MSI RS480M2-IL: My review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienTech

In the zone
darklord said:
Full ATX is always better to have.

Other than if you use a lot of extras I am not sure what the extra size would be good for. Now that I dont have to use a 1394 card a network card, a sound card, that took 3 slots. A gfx card if you dont want that.

I know that even 8 slots were not enough when you did not have any of this stuff on the mother board. Those serial/parallel combo cards were the greatest thing since sliced bread since you had 2-4 serial ports on it and 1-2 printer ports. It also saved a mouse port. A real life saver that saved you 3 slots right there. I think all mother boards made since the pentium came out had serial/parallel/mouse ports already built in.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well mostly mATX boards have onboard vide, may be thats the reason why i hate small boards...lol..just kidding.

Anyways i have always found Full ATX boards to be more robust, no specific reason as such but still.

this does NOT mean mATX is Bad.Period.

AlienTech

In the zone
ATI tray tools allows you to change the GFX GPU MHZ rates. But I dont see a differnce in anything. Other than Everest says GPU clock rates have changed...

*atitray.fangel.ru/viewtopic.php?t=42

mohit

The Hardware Labs
The latest form factor is BTX (Balanced Technology Xtended) ... it offers better cooling and many other features. it is also available in diff sizes such as pico btx , full btx etc... newer boards are supporting BTX and the good part is that our old ATX power supplies will work with BTX boards. so u will only have to change the cabinet and not the PSU.

navino87

In the zone
hard disk

hi,
what is ment by sata harddisk?What type does this mobo support?

sata1 or sata2 0r..............................

what is the difference between them?

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
say you got a cpu of 2ghz, by overclocking you can increase its speed say you made it to 2.4ghz which has chances that it would be faster than 2 ghz as it is 2.4ghz

advantage:
faster speeds

disadvantage:
you may spoil your h/w,maybe cpu,mb,if ram is synchronised to rasied fsb in amd 64bit then maybe ram etc
you mya loose warranty
you may sploil your h/w reducing life,
you may loose stability
though as for life who uses parts for more than 1-3yrs

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
different zone

@navino87 ur taking the thread to different directions by asking such questions, u can ask such questions but u can always start a new thread or ask them in Q & A member. :lol: :arrow:
Anyways i also have a MSI RS480 mobo i would like to know finally that which is the latest or the best BIOS version, graphics drivers etc available to improve the performance of this mobo???
I also bought this mobo long back i could not squeeze in a seperate graphics card so settled for onboard option and this board allows me to play each and every game. i am also a gamer but for me more than graphics playing a game at decent speed matters than the background graphics, so anyone with such requirements can sttle for this board if still no such better mobo for such a price and PCI-E option is avaiable in market, is there any :?: :shock:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
asus a8n-e may be available onwards or 8100 or lower
though i bought for 9400 and at other places ou may find >8.5,<9k etc

also,don't take corsair value select etc other ram with asus nforce 4 and check manual for rams supported and consult others after that
this mobo doesn't have onbaord video

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
desperate

hey somebody with MSI rs480 mobo solve my query inmy previous post, i am desperate to improve the output of my mobo na donboard graphics option? :lol:

AlienTech

In the zone
Try Guru3d.com as they have most of the stuff for this GFX card. But I am not sure just how much this gfx chip can be pushed. It is a rather lame gfx cpu to begin with. But you can get the atiodngov157 graphics drivers which are compatable with the ATI CCC 5.7 drivers but are more optimized for 3D. It also lets you push the gfx clock by using ATI tools built in.

The north controller chip on the mother board already heats up a lot so I had to put in a very small fan on the heat sink even with it running at the current 300MHZ, pushing it to 350 will heat it up a lot more without a fan, also whats the use of pushing it another 50mhz? It might give another 1/2 frame speed increase in some games???

The New V3.8 Bios lets you use dual core CPU's with this mother board.

AlienTech

In the zone
Wonder what happened to Versions 3.6 and 3.7.. V3.5 also lost your chance to control the chassie FAN speeds.

RS480M2

BIOS Type Award® BIOS File Sizes 348KB
Version 3.8 Update date 2005-7-29
Update Description - Support Cool and Quiet function.
- Support AMD Dual Core CPU.
- Update CPU ID.
Download 7093v38.zip
*www.msi.com.tw/program/support/dow...e_record.php?folder=1&kind=1&name=7093v38.zip

ATI System Drivers for RS480
Support model RX480M2, RS480M2
Description • ATI RX/RS480 system driver package.
• SMBus: 5.10.1000.5
• VGA: 8.12
• IDE: 5.0.0.2
• New support WinXP 64-bit OS, version: 6.14.10.6525
Date 2005-6-23
Your System OS WinXP 64-bit(20092KB)
*www.msi.com.tw/program/support/dow....php?folder=2&kind=1&name=ATI_RX480_64bit.zip

Your System OS WinXP 32-bit/2000/XP( ATI_RS480_AP01.zip 24366KB)
*www.msi.com.tw/program/support/dow...d.php?folder=2&kind=1&name=ATI_RS480_AP01.zip

AlienTech

In the zone
Really strange but I went back to using the MSI gfx drivers (ATI_RS480_AP01.zip) and installed V3.8 bios, I did not notice any difference in the bios but in XP now my load is under 10%, It used to be 20% with V3.5 bios. The OS load is 0-3% most of the time when it used to be closer to 10%. CPU shows its running @ 995MHZ due to the cool and quiet stuff. Also there are occassional spikes in the CPU/OS load history, unlike before when it used to much flatter but with a higher load all the time.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
@ alientech UR all three post r confusing..... means i did not understood them asu cleary have not mentioned which bios and drivers for onboard graphics is better or may i say best for RS480 and can u explain bit more>

taken

Journeyman
hi,

as am on to this MBD, i ve a little question.

IS THIS MBD SUPORTING ONLY DDR2 RAM OR IS IT THAT IT HAS BACKWARD COMPATIBILTY WITH EARLIER VERIONS OF RAM'S?

having a bit of confusion on this issue. if it supports ONLY DDR2, then i think i will have to stick to it striclty, hai NA!!!!

pls advice.

AlienTech

In the zone
taken said:
hi,

as am on to this MBD, i ve a little question.

IS THIS MBD SUPORTING ONLY DDR2 RAM OR IS IT THAT IT HAS BACKWARD COMPATIBILTY WITH EARLIER VERIONS OF RAM'S?

having a bit of confusion on this issue. if it supports ONLY DDR2, then i think i will have to stick to it striclty, hai NA!!!!

pls advice.

This board supports DDR400, DDR333 and DDR266 ram sticks, But if you have 2 ram sticks, it can use them in dual channel mode to access memory in 128bit's and give a 10% performance increase.

Using DDR 400 ram instead of DDR 266 gives almost a 80% increase in memory access speeds. All 4 ram slots run at the same speed, so I could not use the 512MB ram I already had which were DDR266 in it. Well it works but it works at 1/2 the speed and slows the system down a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom