My Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

src2206

In the zone
Hi,
I use XP PRO (SP2) on a single user PC. When I open my computer it does not show my document -instead it shows "shared documents". Though other icons eg hard disks, floppy are appearing properly. The same problem occurs under "other places" in folder window. Though "my document" can be accessed fine through start menu my document icon.
Just as a bit of information, I moved "my document" from its default location to another non OS partition of the same physical drive.
Please help.

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
You can try re-enabling it using Tweak UI.Goto My Computer and then check "Files stored on this computer".

Download Tweak UI from here.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Ok I installed it but it did not show where it is installed. I found out one program under start?>all programs named powertoys for winXP. Under that I found tweak UI and ran that. The option was already checked. So it did mot helped :(.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Did you change any default System Settings? If not there is a possibility of some malicious program that's
doing the trick. Check your System for any Adware , Spyware. Also get the latest updates for your antivirus
& do a full System scan.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
I believe that I have changed some settings most probably using gpedit.msc or regedit. But can't remember what! :( Though i did that following some tips to quicken startup from a back issue of digit only.!
My system is clean.
thank you
So what's next?

sakumar79

Technomancer
Taken from *www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windowsxp/articles/73/1/My-Documents-folder-missing-in-My-Computer

When you open the My Computer screen and your Documents folder is missing but all the other users folders are there try this tweak.

STEP 1:

START > RUN > REGEDIT >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / DocFolderPaths

Once you click the DocFolderPaths folder you should see all the user's folders.

STEP 2:

Add a new string value

Value Name: your user name

Value Data: the path to your docs folder ( ex. C:\Documents and Settings\your docs folder )

Exit Registry editor and open my computer, your docs folder should now be visible.

Arun

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Thanks Arun,
It is successfull.
One more thing please: when any window is opened at the left pane it shows three sections - System Tasks, Other Places and Details. How can I show my documents folder in the Other Places? Presently it is showing 'shared documents'.
Please help

sakumar79

Technomancer
Use TweakUI (make sure it is the Tweak UI for WinXP). This is in the Common Dialogs, Places bar section of the menu. Select custom, set other entries same as existing and one entry by typing the location of the documents folder...

There is more info about this at *windowsxp.mvps.org/PlacesBar.htm with details of alternate methods...

Arun

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@sakumar79
I think he wanted to change the entries which appear in the common tasks (which appear in the left-side of folders) not the places of OPEN/SAVE dialog boxes. :)

The above mentioned trick will change the places which appear in left-side of OPEN/SAVE dialog boxes.

And afaik there is no way to customize those entries (which src2206 asked) in Common Tasks...

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
I think he wanted to change the entries which appear in the common tasks (which appear in the left-side of folders) not the places of OPEN/SAVE dialog boxes.
Right you are. Spot on. Really no way!? I think there must be way to tweak the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom