My core i7-920 and MSI x58 ECLIPSE review

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ ashu888ashu888
If you are going to connect the ups to the mains & the spike gurad to the one of the battery backup connector then your pc will be at risk as realden already told you. Coz
The entire pc will draw it's backup power from only one backup socket not distributing the load to other backup sockets. So the ups will also be at risk. So always connect your spike guard to the mains power outlet of your home & plug the ups in the spike guard. Connect all of your components to the ups battery backup socket.

@ realdan

Power supply & lcd not alwys comes with 2 sets of power cables.
One of my lcd doesn't comes with 3 pin 240V power plug. It comes only with 110V 3 pin power plug ( the one used in USA ) so I've to use another 3 pin 240V power plug but the second lcd comes with 3 pin 240V power plug.

The cm460w psu I bought also comes only with one 3 pin 240V power plug.

& what if he wants to plug in the speaker & a adsl odem on the ups. Though they are two pin but I don't think they will fit in the apc ups.

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
im looking for it too.... Cant seem to find it anywhere.....btw that i dont think that crazypc.com is an indian site..

NOW AT 4Ghz

*img15.imageshack.us/img15/2231/capturedpy.jpg

*valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=522885

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
from what i found from apc..
the UPS concerned has IEC 320 C13 (female) output connection
*img510.imageshack.us/img510/3953/conniec320c13.gif

And the spike guard..powersupply...lcd 5amp 3 pin round plug you are taking about must be the round type which is show below
*img214.imageshack.us/img214/1671/tlpt5.th.jpg

are u concerned that the UPS might go berserk one day and fried your pc and lcd monitor so you are connecting the pc and lcd to the spike guard and then to the ups?

because if only protecting from spike in the mains..you might as well connect the spike guard to the mains..and then connect the UPS to the spikeguard...with a IEC 320 c14 plug from the UPS to the spike guard (the connection to the spikeguard end is your 5amps 3 pin round plug.

..the apc 800va i m using accept the 5amp 3 pin plug in the battery backup outlets..

i think these days powersupply or lcd came with two sets of power cables..at least it did in my case as far as i can remember..
the cables i m using could even be from an older computer...cant remember as i have cleared out the old memory:roll:
THanx for the explaination Realdan.. Really appreciate it brother.. :)

Well, now the problem is tat (as of now) the UPS (APC BACK UPS ES 500) is connected to the mains then the Spike guard is connected to the UPS and the LCD and CPU (3 pin plug is connected to the SPike guard..

in simple ways this way --> LCD+CPU (3 pin plug) and Router+Speaker (2 pin plug) connected to ------> SPike guard (3 pin plug, as mention by Realdan;s 3 pin plug) connected to -----> UPS (APC BACK UPS ES 500) 3 pin plug connected to -----> Mains
(i knw this is a wrong connection as taught to me by Realdan.. )
will change this today itself.. :)

ALso, as u said here ===>
you might as well connect the spike guard to the mains..and then connect the UPS to the spikeguard.
Now, the Spike guard's outlet plug is this one ----> (below)

So,connecting the Spike guard to the mains WONT be a problem.. : )

but wat shud be done , below..?? I mean if the UPS (SUA 1500 I )which is this one (below)
*img156.imageshack.us/img156/9020/d2b6e27750569170d3d877a.th.jpg
Has only this type of (below)
*img510.imageshack.us/img510/3953/conniec320c13.gif
Input Connector socket,

How to connect the Spike guard (which has my LCD, CPU, Router and Speakers) or the LCD+CPU (3 pin plug) into tat UPS's Input at the back ? :confused: I hope u got my question..

@ashu... True is thermalright ultra 120 extreme
Thanx for the update buddy, now i knw wat T.R.U.E really is.. :)

@ ashu888ashu888
So always connect your spike guard to the mains power outlet of your home & plug the ups in the spike guard. Connect all of your components to the ups battery backup socket.
yaa got ur point.. :)
But as i said tat if the UPS has this *img510.imageshack.us/img510/3953/conniec320c13.gif input socket connector and my LCD, CPU has this (3 pin connector)

How am i gonna connect that thing to the back of the UPS ??
& what if he wants to plug in the speaker & a adsl odem on the ups. Though they are two pin but I don't think they will fit in the apc ups.
Exactly.. :confused:
=======================
========================
==========================

I hv found this site realdan and topgear, maybe this sud solve our UPS connection problems, ---> www.showmecables.com/CPU-Power-Cords.html

I guess, we all hv a CPU cable wich has IEC 320 C13 (female) goin INTO the CPU and the other end has a 3pin (5 amp plug) goin into the spike guard/UPS for that matter

but wat we (especially I need is) a cable which has IEC 320 C13 (female) goin INTO the CPU and the other end has a IEC 320 C13 (male) goin into the APC UPS (SUA 1500 I )

the same cable for our LCD's also (one end
IEC 320 C13 (female) goin into the back of the LCD and other end IEC 320 C13 (male) goin into the APC UPS)
---------------

I think im right this time yaar.. :(

Last edited:
People I'm joining this i7 group in sometime,most probably 1-2 April but need some help here. My budget is 1.5L approx.
The rig that I've decided is:
Core i7 965 Extreme. Is there any better CPU coming out in near future to beat this one? Will I regret buying this in some months? Or 940 altogether?
I heard we can attain 965 speeds by OCing 940 a bit.

6GB DDR3. Which brand to buy? What FSB and all?

eVGA x58. What's the cost? Is there any better i7 mobo around?

nVidia GTX 295. Again which brand and is it worth buying?

1TB hard disk. Is WD okay? I already have 2 500 GB Seagate HDDs which I'll be using with my new rig.

A kickass cabby. Most probably nVidia.

Tell me a good PSU. I have Coolermaster real power pro 850 right now.

I'll be using my current LCD,speakers,keyboard,mouse,UPS. So,spending only on the cabinet.

My main purpose to pull out all the games on a 22" LCD getting 60 FPS +. :D:D
Thank You

Last edited:

vikrant333

Owner of Core i7
People I'm joining this i7 group in sometime,most probably 1-2 April but need some help here. My budget is 1.5L approx.
Core i7 965 Extreme. Is there any better CPU coming out in near future to beat this one? Will I regret buying this in some months? Or 940 altogether?

6GB DDR3. Which brand to buy? What FSB and all?

eVGA x58. What's the cost? Is there any better i7 mobo around?

nVidia GTX 295. Again which brand and is it worth buying?

1TB hard disk. Is WD okay? I already have 2 500 GB Seagate HDDs which I'll be using with my new rig.

A kickass cabby. Most probably nVidia.

Tell me a good PSU. I have Coolermaster real power pro 850 right now.

I'll be using my current LCD,speakers,keyboard,mouse,UPS. So,spending only on the cabinet.

My main purpose to pull out all the games on a 22" LCD getting 60 FPS +. :D:D
Thank You
U can attain but ur budget is large so that u will buy 965 xtreme

Processor-Intel corei7 965 =50000/-
MB- Asus x58 Rampage 2 xtreme=27000/-
Cabby- CM ATCS 840= 16500/-
Ram- Corsiar TR3X6G1333C9= 14000/-
HDD- WD black caviar 1TB= 7500/- (i think)
SMPS- 850w is sufficient if u have more money then go to Corsiar HX 1000w or more

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

even though u hv tat huge budget of 1.5L, it wont be too long wen u realise tat the budget jus CANNOT accomodate all ur stuff..tat too all high end.. :D believe me,

The components tat u see in my siggy, actually costs me Rs. 1.07L.... :D:D
--------------

So, u better go with i7 940, OC it and achieve speed of i7 965
----------------

Processor:Core i7-940 --------------------------------------> Rs. 25K

Mobo:Evga X58 ----------------------------------------------> Rs. 22.5K
(this is a gr8 OCing Mobo, but it supports only UPTO 12GB of RAM,
so, wat u can do is, u can also go for Asus P6T Rampage -II Extreme wich supports Max. 24 GB of RAM.., DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066)

RAM:Corsair TW3X4G-1600C9DHX (2 X 2GB DDR3 1333MhZ) -----------------> Rs.11.8K

PSU:Tagan BZ1100 (this is a monster PSU wich will support 3 way SLi or CrossfireX easily) ---------------------------> Rs. 14.1K

GPU:Evga GTX280 SSC Edition -------------------->Rs. 22.5K
(or wait wait wiat... :D:D, gtx3xx will be coming soon, well, maybe NOT tat soon until May-June 09) so if u want, u can wait for gtx3xx or go for 3xgtx280 SSC edition (believe me, this SSC=Super Super Clocked edition, is a monster..:D )

HDD:WD 1TB --------------------------------------> Rs.5.1K

CABINET: CM 690 (with side panel) ------------------------> Rs. 4.4K
(there is another cabinet, knowm as Nvidia edition, wich wil lcost u 18K if im not mistaken, so PLEASE as a reuqest, DO NOT blow ur money on that..)

UPS: APC SMART UPS-SUA1500I -----------------------------> Rs.16K
(perfectly supports Active PFC PSU wich is Tagan BZ1100 giving a pure sine wave o/p)
(we guys here topgear, realdan and me are stiill trying to figure how to make the connections here.. :( )

====================
====================

I hv found this site realdan and topgear, maybe this sud solve our UPS connection problems, ---> www.showmecables.com/CPU-Power-Cords.html

I guess, we all hv a CPU cable wich has IEC 320 C13 (female) goin INTO the CPU and the other end has a 3pin (5 amp plug) goin into the spike guard/UPS for that matter

but wat we (especially I need is) a cable which has IEC 320 C13 (female) goin INTO the CPU and the other end has a IEC 320 C13 (male) goin into the APC UPS (SUA 1500 I )

the same cable for our LCD's also (one end IEC 320 C13 (female) goin into the back of the LCD and other end IEC 320 C13 (male) goin into the APC UPS)

---------------

I think im right this time yaar..

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ ashu888ashu888 - Please mention your system as rig or comp. Don't CPU :p. That's really confusing sometime.

Yes the female connector will go into your PSU or LCD & the male connector will go into
the power socket of ups.

But I don't think the universal power connector will fit in the apc ups either coz look at the male ground pin of that universal power connector. It's kinda round type but the female power outlet of ups is kinda flat type.

*www.showmecables.com/catalog/thumbnails/401-00.jpg

but apc ups has this type power socket - look at the ground pin connector :

*www.apcmedia.com/resource/images/500/Back/D2B6E277-5056-9170-D3D877A0C4FA3C0D_pr.jpg

BTW, What type of power cable you got with the PSU I mean the pin type.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
ok boss, will say RIG from now on.. :D
--------------

Btw, the power cord tat i got with my PSU is a EU YP22 cord as seen here ---> *www.powersuppliesonline.co.uk/prod...plug-mains-lead-2-metre/yp22-yc12/default.htm

And, yes u are right, tat Round shaped Circular GND pin is of the US type.. :(
-------------

I think i'll hv to get a FLAT Type Male connector now, will be goin to the market to search for such a Universal power cord, i hope i'll get it.(for my LCD and Rig. connections).... :)

but, after tat, how will my 2 pin Router and Speaker will be connected to the back of the UPS ?? :confused:

wat can be a possible solution ?? :(:(
------------

HOpe realdan sees this thread... soooner than later and really late.. :(

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey fabler, whom are u saying nice rig ?? :D

If its me then thank you, coz the review is NOT written by me..it was amitash and the mobo (MSI Eclipse X58) which he used to write the review (in the starting pages) went kaput.. :D:D so he bought a new mobo same as mine (EVGA X58)... :)
-------------

fabler

Journeyman
Hey fabler, whom are u saying nice rig ?? :D

If its me then thank you, coz the review is NOT written by me..it was amitash and the mobo (MSI Eclipse X58) which he used to write the review (in the starting pages) went kaput.. :D:D so he bought a new mobo same as mine (EVGA X58)... :)
-------------

I'm sorry ... it was for OP..

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^:D thx man...
Dont get the 965EE its a total waste of cash...save it and get a 30" display and a GTX295 or the soon releasing HD4995x2 if it performs better....GTX295 on a 22" display is like buying a ferrari to run on indian roads...940 is also a waste of cash...If you want to OC to 965 speed, a 920 is much more than enough... I clocked mine to 4Ghz...nearly 1Ghz more than i7-965 and 1.2 more than 940...Unless you plan to OC past 4Ghz on water cooling or sth its pointless to go for 965 or 940..And if your new to OCing then you may not even achieve 4Ghz...It took me like 4hrs to get there and its still abit unstable.

Heres what you can get:

1.core i7 920-------15k
2.6gb corsair DDR3 1333-----15k PS: theres no such thing as "FSB" , its called Dram freq
3.on 22" you can get 60+fps even on a GTX280 and fps above 35 is enuf...60 will make no diffn...I suggest you spend around 20-25k on a GPU now and upgrade again in jan 2010 when the new DX11 cards will come out....So you can get:

2xMSI HD4870 crossfire---25k

4.WD 1TB HDD--7.5k

5.Tagan BZ1100---14k

6.Antec 1200---12k

7.eVGA x58 SLI--22.5k

Total--111k

You have saved 39k....In december new gfx cards from nvidia (GT3xx) and ATi(HD5xxx) are coming out...You can spend your saved cash then and get the best GPU which will last much longer and perform much better than a GTX295 now.

The 2x4870 cfx will give you more than 80fps on a 22" display.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ topgear:

Ok buddy, now letme simplify things here about our UPS connectors.. :D
--------
Here, we are talking abt the following things...

(1.) LCD/PSU's ICE 320 13 (male) o/p pins (attached to the device i.e either LCD or to the PSU)
(2.) A Power cord cable costing Rs.30/- which has ICE 320 13 (male) at one end and ICE 320 13 (female) at the other end.
(3.) UPS (SUA 1500 I ) which has 8xICE 320 13 (female) sockets

So, My PSU (Tagan BZ1100) and my Samsung LCD Monitor, both have a male ICE 320 13 pin, so the connection from the LCD & PSU to the UPS will be as follows:

LCD/PSU(1.) <---- connected using (2.)----> UPS (3.)
i.e
The female side of (2) will go into the male side of (1) and the male side of (2) will go into the female socket of (3)
---------------------------
I guess this is the correct setting.... :)
--------------------------

But, now the only question is,

How am i gonna connect my 2 pin Router's Adapter and 2 pin Speaker plug into the UPS ???:-?

==================================

Heres what you can get:

1.core i7 920-------15k
2.6gb corsair DDR3 1333-----15k PS: theres no such thing as "FSB" , its called Dram freq
3.on 22" you can get 60+fps even on a GTX280 and fps above 35 is enuf...60 will make no diffn...I suggest you spend around 20-25k on a GPU now and upgrade again in jan 2010 when the new DX11 cards will come out....So you can get:

4.WD 1TB HDD--7.5k

5.Tagan BZ1100---14k

6.Antec 1200---12k

7.eVGA x58 SLI--22.5k

Total--111k

You have saved 39k....In december new gfx cards from nvidia (GT3xx) and ATi(HD5xxx) are coming out...You can spend your saved cash then and get the best GPU which will last much longer and perform much better than a GTX295 now.

Tats right, the same thing i advised him too (except for 940) .. :)
===================
===================
===================

To all: Guys, have a look here --> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110397

Is it worth?? i guess yes, :confused:
but need ur views :)
and ur posts too.. :D

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ topgear:

Ok buddy, now letme simplify things here about our UPS connectors.. :D
--------
Here, we are talking abt the following things...

(1.) LCD/PSU's ICE 320 13 (male) o/p pins (attached to the device i.e either LCD or to the PSU)
(2.) A Power cord cable costing Rs.30/- which has ICE 320 13 (male) at one end and ICE 320 13 (female) at the other end.
(3.) UPS (SUA 1500 I ) which has 8xICE 320 13 (female) sockets

So, My PSU (Tagan BZ1100) and my Samsung LCD Monitor, both have a male ICE 320 13 pin, so the connection from the LCD & PSU to the UPS will be as follows:

i.e
---------------------------
I guess this is the correct setting.... :)
--------------------------

Thank buddy. I got the point.Can you please post a pic of that power cord & what should I exactly tell the shopkeeper to get this power cord. I don't think he will recognise it if I tell him to give me a ICE 320 13 power cord. So in simple words what should I tell him if I want to buy this power cord.

But, now the only question is,

How am i gonna connect my 2 pin Router's Adapter and 2 pin Speaker plug into the UPS ???:-?

But you can cut up the ground pin of that Rs. 30 ICE 320 13 power cord & see if this helps. Do it @ your own risk :p

To all: Guys, have a look here --> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110397

Is it worth?? i guess yes, :confused:
but need ur views :)
and ur posts too.. :D

Nice thread. It's worth it.

^^

even though u hv tat huge budget of 1.5L, it wont be too long wen u realise tat the budget jus CANNOT accomodate all ur stuff..tat too all high end.. :D believe me,

The components tat u see in my siggy, actually costs me Rs. 1.07L.... :D:D
--------------

So, u better go with i7 940, OC it and achieve speed of i7 965

Yeah,I'm getting i7 940 only:D 1.5 L will easily manage all of the stuff. :D

^:D thx man...
Dont get the 965EE its a total waste of cash...save it and get a 30" display and a GTX295 or the soon releasing HD4995x2 if it performs better....GTX295 on a 22" display is like buying a ferrari to run on indian roads...940 is also a waste of cash...If you want to OC to 965 speed, a 920 is much more than enough... I clocked mine to 4Ghz...nearly 1Ghz more than i7-965 and 1.2 more than 940...Unless you plan to OC past 4Ghz on water cooling or sth its pointless to go for 965 or 940..And if your new to OCing then you may not even achieve 4Ghz...It took me like 4hrs to get there and its still abit unstable.

Heres what you can get:

1.core i7 920-------15k

4.WD 1TB HDD--7.5k

5.Tagan BZ1100---14k

6.Antec 1200---12k

7.eVGA x58 SLI--22.5k

Total--111k

Yeah got a bit confused with FPS and frequency. :D
No it'll be i7 940 only.

I have no faith in AMD/ATI. Moreover,I'm an Intel/Nvidia fan. So,GTX 295. I'll upgrade to a Dx11 GPU in Jan 2010. That's not a problem.

Tagan? What about Coolermaster?

And ...are there any better mobos than eVGA x58 ? I mean ASUS and all.

Thanks

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^You can get asus rampage 2 extreme but wait another monh and you can get the evga x58 classified which is supposed to be better than the rampage 2.

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
^I think its coming this week!! If rumors are true it will cost 450$ in the US...nearly 30k they will charge here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom