MSI Vs Gigabyte | Same chipset diff DDR3 Speed support| suggest a Gigabyt mobo - AMD

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
Hi ,
I am planning for a mobo(AMD) based on 785G/SB710 or 880G/SB710 chipset frm gigabyte or MSI.

My questions :

1) Is MSI as good as gigabyte ?
2) Motherboard frm both having same chipsets supports different max ddr3 speeds - why ?
3) Since mem controller is integrated with CPU which does the max DDR3 speed depend on mobos instead of CPUS ?
4) Suggest me an overclockable mobo in 4.5 to 5k range based on 785G/880G chipset frm gigabyte / MSI

-thx....

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: MSI Vs Gigabyte | Same chipset diff DDR3 Speed support| suggest a Gigabyt mobo -

1. both same.
2. both have different OC potential. but in short to achieve speed of 1800-2000Mhz you need overclock your processor past 4Ghz (roughly). you can make the ram run at 2000Mhz by tweaking BIOS (provided they gave enough options) but it'll be useless as processor can't use so much speed. for AMD, stick to 1333Mhz or max 1600Mhz.
3. officially AM3 proccy support 1333Mhz. more as you OC.
4. all the board available from Gigabyte as well as MSI based on 785G can OC the processor well by 20-25%. but to achiever OC of around 50% (using H2O or NO2) will require a better board (say 890GX or 890FX).

Cilus

laborare est orare
Re: MSI Vs Gigabyte | Same chipset diff DDR3 Speed support| suggest a Gigabyt mobo -

I personally prefer Gigabyte. Till now I've used 3 AMD based rig, and all of them are based on Gigabyte.
They have very good build quality. So they are very much long lasting.
My previous mobo, Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra SLI, one of the best mobo of its time, ran for 4 years without any problem before I sold it. I've done overclocking, plugged high end GPUs like Nvidia 7900, 8800 Ultra, overclocked every components of my PC without a single problem.

My current one is also a Gigabyte one and I really love it.

OP
Power_user_EX

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter

Sounds fair enough....

But if you consider OCability then ASUS Mobo M4A785TD-V EVO has 8 VRMs while all the Gigabyte counterparts have only 4 or max 5 VRMs .... does this affect the stability while OCing to max on the Gigabyte UDxH Mobos ? Coz i m aware that more chokes/VRM are useful while increasing CPU voltages for stability....

Correct me if I m worng...

Help me choose between Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H and ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO ... also tell me the prices for both if u can.....

looking forward for some more advices... :)

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

as i replied to this pm of yours, avoid asus. better get gigabyte.

Cilus

laborare est orare

as i replied to this pm of yours, avoid asus. better get gigabyte.

I think Jas is right about ASUS. Ya, ASUS was the king of good and high performance motherboards some time ago, in fact very good in very high level mobos, say 12k to 20k mobos, but their quality has been significantly deteriorated for the lower-middle to higher-Middle class segments. Almost every one is finding some issues with those mobos. In this forum their numbers are are quite high. Even 2 of my friends over here (BBSR), suffered from ASUS 770 and 785 G based mobo. So better to avoid it.

I am not comparing Gigabyte with ASUS for performance. But for build quality, even for the lower end boards, Gigabyte is one of the world's best.

Top Bottom