months--------> if u want ill post it !!!

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
it has the stupidly engineered 950mah battery..just like in N95... cant help it...

some decisions by these nokia guys are totally unjustifiable from user experience view

OP
A

andy325

yes would like some info on turning certain features off. The battery drain is terrible, even my very first mobile phone 14 years ago wasn't this bad and battery technology wasn't as good as it is now.

I was thinking of taking a visit to the retailer and trying another battery, as i find it strange some members are getting good battery life and some are not. The nokia web site specs this battery @ 200 hrs standby time and i'm onlt getting 6hrs 7 at the most on standby.

I am running a wireless network at home, so does anyone think it may be because it is constantly refreshing the wlan scan every 10 minutes? I've tried to turn this function off but it only gives option of 1 5 and 10 minute scans.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Turn off stuff like wi-fi, bluetooth, always on GPRS etc. Then go to Settings>Phone>Network>Network mode and set it to 'GSM'. Also see if there are any unnecessary apps running in the background. Press and hold the Menu key and then press C to terminate them.

Also remember a new phone has lower battery life. It takes a few charge-discharge cycles for the battery to reach it's full capacity. A couple of weeks later you'll find your battery lasting longer. However if it doesn't then your battery is probably faulty and you might want to get it replaced.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Not really, there have been many reports of patheitc battery life coming from the N96. Only symbianworld ow whoever gave that awesome review could get so much out of that phone, else its a complete wreck. I suggest you turn off wifi and check, if the problem persists, consider an exchange.

subir12

Broken In
I agree with Krazy.

i also bought n96 a couple of weeks bck, initially it didn't give me a very gud back up but then i realized that i was using too many apps together :(

.. dat's wht mst ppl tend 2 do..
i put it on charge for the entire night and then next day used it at a stretch

watched 10 music videos, browsed the net for atleast 3 hrs, clicked abt 20 photos, made 5 videos fr approx abt 2 mins each, checked my mails, played two titles on n-gage.. and i was still left with charge. all this took me 5-6 hrs..

.. another thing, i must mention is that n96 has feature pack2 OS which lets you see how many apps ur running at a time.

u can click on options and select show open apps, you can open apps from their directly or close them. this is gud for multitasking and also keeping a tab on how many u apps ur running at a time!

mayur.nvk

Broken In
Battery life: one word - IMPRESSED. I took the phone off charge at 6:30 this morning, 16.5 hours later the low battery warning has just come on, during this time:
i) Approx 1 Hour playing YouTube Videos using the S60 browser through 3.5G
ii) Approx 1 Hour general Web Surfing using both Wifi and 3.5G
iii) Approx 1 hour mucking about with settings and navigating menus, etc.
iv) Setup Profimail and synced my IMAP account, 3,200 Emails, approx 400MB using Wifi, 3.5G and GPRS!
v) Downloaded the AAS Podcast, approx 20MB directly on the N96, and played the file using a stereo Bluetooth headset

*www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/7968_First_impressions_of_the_Nokia.php

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
.. another thing, i must mention is that n96 has feature pack2 OS which lets you see how many apps ur running at a time.

u can click on options and select show open apps, you can open apps from their directly or close them. this is gud for multitasking and also keeping a tab on how many u apps ur running at a time!

This feature was there since Nokia 7610. Earlier you had to press and hold the Menu key to access the Task manager. In the FP2 the procedure is the same, but now you only see the icons without their names in a grid view. They've also added the short cut to Task manager in the options menu. That's to make sure that people will be using it more often.

sangha

What are u talking abt. I got N95-1 and it lasts for more than 2 days if dont play with it. and it last almost a day when charged fully and having used it quite a lot like music and egprs and calls.

OP
A

andy325

It's the n96 we are talking about on here and i was concerned about it 5 - 6 some times 7 hour battery life.

Anyway an update to the situation i took the phone back during last week and they replaced the phone and battery under warranty. Brought it home set it up and charged it as i did with the previous phone, and it was fully charged by 3 o'clock.

The amazing thing! The phone still had a full charge by the following morning after being on all evening and night and still didn't need a charge the following night after a lot of use during the day and evening.

It seems as though nokia have a problem with some of these n96 phones which is why we are posting on these forums about it.

My advice, if you can, have the phone replaced under your warranty and explain that it's because it not living up to the nokia spec of nearlly 200 hours standby time.

I hope this helps others

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hey i own a N82..& to save battery life..do the following:

1) Turn-off icon animation
2) Turn-off Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
3) Use less time 4 power-saver such as 10-15secs also same for light-off mode...
4) Use GSM mode & not Dual-MOde in network connections
5) Use Nokia's Default themes & not the 3rd party themes
6) Put the screen brightness 2 low...
7) Turn-off the preview of clicked-images or videos
8. Turn-off flash while taking pictures in full-daylight
9) Use the multimedia key(it is in N82) 2 access music,pictures,videos,n-gage etc.

Remember: the more no-times u press the keypads the more ur battery will drain :D

This feature was there since Nokia 7610. Earlier you had to press and hold the Menu key to access the Task manager. In the FP2 the procedure is the same, but now you only see the icons without their names in a grid view. They've also added the short cut to Task manager in the options menu. That's to make sure that people will be using it more often.

Hahahahahahahehehe :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom