My HDD has gone slow, I think, what to do?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
For past few weeks I think that my HDD is performing very slowly, it's a WD 1TB Black drive, running Win 7 x64. Say when I boot up PC the HDD keeps loading a 27 GB torrent file I am downloading and it takes almost 5 minutes for that file to check under U Torrent, for that 5 minutes period other works also become very slow. It's irritating. I have tried defragmenting that partition but I don't if it was defragmented or not. I have 150 GB free space out of 800+ GB of that partition. Could I do something to make the drive run faster, or what's happening normal?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
27gb=27*1024=27648mb in 5 minutes(or 300 seconds) means 92.16MB/s read speed which is perfectly fine for 1tb wd black.
Caviar Black: WD's Performance 1TB HDD | silentpcreview.com
The averge read speed (90.6 MB/s)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
27gb=27*1024=27648mb in 5 minutes(or 300 seconds) means 92.16MB/s read speed which is perfectly fine for 1tb wd black.
Caviar Black: WD's Performance 1TB HDD | silentpcreview.com

I think it is perfectly fine with your HDD and if there is a firmware update kindly do it as it will increase the performance quite easily.

TheGibMaker

Level 9 Commissar
27 gigs do take time to check, esp. if you're using uTorrent, which is made as a lightweight client, not the most efficient one. change your client, and you will be fine. Hope this helps. :thumbs: Toodles!

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Thanks guys. I see that it's normal. Should have done the math by myself! But I don't see any firmware update option for the drive, in their site there's one for Portable drives but nothing for internal drives!
Also, which would be a good torrent client other than U Torrent, which will not be lightweight?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys. I see that it's normal. Should have done the math by myself! But I don't see any firmware update option for the drive, in their site there's one for Portable drives but nothing for internal drives!
Also, which would be a good torrent client other than U Torrent, which will not be lightweight?

vuze is very good.

Top Bottom