MTNL too would offer 2mbps net connection start next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus999

Broken In
-----"Net to break speed barrier:

IT minister Dayanidhi Maran with President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam in New Delhi on Thursday. (AFP)

New Delhi, Dec. 14: Those who find Internet speed of 256 kbps a trifle slow have reason to cheer. The government is planning to soon provide unlimited Internet speeds.

Come January, Bharat Sanchar Nigam (BSNL) would provide Internet speed of 2 mbps for its broadband subscribers.

“Starting with 1 mbps, we would upgrade the Internet broadband speed to reach a minimum of 2 mbps by early next year,” said A.K. Sinha, chairman of BSNL.

IT and communications minister Dayananidhi Maran said as the country was moving towards an era of unlimited bandwidth, the Centre would “re-write” the broadband policy, bidding adieu to 256 kbps speed limit and providing greater speeds.

Speaking at the inauguration of the India Telecom 2006 summit, Maran added, “Maximising broadband coverage is a challenge for the telecom industry, which is targeting 9 million broadband connections by 2007.”

Maran said BSNL was targeting 5 million connections by 2007, providing an impetus to the broadband sector which boasts of 3 million subscribers.

The minister said the government would invest $20 million for the growth of the telecom sector in the country. He hoped that all schools, health institutions and panchayats would have broadband by 2008.

Telecom PSU Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL) is working on aggressive schemes to offer bandwidth at a greater speed of 2mbps and would unveil the plan in January, said MTNL sources.

Private player Bharti Airtel is also believed to be sprucing up its infrastructure to provide broadband speed at 1 mbps and higher.

Broadband Internet access is a high data-transmission Internet connection where speeds can go up to 30 mega bits per second (mbps)
.-----"

Source :*www.telegraphindia.com/1061215/asp/business/story_7142265.asp

Dunno how long would it take to actually get implemented...and other thing ; this time too im sure delhi would again get an upperhand considering upgrade to 2 mbps....like us mumbai users never got that 256kbps full day unlimited plan...like delhi MTNL users have since long.

Last edited:

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
I would be happy if they upgrade my 256kbps connection to unlimited 512kbps at the same price.
MTNL Zindabad

forever

filth is me
yipeeee, finally some good news for airtel fanatics like mysel , i wuld like them to upgrade my 128k plan to 512k , thats all , i wuld be more than happy :)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
maximus999 said:
New Delhi, Dec. 14: Those who find Internet speed of 256 kbps a trifle slow have reason to cheer. The government is planning to soon provide unlimited Internet speeds.

Wow , what will be a unlimited speed like?

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
who wants 2mbps....if they do what they say ...india would have been ahead of US :D.....i am happy with even 512kbps...yeah but that should be cheap...else no point in starting these schemes else it be just be for corporates and smaller firms ;)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
yeah BSNL MTNL Bhai Bhai... so if BSNL goes MTNL will surelly follow... egger to see what they do with our 2MBPS business account... well if its 256 to 1MBPS then its gonna be a 4 times... so can i expect 2MBPS to 8MBPS :))

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
An excellent prospect for me that BSNL will also start providing such speeds provided that is offered with an unlimited offer @ a reasonable price.... !!!! :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Go MTNL Go! MTNL is the best ISP in India, with the least downtimes, and the best upload/download speeds. The only think lacking in their service is that they do not have an unlimited plan for Mumbai. Once they launch an unlimited plan here, as is stated, I'll jump on to MTNL the next day :D.

Their service is also the best, if you keep the lineman happy. ;)

G

gxsaurav

off topic :any idea which unlimited internet providers are available in gurgaon

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Let,s see what is the response if Sify once they roll out. I will be the first to abandon if they do not keep up.

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
oh baby baby is this sweet n00s or what baby
**dances around the room ,albeit the shocked looks on his parents faces**

hash!!

________
gxsaurav said:
off topic :any idea which unlimited internet providers are available in gurgaon
doesnt airtel have its lines in gurgaon? im frm delhi... and i have a 256kbps unlimited conn. frm airtel... tho it does suck... :p

newayz... internet in india is sourced frm singapore, from what i know... i saw a trace route file which had SingTel as the source... and i guess mbps connections r gonna cost a bomb initially... but then yea, its a competitive mkt, so even the private providers r gonna come up wid similar speeds... and i read that IPtv's also gonna be launched next year... wishful thinkin....
but yea, we'l keep on waitin, like we wait for downloads to complete @ 20kbps... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom