My LG Optimus 2X review

okay, many of you might remember the utter confusion that I was in for buying a new phone.

Finally I decided to stretch my budget by 3.5k and make no compromises - so got LG Optimus 2x from letsbuy using a coupon code for 23,5k. Been using it for 4-5 days now. Here's the review:

1. Box Contents
This basically has everything-charger, USB cable, HDMI cable, pretty decent in-ear earphones, case, and the screen guard already fixed onto the screen. Guess I wont have to buy anything else (except 32GB SD card) for this one!

2. Build Quality, Screen
Superb. Looks great and feels sturdy. Not an enormous size like S2 or Sensation. Screen is awesome and really feels amazing when set to full brightness, but less than half brightness setting is enough. Pretty responsive.

3. UI
Great UI, not better than HTC Sense but still, I'll say better than TouchWiz. Graphics and HD videos look great and there is no lag while seeking Full HD videos. Phonebook, music player, radio etc are all typical Android stuff (which means good). One special mention should go to how the apps are organised. Your downloads are under a different label, so its v. easy to identify the apps that you'll want most of the time. Some LG widgets are also good, but not something amazing.
I dont use Facebook/Twitter apps made by LG, rather use the standard ones from Android market, feel it has more functionality.
On-screen keyboard is pretty responsive and thanks to the screen estate, there is rarely a typo.

4. Audio Quality
One of the most important things for me. It sounds amazing when connected to an external speaker. I actually acted as the DJ in one of the parties yesterday and this thing played music for a long time, with no battery or audio issues.
When connected to the headset, it is still great, but not as amazing as external. If you set the equalizer presets to something like "Rock" or "Bass", it sounds good then (I am saying this since I listen to heavy metal). But still, I am happy with the audio quality. I compared the quality with a friend's Desire S and O2X pwns it without even trying :mrgreen:
The audio quality became good to great when I connected it to a friend's Sennheiser earphones.

5. Camera
Still pics are awesome. Flash is pretty capable. The camera UI is simple, but many technical options confuse you if you go deep. Full HD videos are good, but I cant comment more on that since I dont have an HD TV. It looks good on my laptop screen though!

6. Battery
Another major consideration. Simply put - great battery life, which exceeded my expectations ;) With all the updates running in the background, I got a full day (13 hrs) of battery backup, with 20% still remaining. With updates off, it gave me 14 hrs and ~40% remaining. Good by Android standards I believe...correct me if I am wrong.

7. Gaming
No lag at all, excellent graphics output. Have nothing more to say since I havent played much on this one.

My verdict (if it matters! :mrgreen:)
Excellent buy for the price, no apparent problems, great overall performance. Highly recommended! :thumbs:

P.S. - Contact me if you have any specific questions :)

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
Nicely summed up, but some pics would have made it complete.

nice review :smile: if you can, add a few pics.

Here are a few pics...
*www.flickr.com/photos/67509306@N04/6145004628/sizes/l/in/photostream/
*www.flickr.com/photos/67509306@N04/6145000690/sizes/l/in/photostream/
*www.flickr.com/photos/67509306@N04/6144446401/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Did your tried playing 1080p mkv via 3rd party player like 'Mobo Player'?

Nope I didn't. I used the default player.

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
okay, many of you might remember the utter confusion that I was in for buying a new phone.
No need for 3rd party video player..they do not have HWA and the cpu will stressed to produce lot of heat.
Most imp.question,did you root it?

When connected to the headset, it is still great, but not as amazing as external. If you set the equalizer presets to something like "Rock" or "Bass", it sounds good then (I am saying this since I listen to heavy metal). :)
You have a long way to go..ditch that 3rd class default player,install power amp and equalizer from the market and set it up according to your taste.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Here are a few pics...
*www.flickr.com/photos/67509306@N04/6145004628/sizes/l/in/photostream/
*www.flickr.com/photos/67509306@N04/6145000690/sizes/l/in/photostream/
*www.flickr.com/photos/67509306@N04/6144446401/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Nope I didn't. I used the default player.

You linked it to your photostream. Link it to particular images to make it work.

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
Pics...

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

You can click on the image to view larger size. IMO, the photo quality is pretty good...HTCs can't compare at least! :mrgreen:

kiranm516

Revolutionary
Hey, how is the volume of earpiece, loudspeaker and is it good enough for calls in noisy environments

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
I am pretty satisfied with the volume of the earpiece and loudspeaker. Calls in noisy environments were not a problem.

However, the volume from the Radio is barely audible through loudspeakers, I don't know why. Install some app like volume boost to fix this.

Top Bottom