My Sata HDD Beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyde

Broken In
I have a strange issue with the sata hdd that i bought recently. i formatted it installed windows xp. it worked fine for a week and after that it started beeping. i got it replaced.

the replaced hdd also worked fine for 2 days and again it started beeping. Seagate replaced my 120GB Sata drive with 160 GB today. the drive use to beep again. but after restarting it two or three times it works again.

My system config goes like this:

P4 3 Ghz
Intel 101GCC2 motherboard
512 MB DDR2
160 GB HDD
DVD RW Asus
DVD ROM Sony

plz help me guys really worried for the HDD

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
are u sure it is the drive beeping.. must be the mobo's speaker..

bTW it could be due to bad SMPS.. get a new one or get it checked...

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
hey, my PATA one also beeps, its Seagate barracuda 7200rpm, and it produces a clicking sound too, and sometimes my win2000 shows an error that boot device unaccessible, but it corrects after sometime, and recently the access to explorer and data has also been slowed down, and i want to ask one question, in the IDE 80 conductor of the PATA Hdd, is there a 1mm2(1 millimetre square area) of wire that is not present at all? as there is a kind of 1mm width 'hole' in my cable

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
thetopcyborg said:
hey, my PATA one also beeps, its Seagate barracuda 7200rpm, and it produces a clicking sound too, and sometimes my win2000 shows an error that boot device unaccessible, but it corrects after sometime, and recently the access to explorer and data has also been slowed down, and i want to ask one question, in the IDE 80 conductor of the PATA Hdd, is there a 1mm2(1 millimetre square area) of wire that is not present at all? as there is a kind of 1mm width 'hole' in my cable

This means the disk if failing. BACK UP NOW!!!! You will have to take it to the data recovery center if the disk fails completely. BACK UP NOW!!!!!!!!!

Sand man

Broken In
hyde said:
I have a strange issue with the sata hdd that i bought recently. i formatted it installed windows xp. it worked fine for a week and after that it started beeping. i got it replaced.

the replaced hdd also worked fine for 2 days and again it started beeping. Seagate replaced my 120GB Sata drive with 160 GB today. the drive use to beep again. but after restarting it two or three times it works again.

My system config goes like this:

P4 3 Ghz
Intel 101GCC2 motherboard
512 MB DDR2
160 GB HDD
DVD RW Asus
DVD ROM Sony

plz help me guys really worried for the HDD

tried using new sata cables?

OP
H

hyde

Broken In
thanx for the replies....

when my hdd beeps what i do is turn off the power and just reseat the power and data cable. and boot the system it works fine. but sometimes while doing some work it beeps. and then windows freezes....

i am worried is my motherboard bad. cos i got my hdd replaced twice

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
seagate sata drives have probs .. i have had lots of them ..

now i have changed my psu to cooler master one .. lets see .. if psu was the prob ..

same probs as u .. i have faced .. changed data cords .. power cords .. now i changed my psu ..

back up ur data now.. it can fail any time..

seagate should do something abt it .. definetly some prob with their sata hdds ..

Geforce

Journeyman
BINGO !!

I have the same problem, system works fine for 2-3 weeks but then my seagate 200gb hdd beeps and the system freezes, but i HAVE found where the problem is.

Its the SATA cable.

Fistly, the SATA cable we get are not insulated and sata signals get lost very easily with electromagnetic external disturbances within the system.

If there is a slight kink (90 degree turn) in the cable it has high chances of signal loss (found all this after visiting several forums) and SATA drives unlike PATA drives don't replenish (from corrupt data signal) themselves without a system restart :-(.

Make it as straight as possible. Currently i have done so.

Getting a high quality insulated SATA cable will completely erase the problem, i m pretty sure.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Geforce said:
BINGO !!

I have the same problem, system works fine for 2-3 weeks but then my seagate 200gb hdd beeps and the system freezes, but i HAVE found where the problem is.

Its the SATA cable.

Fistly, the SATA cable we get are not insulated and sata signals get lost very easily with electromagnetic external disturbances within the system.

If there is a slight kink (90 degree turn) in the cable it has high chances of signal loss (found all this after visiting several forums) and SATA drives unlike PATA drives don't replenish (from corrupt data signal) themselves without a system restart :-(.

Make it as straight as possible. Currently i have done so.

Getting a high quality insulated SATA cable will completely erase the

problem, i m pretty sure.

and why then other hdds dont have same problem as seagate .. i have used wd , maxtor , hitachi as well as samsung .. same capacity .. same sata 2 interface drives in the same position with the same data and power cable with the same psu .. and guess what ..

they dont have any prob with it ..

why then only seagate hdds keep beeping .. is a question to me ..

suman2005

Broken In
Geforce said:
If there is a slight kink (90 degree turn) in the cable it has high chances of signal loss

Unless you use right angled SATA cables :)

check this page for the right angled SATA cables....

*www.satasite.com/sata-cables-internal.htm#one-right

Anyone come across right angled cables anywhere in India ??

Geforce

Journeyman
suman2005 said:
Unless you use right angled SATA cables :)

check this page for the right angled SATA cables....

*www.satasite.com/sata-cables-internal.htm#one-right

Anyone come across right angled cables anywhere in India ??

I am talking about a kink in the cable not the connector. So basically this twist is not that we want.

Regarding the SATA cable, do you have any idea about insulated SATA cables ?

OP
H

hyde

Broken In
thanx for the replies will let you know after i get some good sata cables and a PSU.... thanx again to all of you guys

OP
H

hyde

Broken In
and can plz anybody tell me where can i get high quality SATA cables ... which will not lead to signal loss.... anyways i am going to try my pc with 500 watt PSU....

Rollercoaster

i am still unable to understand how a drive "Beeps".
i have seen the insides of a lot of drives and there is nothing there to make electronic sound. only mechenical sounds can come from a HDD.

are u sure it is a BEEP not a SCREECH sound.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Rollercoaster said:
i am still unable to understand how a drive "Beeps".
i have seen the insides of a lot of drives and there is nothing there to make electronic sound. only mechenical sounds can come from a HDD.

are u sure it is a BEEP not a SCREECH sound.

----------------------------

dont worry..

if u have seagate hdd .. then u will soon know .. whether its electronic or mechanical ..

Rollercoaster

i have been using seagate for the past 14years.... from the time they had 640MB as mainstream hdd. btu never heard of BEEPS

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Rollercoaster said:
i have been using seagate for the past 14years.... from the time they had 640MB as mainstream hdd. btu never heard of BEEPS
----------------------------
buddy , i have used 15 seagate pata drives before this .. never had any single problem ..

i am saying this cos i had lots of prob with seagate .. and not a single one with any other sata drive .. even go check some forums .. seems like seagate failour rate is big.. with their sata drives ..

Third Eye

gooby pls
I don't heard that HDD beeps.
are you sure HDD beep,maybe the mobo or processor beeps.try ears contact with HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom