My PC is dead !

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Fan is spinning , both processor fan and graphics card fan.

Lan LED not glowing. Monitor goes to standby as soon as I start the PC.

Tried removing graphics card, same result, no display.

Tried removing all HDDs, same result, no display.

Tried removing RAM too, same result, no display. Tried swapping RAM too, same result, no display.

Removed everything, same result, no display.

Is my PC dead ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Pull the board out of the cabinet, and place on non-conductive surface and try. Try the usual CMOS reset too. Could be dead GPU.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yeah, pulled it out. CMOS reset done too (removed battery). Checked on onboard GPU too, still same thing.

Once strange thing noticed is that the CPU fan starts spinning as soon as I power on the UPS (APC).

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
PSU is Corsair VX 550. I'll check that in another system then or is there a way to check PSU without setting it up on another system ?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
^Try searching for a PSU tester , like this one over here. Haven't used one, so can't vouch for how effective it would be. For surety's sake you will prolly need a tester that shows the voltage as well.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
What's your weather been like recently? Have you been having bad weather for some time? Do you keep the insides of your CPU clean?

A combination of dust and high humidity can cause a lot of problems. You could try leaving your CPU in the sun for several hours. Let it cool down and then try again.

You could also try fitting your RAMs in another computer.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
If possible do these too-
1 properly refit the power cable which comes from UPS TO PSU
2 Alternate hdd's till pc starts working.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Then either the PSU or the board. Gone.

PSU is fine working fine on this system.

^Try searching for a PSU tester , like this one over here. Haven't used one, so can't vouch for how effective it would be. For surety's sake you will prolly need a tester that shows the voltage as well.
Not a quick option, will have to buy.

Refit the proccesor and the fan.

I have it sometimes. There should'nt be anything wrong with the pc.
Done that, still same problem.

What's your weather been like recently? Have you been having bad weather for some time? Do you keep the insides of your CPU clean?

A combination of dust and high humidity can cause a lot of problems. You could try leaving your CPU in the sun for several hours. Let it cool down and then try again.

You could also try fitting your RAMs in another computer.
Tropical dry. Cleaned everything. Tried again today not working.
Will put it under sunshine tomorrow.

If possible do these too-
1 properly refit the power cable which comes from UPS TO PSU
2 Alternate hdd's till pc starts working.
Done that. Atleast BIOS should be displayed. But no display (either onboard gfx or dedicated Gfx)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
As you already tried everything,
try=
1 one last recconnect of every wire
2 alternate ram

I think you should take it to a shop :cry: :(

Tech&ME

Banned
Your mobo has fried!! this exactly happened with me also, with my gigabyte845 mobo long back!!

Just change the mobo and u are good to go.

PS: don't put any computer part in the sunshine!! btw.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Your mobo has fried!! this exactly happened with me also, with my gigabyte845 mobo long back!!

Just change the mobo and u are good to go.
That's not 100% certain. A bad mobo is certainly one possibility and I'm not ruling it out either, but having the same symptoms as yours is no guarantee that the cause is the same.

During many years of experience in electronics and computers, I've come across many problems caused by dust and moisture. Sometimes the moisture is lodged firmly in some of the tiny spaces between the pins of ICs and copper tracks and the only cure is to dry out everything completely.

PS: don't put any computer part in the sunshine!! btw.
That's when it's powered on and is generating heat itself. While it's off, there's no harm in exposing it to sunlight. Assuming, of course, that the computer is NOT covered with some insulating material that will trap heat and let the temperature build up excessively.

Tech&ME

Banned
That's not 100% certain. A bad mobo is certainly one possibility and I'm not ruling it out either, but having the same symptoms as yours is no guarantee that the cause is the same.
I am also assuming that his mobo might have been fried! Not very sure abt it either!!:|

During many years of experience in electronics and computers, I've come across many problems caused by dust and moisture. Sometimes the moisture is lodged firmly in some of the tiny spaces between the pins of ICs and copper tracks and the only cure is to dry out everything completely.

That's when it's powered on and is generating heat itself. While it's off, there's no harm in exposing it to sunlight. Assuming, of course, that the computer is NOT covered with some insulating material that will trap heat and let the temperature build up excessively.

Still not convinced with your logic!! In fact, never heard this type of suggestion before.:shock:

I think a bag of silica will do the trick for moisture !!:smile:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Still not convinced with your logic!!
OK, that's your privilege. Nice to have a bit of friendly argument with one of the older members.
In fact, never heard this type of suggestion before.:shock:
Not surprising. Hmmm, how can I put this without sounding arrogant? In the course of my experience in electronics and computers, I've developed some tricks and techniques of my own that you are not likely to find written down anywhere. This is one of them.

I think a bag of silica will do the trick for moisture !!:smile:
Silica gel is fine for absorbing moisture, but that moisture has to be in the air or otherwise in contact with the silica. Moisture that's lodged in the tiny crevices in miniaturised electronic devices takes a long time to evaporate.

The best thing would be a heated vacuum chamber, but few of us have access to vacuum chambers! Sunlight and open air is the next best thing. Sometimes I use a hair dryer, but it needs care to avoid overheating something.

Yeah, my mobo is fried.
Sorry about that. Have you confirmed it? How?

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Sorry about that. Have you confirmed it? How?

One of the transistor for near fan power connector on mobo got burned a few weeks back and I guess that due to this the power to the southbridge stopped or so.

I have tried testing everything. Mobo is dead.

Top Bottom