My Latest OC [Overclock]

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Hey Mohit,
Well i was on stock cooler,nothing fancy,it was a wild attmpt to check the CPU scalability.

It was ROCK stable @ 4 GHz on stock cooler.

Although at load the CPU fan scared me...I had a constant feeling,it will tear apart the mobo..lol

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hmm some more details .. which mobo and ram ?

and ya will a thermalright XP 90 be a good cooler for a 630 ?

Kniwor

Learner
mohit said:
overclocking will not void ur warranty as their is no way the companies can find out at what speeds u were running ur cpu.. so enjoy ocing :)

well actually the companies can find out of the processor is overclocked.... but if they start doing that with every processor that is RMA'd the costs will be too high... replacing is a cheaper alternative....

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
@ Mohit,

board used - Asus P5WD2 Premium
RAM used - Transcend 512 x 2 DDR533 sticks [based on Samsung chips,clocked 400 MHz @ 5-4-4-10 timings]

@ Kniwor,i dont think how they can make it out.Generally current crop of chips have multi locked so increasing FSB/HTT and vcore is the only way.Please prove me wrong.. :p

prankie

D PrankMaster
@darklord
Thanks for ur advice, dude..
I did a minor OC of 112Mhz from the bios... Now my sempron's clock speed is 1512Mhz..
one question.. after oc'ing when i run cpu-z, it shows fluctuation in corespeed, and voltage...
corespeed fluctuates frm 1511.9 to 1512.2Mhz
and voltage 1.392 to 1.408V...
is it normal?????

Kniwor

Learner
prankie said:
@darklord
Thanks for ur advice, dude..
I did a minor OC of 112Mhz from the bios... Now my sempron's clock speed is 1512Mhz..
one question.. after oc'ing when i run cpu-z, it shows fluctuation in corespeed, and voltage...
corespeed fluctuates frm 1511.9 to 1512.2Mhz
and voltage 1.392 to 1.408V...
is it normal?????

yeah it is normal........

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
darklord said:
Huh???
no one interested in overclocking in here ?

That is so sad and humiliating for a tech forum.

Anyways..

Hey darklord i am interested in overclocking......but there r two reasons

:arrow: the pc is form my dads money so do not wanna burn that proc
untill i get with my earned money
:arrow: i do not have complete knowledge of OCing......and half knowledge is dangerous :wink:

But soon i will beposting here when i OC my proc in future

cyrux

In the zone
There are less chances that you burn the processor, most of the times the mobo gets burnt.

Yes ur point is right. You really dont want to OC when u dont have some spare moeny ready

Kniwor

Learner
well actually there are more reasons.....

this is an india forum...... now
india is a hot country so more heating problwms with overclocking....

until now most boards were budget that had very little or no overclocking features in them, only recently have good boards started to be in mainstream market....

intel has been more prominent, ind intel boards had even less features....

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well wizrulz,
If done properly and methodically with proper setup then OCing can be trouble free and enjoyable.

Please post your Rig details.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
i know that my rig cannot be overclocked :twisted: .....i delibrately bought this as i did not wanted the temptation to OCing, take over me.. :)

CONFIG
:arrow: AMD 64 bit 3000+
:arrow: MSI RS480
:arrow: 512 transcend ram (400Mhz)

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@wizrulz
u have an excellent rig for ocing .. amazing processor and u might be extremely lucky with that ram if those turn out to be Samsung UCCC chips .. only problem is your mobo ...anyways when u decide to overclock .. u can jst change ur mobo and njoy .. this way ull have a spare mobo too if u screw up things :D

cyrux

In the zone
How can we know that the ram sticks have samsung have uccc chips ? Do we have to open the cabinet and remove the ram and see or is there some easier method ?

mohit

The Hardware Labs
cyrux said:
How can we know that the ram sticks have samsung have uccc chips ? Do we have to open the cabinet and remove the ram and see or is there some easier method ?

no easier method my friend .. u will have to see the ram in ur hands .. if those are samsung uccc chips or hynix d43 chips on a Brain Power PCB then u r very lucky as these rams have some GREAT overclocking potential.

OP
darklord

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Slight overclocking is possible with MSI RS480 chipset board.

U need to use Clockgen but then the effort is not worth it.

As the amount you can OC is far from appreciable.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
This is what i get on CPU-z
So till what extent can i stretch the proc speed if i get hands on another mobo :twisted: (which mobo is better :?: )

*img408.imageshack.us/img408/104/cpuid8ab.th.png

The ram speed also shows some other speed in Mhz, it should be 400Mhz na??? :roll:

*img295.imageshack.us/img295/9895/cpuid22ts.th.png]

Actually i dunno much abt it, enlighten me...... :oops:

*img295.imageshack.us/img295/6778/cpuid35co.th.png]

how to OC ram chip??? mine has some PCX chips on it, transcend made in taiwan ....so any comments??? :lol:

Kniwor

Learner
well why dont u generate the HTML report in cpu-z and post it here.....

the ram speed is 200Mhz which is right..... it's dual channel so it's effectively 400Mhz.....

about ur question on how to OC ram chip.... well...

everything in most board derive their clock speeds from the clock generator on the board....
when u up the base clock on the board.... the clock speeds of otehr components increase based on that, so if u have a base clock of 200Mhz, and the pocessor is 1800Mhz, means it is using a multiplier of 9 to get it's speed....

ex if u increase ur clock speed to 250Mhz the processor speed will be
250*9 = 2250Mhz

and ur ram speed will become 500Mhz...

this will also increase, the PCI bus speed, the PCI-E bus speed, the SATA bus speed, since everything is derived from the base clock...

but most board manufacturers these days have locked the SATA, and PCI bus speeds because a HDD cannot stand overclocking.... and PCI bus speed increase often causes instability, and hinder the overclocking process........
from my personal experience i have seen that sata cannot stand a clock speed jump over 20Mhz.... which is pathetic....

anyhow coming back....
if ur ram is unable of overclock then u use dividers to keep the ram speed low and overclock the procy.... so in short u overclock the components to different levels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom