"Multi-" Tech Jargon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multi Programming, Multi Processing, Multi Tasking & Multi Threading...
What I Need Is The Exact Description Of Each Term With Their Similarities & Differences...
Links Invited, But Answers Sayin "Google It" Arent', Coz I've Done A Lot Of It But I Can't Find A Single Page That Differenciates ALL THE ABOVE FOUR TERMS....
Thanks... :)

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
ok lemme try !!!

1. multi threading is a programing tool used to attain faster programs by executing multiple pieces of code simultaneously , makin optimal usage of the CPU time !!!

2. multi processing is the OS term for the execution of these threads !!!

3. multiprogramming & multitasking i think mean the the same ,
ie running more than one application together !!

or maybe multiprogramming in programming terms might mean integrating more than one program to run at the same time !!!

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
Well, I think he gave quite a technical answer... though to get some elaboration.... u might have to just google well. And ........... I dont think multiprogramming and multitasking are the same things.... I'll try to find the exact things and let you know!!!

--------------------------------------
*ravifriendz.co.nr
*ravishchandra.blogspot.com/

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I don't know how more technical you want. Let me see:
Well, multitasking is the ability of the OS to run, or give the impression of running, multiple tasks or programs on the CPU simultaneously.
As far as I can find out, multi programming is nothing but the task-switching capablity of the OS. Multi tasking and multi programming don't require any programming trick in the apps being run.

An OS, able to run multiple threads of the same program, at the same time is said to be multi-threading. This can only be done if the program is written to have threads and have synchronisation between them.

Multiprocessing is more of a distributed computing term referring to the generic architecture involving many processors having a shared memory. The now popular smp processors are said to be multiprocessing.
The other architecture is multicomputing, where many fully fledged computers (with their own ram) crack at a single task. Eg: Beowulf clusters

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
Well..... here it is!!!!

Multi tasking:
running more than one application in memory at the same time

The ability to execute more than one task at the same time, a task being a program. The terms multitasking and multiprocessing are often used interchangeably, although multiprocessing implies that more than one CPU is involved.

In multitasking, only one CPU is involved, but it switches from one program to another so quickly that it gives the appearance of executing all of the programs at the same time.

There are two basic types of multitasking: preemptive and cooperative. In preemptive multitasking, the operating system parcels out CPU time slices to each program. In cooperative multitasking, each program can control the CPU for as long as it needs it. If a program is not using the CPU, however, it can allow another program to use it temporarily. OS/2, Windows 95, Windows NT, the Amiga operating system and UNIX use preemptive multitasking, whereas Microsoft Windows 3.x and the MultiFinder (for Macintosh computers) use cooperative multitasking.

Multi Processing:

(1) Refers to a computer system's ability to support more than one process (program) at the same time. Multiprocessing operating systems enable several programs to run concurrently. UNIX is one of the most widely used multiprocessing systems, but there are many others, including OS/2 for high-end PCs. Multiprocessing systems are much more complicated than single-process systems because the operating system must allocate resources to competing processes in a reasonable manner.

(2) Refers to the utilization of multiple CPUs in a single computer system. This is also called parallel processing.

Multi Threading:

The ability of an operating system to execute different parts of a program, called threads, simultaneously. The programmer must carefully design the program in such a way that all the threads can run at the same time without interfering with each other.

I hope u Got it!!!!

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
Well..... here it is!!!!

Multi tasking:
running more than one application in memory at the same time

The ability to execute more than one task at the same time, a task being a program. The terms multitasking and multiprocessing are often used interchangeably, although multiprocessing implies that more than one CPU is involved.

In multitasking, only one CPU is involved, but it switches from one program to another so quickly that it gives the appearance of executing all of the programs at the same time.

There are two basic types of multitasking: preemptive and cooperative. In preemptive multitasking, the operating system parcels out CPU time slices to each program. In cooperative multitasking, each program can control the CPU for as long as it needs it. If a program is not using the CPU, however, it can allow another program to use it temporarily. OS/2, Windows 95, Windows NT, the Amiga operating system and UNIX use preemptive multitasking, whereas Microsoft Windows 3.x and the MultiFinder (for Macintosh computers) use cooperative multitasking.

Multi Processing:

(1) Refers to a computer system's ability to support more than one process (program) at the same time. Multiprocessing operating systems enable several programs to run concurrently. UNIX is one of the most widely used multiprocessing systems, but there are many others, including OS/2 for high-end PCs. Multiprocessing systems are much more complicated than single-process systems because the operating system must allocate resources to competing processes in a reasonable manner.

(2) Refers to the utilization of multiple CPUs in a single computer system. This is also called parallel processing.

Multi Threading:

The ability of an operating system to execute different parts of a program, called threads, simultaneously. The programmer must carefully design the program in such a way that all the threads can run at the same time without interfering with each other.

I hope u Got it!!!!

*ravifriendz.co.nr
*ravishchandra.blogspot.com/

ishaan

Padawan
ok heres a tip

for stuff like this, u can google using the define prefix

so i did define:multitasking...n for all the others

n many links came but the best one was wikipedia i think so here they are:

Multi tasking - *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiprogramming