MSI RS480M2-IL: My review

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_d5010

Journeyman
then what for upgrade?

So what do you think? If 6200 gfx wont give a performance boost then would onboard x300 chipset be enough to play doom3 in high settings and latest games like F.E.A.R I just wanted to ask if amd3000+ 939pin with geforce6200 on msi480 would give me any good performance for games in high settings.............please guys help me...i m now in big trouble.......

AlienTech

In the zone
This board runs @ 198MHZ, most NF4 runs @ 201MHZ so there is a 2-3% performance difference. Its not that much slower than NF4. But if you want a board with a built in DX9 graphics that will run all the latest games just not super fast, nothing beats it. You can always add a card later on if you want. It only over clocks to 229MHZ max, 220MHZ normal. RAM timing can be adjusted using A64 Tweaker. Money is an object so well it matters to me, but if not, then well buy something else.

Kniwor

Learner
AlienTech said:
This board runs @ 198MHZ, most NF4 runs @ 201MHZ so there is a 2-3% performance difference. Its not that much slower than NF4. But if you want a board with a built in DX9 graphics that will run all the latest games just not super fast, nothing beats it. You can always add a card later on if you want. It only over clocks to 229MHZ max, 220MHZ normal. RAM timing can be adjusted using A64 Tweaker. Money is an object so well it matters to me, but if not, then well buy something else.

How did to manage to take it to 229, that's what i am searching for, 220 was the max i can go.

AlienTech

In the zone
You can now overclock this MB with either CPU cool @ 229MHZ or ClockGen for ICS951412 @ 220MHZ. I am running an AMD3000+ with 2-512MB PC3500 in dual channel and using RMClock to do the cooling. So it now normally runs @ 1150MHZ and ramps up to 2060MHZ at load. You do need a heat sink on the South Bridge chip and a small fan on the North because of the increased speed as it does get really hot, which is why they under clock the GFX chip to 300MHZ normal instead of 350MHZ. You get like a 15-20% increase in memory bandwidth. The system is very cool most of the time. Just 5-10°C higher than room temperature. Oh yea when you set the FSB to 229 it will reboot WinXP but stay at that speed until shutdown. But 220FSB is not a problem. You also have to change the GPU speed from 200MHZ/300MHZ to 229/350MHZ in the bios setup. Think they did all this to save costs... No fan on the IGP/North chip and not even a heatsink on the South. I just used spare stuff from other cards.

Click here to download ClockGen for ICS951412
*www.cpuid.org/cg.php?cgid=ICS951412

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type SMSC LPC47M192/997 (SMBus 2Dh)
Motherboard Name MSI MS-7093

Temperatures
Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU 48 °C (118 °F)
SAMSUNG SP1604N 35 °C (95 °F)

Motherboard Name MSI RS480M2 (MS-7093)

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type AMD Hammer
Real Clock 230 MHz
Effective Clock 230 MHz
HyperTransport Clock 1148 MHz

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 229 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 458 MHz
Bandwidth 7322 MB/s

Athlon64 2066 MHz MSI RS480M2 (MS-7093) RS480 Dual PC3700 DDR 5281 MB/s

NOTE!!! CPUZ now will only let you go upto 220MHZ, So you have to use CPU cool/CPU FSB.

AlienTech

In the zone
ATI has released a new set of CATALYST 5.10 graphics drivers. The new drivers are available for both 32- and 64-bit flavors of Windows XP, and resolve a number of known issues and bugs.

*support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293

Hopefully they fixed the bugs from the previous version but I am reluctant to try it since the last update trashed my system.

G

gxsaurav

one thing which u guys miss that the onboard video had no vertex shader, so it won't give performance comparable to even a 6200 AGP or PCI-E in games

Kniwor

Learner
AlienTech said:
ATI has released a new set of CATALYST 5.10 graphics drivers. The new drivers are available for both 32- and 64-bit flavors of Windows XP, and resolve a number of known issues and bugs.

*support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293

Hopefully they fixed the bugs from the previous version but I am reluctant to try it since the last update trashed my system.

I'll try that out soon, 5.8 was disaster to me...

blackleopard92

In the zone
Hold on!
Firstly, the drivers.Is MSI offering older than ATI v5.10?
Should i install ATI's or MSi's?? :?:

Secondly,
To overclock the Chipset, do i have to mod ?
I have 4 fans. 2 2000rpm fans side by side covering southbridge(?) and PCi-e slot placed on cabinet case.

supersaiyan

In the zone
i think that coupling the mobo with a 6200 would be gud enuf to play the latest games at atleast 800*600 resolution with high settings don't know abt higher resolutions.
@blackleopard2- i think u should install msi's drivers cause mobo manufacturers do some or the other tweaking with the original boards and therefore the updates are released acc to that.. the ati driver must be for those ppl who bought from ati directly. so install msi's drivers.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
Still waiting

I am still for answer to my query
WHICH R THE BEST AND LATEST, DRIVERS AND BIOS VERSION FOR MSI RS480?

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Install the latest system (chipset+graphics) drivers from the MSI site. Then install the latest Catalyst over it so that only the graphics part of the drivers are replaced.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
Can u specify

Can u please specify which one, and how to go abt as i do not wanna end up installing in wrong way and wrong drivers?

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Use the MSI Live Update utility on your driver disk to get the latest BIOS.

Get the system drivers here

Then download and install the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI site.

RamboMaster

Broken In
I read in lot of forums that this Mobo has compatibility issues with Nvidia video cards like freezing up in games. Did somebody get a chance to test it?

blackleopard92

In the zone
I am having a problem.
I simply can't use the serial port.
The computer detects the port but can't dectect devices connected to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom